IGNORED

Cassette Deck, why do you have a problem with MORE options?

LilBeaver

To me the biggest deal about the cassette deck is that I am paying for equipment that I will never use.

It is no different than buying a GM car now, they all come with OnStar that I will never use and it causes there to be an ugly antenna sticking thru the roof that some day will end up leaking. But you are still paying for it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what vehicle you buy (talking mostly about cars), there are packages that you purchase. Some parts of the package you like and will use and some you don't like and won't use. Like Bruce Hornsby used to say, that's The Way It Is.

I don't know how true it is, but I can understand it. I was talking to a guy I know, he mentioned that Yamaha bought alot (like a bazillion) cassette deck units. Seems they are determined to use every last one.

I'll stick to what I got. I love it, even if I don't use all the features.

I think Bummer has it right. Change costs $$$. In this economy changes cost jobs. Wasn't it almost 2 years ago we kept hearing it's time for a change and look what's happened.

I used to complain about the roundabouts built in the city I work in. When you have 4-5 roundabouts in a 2 mile section. That is a bit excessive. I pretty much changed my viewpoint though. With all these "improvements" being built, it is keeping people employed, food on their tables and roofs over their heads. City or whomever is not gonna pay someone to just sit there all day.

I have an issue w/ my Buick, that I have neglected for a couple years. It doesn't compromise anything and I can do the work myself so it isn't any big deal, but might have the dealer do it anyway so their mechs have something to do.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

my 2009 RSV was not a Impulse Buy. I started looking for my next bike when I got my 2006 RSTD. Looked at Victory, Honda, HD. I had already decided that the RSV was not for me. I never considered Kawasaki. Had a couple of those, they just where not good fits for me. I was not going to buy until September 2011 when 2006 hit it's 5 year mark. However, after 4 years of looking at all the others the RSV just would not go away, no FI and cassette seemed to be non-important, just a good solid dependable bike became the issue. Got a terrific deal on the 2009, as the 2011's had been introduced, and a great trade on my 58000 mile RSTD. Most of my extra stuff from the RSTD fit the Venture, which also saved me money. So far I only have about 800 miles on the RSV, but love it, cassette and all.:happy34:

"The one major flaw with this bike is the rear shock. Yet my original lasted 10 years before it gave up the ghost. Some have been lucky and still have the original while others have had multiple shocks installed"

Has anyone ever looked at under what conditions the rear shock fails? I know they've been taken apart but what about under what pressure they've been ridden and how much load put on them? Is the shock more prone to fail if you run 0psi or more so if you run 4o+psi ? Or if 400lbs vs 200lbs load (rider and/or passenger) ?

One other thought on the cassette. I didn't buy the Venture because it has a cassette player. Never used it and never will. It didn't stop me from buying the bike either. For me, 4 cylinders, shaft drive, full touring bike, am/fm/cb/input, seating position, 2 up riding comfort, liquid cooled.... plus my Virago 1100 never failed me in 11 years of riding. Those were my reasons for buying the Venture.

Harley - I don't need the "attitude", the vibration from the motor (and yes I know it smooths out when moving)... and it is $5k more than a Venture

Goldwing - too big, don't need 6 cylinders, riding position wasn't comfortable for me

I wouldn't replace the cassette with gauges. Turning it into storage maybe, or wait until I find something I need to put their in its place. Until then.... cassette door stays shut.

LOL - maybe in a few years when cassette players are collectables I'll post it on eBay ! Never used !

I might consider gauges to replace the cassette deck, but I do not like anything available right now. Also, I would prefer to do it in a way that I could maintain the "stock" options of the bike...in other words, I don't want to tear up the cassette deck, nor the opening.

It's only been 10 years...maybe someone will come up with something. LOL

Personally, if I were to go out and buy a 2011 Venture or any other bike or even a car, and it had a cassette deck in it, I would not be happy. Why????? Why would I want to put out hard earned money for technology (cassette) that is no longer supported? When is the last time you went someplace (other than a truck stop) and seen cassettes for sale? Seriously! Why would you want to pay for something like that. I my opinion the cd player is a waste. It takes up a large section of the bag and for what? 5 or 6 cd's? Plug in an mp3 player and you can have hundreds if not thousands of songs. Yamaha just does not want to invest any money on a real new bike until they run out the supply of parts to build the existing bike. I think that they could come up with a nice guage package that would fit right in place of the cassette. Sell it with all of the hook ups and alot of guys would buy it. Just don't put outdated technology in the bike and expect poeple to buy it. Now it's time fo me to get up and turn the channel knob on my 1970's tv and adjust the rabbit ears.......the picture is kind of snowy.

