IGNORED

Check that shift lever

Bigfoot

I left last week for a 2 week ride but had to cut it short due to an injury. I left Tenn today and drove 8 hours all the way on interstate. I made the turn off the interstate to the road that was four miles away to my home. I went to downshift to slow down at the ramp and couldn't find the shift lever. I looked over the side and it was hanging over on its side. I pulled over and sure enough the bolt had come out and was gone. I was only a few miles from a Yamaha dealership so I was able to hold it on with my boot and shift as needed to this shop where it was easily fixed. Moral of the story. Check this bolt. Something I've never bothered to look at.

Hmmm with a handle of Big Foot maybe he was heavy footing that shifter too much. LOL

Seriously thou everyone needs to add a drop or two of thread locker on that bolt. Before it gets lost.

Larry

15 XW is not that big of a boot.

The exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Pulled off the freeway coming into town after a nice Sunday afternoon ride. Went to down shift and the shift lever was laying on the floor board. Looked in the manual I have for the bolt size couldn't find it. Went on line to look up the part and it still didn't tell me the size. Was in Billings a week later so stopped in at the Yamaha dealer and he didn't have one and couldn't tell me what size it was so he ordered me one. It has been over a week and no bolt so this past weekend I went to the hardware store and by guess got a M6 that fits and works until I get the real bolt.

Went on line to look up the part and it still didn't tell me the size.

With "most" yamaha fastener part numbers like the one below (this is not the Shifter Bolt part number BTW) you can get the diameter and length form the part number.

97024-06020-00 BOLT, the middle 5 digits give you the diameter and length, in this instance the its 6mm by 20mm long. This happens to be the part number for the pinch bolt for the shifter linkage.

The part number for the bolt you lost however doesn't appear to follow the same convention as "most"

90149-06280-00 SCREW This is the part number for the shifter bolt that falls out. You can still tell from the first two of the middle 5 digits that its 6mm diameter, but its clearly NOT 280mm long. 28mm is also too long I think from what I can remember.

There is however an extra one of these on your bike. Each side cover has two similar (but not identical based on part number) fasteners. The one toward the rear holds the side cover on but the forward fastener is there just for decoration but un-threads out of the cover. Others have posted this before as an on road fix.I figured it was worth repeating here and mentioning to use the one that doesn't actually hold the cover on.

RSTDdog

I left last week for a 2 week ride but had to cut it short due to an injury. I left Tenn today and drove 8 hours all the way on interstate. I made the turn off the interstate to the road that was four miles away to my home. I went to downshift to slow down at the ramp and couldn't find the shift lever. I looked over the side and it was hanging over on its side. I pulled over and sure enough the bolt had come out and was gone. I was only a few miles from a Yamaha dealership so I was able to hold it on with my boot and shift as needed to this shop where it was easily fixed. Moral of the story. Check this bolt. Something I've never bothered to look at.

Remember when you remove a bolt for any reason lock tite is the answer when putting it back on

Yep, I had that happen on the first day of a 2 week trip a couple of years ago. Pulled off an exit ramp and couldn't find the shifter. Just like you, looked down and it was on the floor board. Put it back on and made it into a gas station where I zip tied it on until I made it to a NAPA store and bought a bolt and locktite.

Dennis

Guest scarylarry
Funny,

I have put over 232,000 miles on the 2nd gens and have never had the shift lever loosen or fall off.

Do you check the bolt?

Mine fell off on my first sizeable ride. I was on my way to V7Goose's at the time, and when I called him he clued me into the spare.

Went to the dealership when I got home and asked for a replacement at their cost. They said 'no... that's a maintenance issue'. I pointed out that it wasn't really an excuse, because they had been paid just before the trip for service (oil change, IIRC), and the receipt said they had charged me to check all the bolts. Oops.

They didn't have the "special screw" (that's what the fiche called it), so they special ordered it. And it never came in and never came in. I went back in for my next service and asked them again about the screw. When I got my bike back, they'd put in a standard bolt and not the special screw.

That's when I decided that I probably knew more about my bike than they did, and weened myself off their service department.

So, in a way, having that bolt fall out did me a favor. Still would like the 'special screw' though.

Dave

They didn't have the "special screw" (that's what the fiche called it), so they special ordered it. And it never came in and never came in. I went back in for my next service and asked them again about the screw. When I got my bike back, they'd put in a standard bolt and not the special screw.

That's when I decided that I probably knew more about my bike than they did, and weened myself off their service department.

So, in a way, having that bolt fall out did me a favor. Still would like the 'special screw' though.

Dave

Dave......YOU GOT THE SPECIAL SCREW!:rotf:

Sometimes it's just TOO easy!