The guys got a point here :stickinouttounge:

Here's the deal on the Venture (just a NOVICE opinion).

For very little money per bike.

Either just eliminate the cassette deck or make it REMOVABLE (turning the bay into storage).

Replace the carbs with EFI.

Upgrade the rear shock (and that would be optional).

Maybe offer ABS brakes (the biggest expense).

Work on the BALANCE of the machine (maybe even LOWER the dang thing).

But for the most part...leave it alone.

Wally

All you have to do is "Get on it and ride" and all the doubts and second thoughts will disappear!! The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!! You'll never be satisfied with more gadgets and gizmos. Its the character of the bike that makes you love it!! If you think it's not right for you , then it's time to start looking elswhere, but get something you really enjoy!! Sure, everyone wants Yamaha to update the bike, but guess what. If they came out with a new one this year, there would be people next year still looking for the latest technology! I'm gonna shutup now, I'm beginning to think I'm sounding like someone advertising for HD!!

I just find it insulting that they put a cassette in when in 1983 CD's were appearing and now there on the downslide and carbs instead of fuel injection carbs this day in age are for small lawn machinery. Someday this retro look will be left behind it's getting really boring seeing retro bikes.

I just find it insulting that they put a cassette in when in 1983 CD's were appearing and now there on the downslide and carbs instead of fuel injection carbs this day in age are for small lawn machinery. Someday this retro look will be left behind it's getting really boring seeing retro bikes.

since CD's were appearing that early, one might wonder why a CD player wasn't standard on a 1990 model???

Guest tx2sturgis

Dont be insulted. Thats a choice.

My 1994 Chevy pickup has a factory cassette player and I use it now to get audio from the XM to the stereo via a 'cassette adapter'....works well. BTW...that same Chevy pickup has manually opened windows, ( remember window cranks?) rubber floormats, and rear-wheel only ABS....and it all works exactly the same as it did 16 years ago.

CD's (and DVDs) are a fad. Even the computer makers are getting away from optical drives, although slowly. A CD and its player are more fragile than the old LPs we played in the 60's and 70's, and despite claims to the contrary, they are not particularly long lived, unless you bother to buy 'archival quality'.

our 2003 Silverado pickup has the Cassette option. We got the Bose specifically to get the cassette because my wife drives the pickup the most, and she likes some of her cassettes.

But the BOSE system in that truck is the best I have ever had before or since in a vehicle. It ROCKS. and has deep bass that will reproduce concert or jazz bass fiddle (upright double bass)

still once in a while when someone gets in the truck, they comment on the cassette player!

LOL

Yamaha is doing what ever other company is doing in this economy.They are making products that are functional and low priced to fill the needs of those who need that product.They are doing what they have to to ride out the storm.when the economy bounces back,and it will,then watch out because their will be a flood of top end, high quality ,high priced goodies all over the place.Including a new gen 3 or what ever touring bike from yamaha.The only reason kawasaki came out with a new touring bike at the worse possible time was because it was in development for years before the economy took a dive.they were committed.change is inevitable.So lets just wait and see.

still once in a while when someone gets in the truck, they comment on the cassette player!

LOL

Probably a VentureRider :duck:

Actually, when I had my 86VR i thought I was the only one who liked and used his cassette player. still have those cassettes. now only can use them in the player in the garage.

Steve

Dont be insulted. Thats a choice.

My 1994 Chevy pickup has a factory cassette player and I use it now to get audio from the XM to the stereo via a 'cassette adapter'....works well. BTW...that same Chevy pickup has manually opened windows, ( remember window cranks?) rubber floormats, and rear-wheel only ABS....and it all works exactly the same as it did 16 years ago.

CD's (and DVDs) are a fad. Even the computer makers are getting away from optical drives, although slowly. A CD and its player are more fragile than the old LPs we played in the 60's and 70's, and despite claims to the contrary, they are not particularly long lived, unless you bother to buy 'archival quality'.

Yea your right it is a choice. I guess I amazed by it. Do they even make cassettes anymore?

Edited by CrazyHorse

Guest tx2sturgis
Yea your right it is a choice. I guess I amazed by it. Do they even make cassettes anymore?

I found over 2,000 listings for cassette recorders on Amazon, and over 40,000 listings for cassette tapes.

Thats just one source.

While looking over the listings, I found this little item:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-GDI-Tape2USB200-Player-Software/dp/B003O9XJ02/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1288146118&sr=8-44]Amazon.com: Grace Digital GDI-Tape2USB200 USB Tape Player with Built-In Mic Includes PC/MAC Software: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mlU2sfTlL.@@AMEPARAM@@41mlU2sfTlL[/ame]

Yeah...cassettes are still being used today in a variety of ways.

Even a standard type cassette has more dynamic range than a CD or any digital format. CDs have the midrange compressed pretty badly, while digital formats compress everything, and the most popular formats tend to be the worst offenders. Today's digital formats are designed to satisfy the tin ears of teenagers who think bass that rattles the chrome off their beater Neon with the coffee can muffler sounds great.

If you could record a cassette off of a pristine LP you'd have far better fidelity than is available on any digital medium today. Unfortunately, since everybody's pretty much stuck recording off of CDs there's no benefit. (Suddenly my collection of LPs, that were played once to record to chrome cassette, seem oddly valuable.)

CDs and MP3 players are about convenience, not high quality audio.

That's right Steve. It's also my understanding that another example is digital photography. Digital cameras need to be at 128 MP in order to reach the quality of film. Just another example that newest is always best.

Thomas

Even a standard type cassette has more dynamic range than a CD or any digital format. CDs have the midrange compressed pretty badly, while digital formats compress everything, and the most popular formats tend to be the worst offenders. Today's digital formats are designed to satisfy the tin ears of teenagers who think bass that rattles the chrome off their beater Neon with the coffee can muffler sounds great.

If you could record a cassette off of a pristine LP you'd have far better fidelity than is available on any digital medium today. Unfortunately, since everybody's pretty much stuck recording off of CDs there's no benefit. (Suddenly my collection of LPs, that were played once to record to chrome cassette, seem oddly valuable.)

On a bike your speakers aren't going to let you get any great sound anyway. Its more about size,weight, and the ability to hold music. CD changers, cassettes are bulky and limit the amount of music you can carry around lets say for a big trip. Storage space is at a premium. I don't know about you but on a trip I don't want to keep hearing the same song 4 times with a handful of cassettes or CD's..

On a bike your speakers aren't going to let you get any great sound anyway. Its more about size,weight, and the ability to hold music. CD changers, cassettes are bulky and limit the amount of music you can carry around lets say for a big trip. Storage space is at a premium. I don't know about you but on a trip I don't want to keep hearing the same song 4 times with a handful of cassettes or CD's..

I'm not pusing the cassette, just pointing out a fact about audio quality.

I think the wind noise is a bigger problem than small speakers. You can add a power amplifier (Alpine makes one) and better speakers and get better sound. In the end you'll still lack bass and, of course, there's the wind noise...

I use a hard drive based music player simply tossed into the pouch in the trunk. Several thousand fairly lo-fi songs. I do my part by using one of the better formats. In the end, convenience still wins out over quality. Such is life.

No matter how many comparison articles you come across, the Venture usually finishes first or second in the review... in spite of the cassette deck.

In this link they compared the 2009 HD Ultra Classic Electra Glide, Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager, Victory Vision Tour Premium and Venture.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=2226349

Their comment of "Showing its age, though, it was the only bike here without a tachometer, driving lights or wind deflectors, and true to its age it was the only one with such anachronisms as carburetors, a choke lever, a petcock and (God forbid) a tape player!... but it lacks such amenities as fuel injection, available anti-lock brakes, a six-speed transmission or modern styling. Still, it was the favorite of one of our testers and garnered 12 points to tie for first! " (tied with the HD which was $4,000 more expensive).

For me, every one of their "amenities" I can and do without.