IGNORED

Today I'm just RSTD curious

PrairieParson

I joined the sight to gather information before I purchase a RSTD. I was hoping that I could get some questions answered so any help will be appreciated. I've owned a Honda ST1300 and am now driving a V-STrom. The V-strom is fine for short trips, but I'm 57 and would like something a little more comfortable, less susceptable to crosswinds, and better for 2 up riding.

I've never owned a cruiser so I was wondering.

How much engine heat do you get on hot days?

How does the RSTD do in the twisties in the mountains? Can you get through the corners without constantly dragging?

How does the performance of the engine differ from a typical 2 cyliner cruiser like a RoadStar? Is the RSTD a little anemic starting out without reving the motor?

Like I said, any help will be appreciated.

PrairieParson

Lubbock, Tx.

I joined the sight to gather information before I purchase a RSTD. I was hoping that I could get some questions answered so any help will be appreciated. I've owned a Honda ST1300 and am now driving a V-STrom. The V-strom is fine for short trips, but I'm 57 and would like something a little more comfortable, less susceptable to crosswinds, and better for 2 up riding.

How does the RSTD do in the twisties in the mountains? Can you get through the corners without constantly dragging?

How does the performance of the engine differ from a typical 2 cyliner cruiser like a RoadStar? Is the RSTD a little anemic starting out without reving the motor?

PrairieParson

Lubbock, Tx.

Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy your time here.

I'll go through your points in order....

Crosswinds... the RSTD has a huge sail of a wind screen. But it is also heavy, so I find the influence marginal. On the plus side, that wind screen provides for a very comfortable ride.

2 up... my wife finds it incredibly comfortable. She rode 2700 miles in 6 days, including 1200 miles in the last two days.

Engine heat... it is liquid cooled and engine heat is rarely an issue. But, stop and go in our 100+ days is pretty uncomfortable. However, that is nowhere near as bad as my Harley buddies say theirs are.

Twisties... I'm not a racer, but I can keep up with my more experienced Harley buddies without constantly scraping the floorboards. I've heard some claim that they scrape all the time. Wow is all I can say. The biggest problem I've had is that the RSTD with me aboard will coast downhill faster than my buddies, so when they loaf into curves, I'm hitting the brakes.

Anemic engine... seriously? Well, if you ride it like a v-twin, you might think so. But, when they shift out of their torquey first gear, I am going until I hit the rev limiter and they'll never catch me. This is a four cylinder that likes high RPMs and when you learn to ride it right, you'll smile at your v-twin friends like knowing parents smile at small children. Maybe you mean you rev the engine as if you are peeling out?

This isn't the bike for setting records in twisties. But if you ride hundreds of miles to the twisties, I'd rather be on an RSTD than a sport bike. It's a fabulous bike for touring or casual 300 mile days. I love my RSTD.

Dave

PrairieParson

Lubbock, Tx.

I have a Venture and a Road Star so I'll mention just a couple of points.

First, you'll drag boards on the Roadie long before you will on the RSTD. The RSTD definitely has better clearance.

Taking off will be no problem with the RSTD. I'm a BIGBOY (300+) and with the bike loaded and riding 2up I have no problem taking off on a hill. No anemia with the engine on this bike. :D

The only time I notice heat is on a really hot day and sitting still. You'll feel some blowing back on you from the fan.

If you can try one out.

I have a RSTD and a FJR so I do understand where you are coming from, two different worlds!!!!! 1 up the FJR is great but when it comes to comfort the TD is best...made even better now that all the mods are done and it has venture seats and trunk.

Heat..... dont worry about it, water cooled bikes are not that hot..

PrairieParson

Lubbock, Tx.

Your not going to be able to accomplish the same lean angle as you would with the st1300 or vstrom.

Thanks for all the info so far. I have no doubt that I will not have near the lean angle on a RSTD that I would have on a V-Strom. I don't even come close to dragging pegs on it as it is. However, I make a trip to Arkansas about once a year, and I don't want a bike that I can't lean over to some degree to make the turns. I was also concerned about power at slow speeds because some of the roads in Arkansas, are uphill with some very steep curves. I would like a bike with some grunt so that I can accelerate out of these curves. This is where the V-Strom fell short. I had to bring it down to second and hit the gas hard to keep going up.

Any further advice would be helpful. Thanks again for the information. I really like the looks of the RSTD or Voyager, so this is probably what I will be in the market for.

PrairieParson

Lubbock Tx.=The capitol of flyover country.

Thanks for all the info so far. I have no doubt that I will not have near the lean angle on a RSTD that I would have on a V-Strom. I don't even come close to dragging pegs on it as it is. However, I make a trip to Arkansas about once a year, and I don't want a bike that I can't lean over to some degree to make the turns. I was also concerned about power at slow speeds because some of the roads in Arkansas, are uphill with some very steep curves. I would like a bike with some grunt so that I can accelerate out of these curves. This is where the V-Strom fell short. I had to bring it down to second and hit the gas hard to keep going up.

Any further advice would be helpful. Thanks again for the information. I really like the looks of the RSTD or Voyager, so this is probably what I will be in the market for.

PrairieParson

I rode to Arkansas two years in a row on my RSTD. No issues whatsoever, except for the faster coasting, especially on the heavily congested Pig Trail. The first year I didn't really know how to handle the power of the RSTD, which is not low and torquey like a v-twin. But if I leave it a gear lower, so that it has higher revs, it will accelerate like a rocket. I eventually kept a bigger gap between me and the bike ahead, because the Harleys wouldn't accelerate out of the curve fast enough.

In short: is it a sport bike? No. Is it gutsier than the Harleys my buddies ride? Heck yeah. Learn to ride it properly, and you'll grin ear to ear.

BTW, my son goes to TTU. I'll be there in a couple weeks for Family Weekend.

Dave

I've had the TD since it came back out in 05 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Done the Dragon a couple of times and yes you will drag if you drive it agressively into the corners but it won't be the pipes, it will be the boards. As far as power goes, I, as well as many others here, have on occasion had to demonstrate to the Harley guys that they just don't match up off the line. I would suggest though that you might want to either replace the stock seats or perhaps have them modified. They are a killer IMHO and not worth the material they are made of, others may disagree. The TD stock pipes are fairly quiet, if you like more rumble, the Rk pipes are an easy swap out, just need to make a bracket for mounting them and they can be drilled out easily to adjust the sound. You'll love having the cruise control when your on a long trip really saves the wrist. The windshield is big and provides adequate protection. I wanted to have some tunes available so I sold off the shield and mounted a batwing fairing with an am/fm/cd player. Buy it, you won't be sorry.

You will have to shift down to get power but once you do it has plenty. I road mine for 5 days in WV in the twisties and the bike handled very well and I only scraped a couple times. I could scrape a lot if I didn't take the corner right. I was following an FJR and a couple of LC1500's and had no problem keeping up.

Just curious as to why you did not stick with the Honda ST-1300 ??

I have been considering buying one of those. I have been looking at a new 2nd gen Venture, or an ST-1300. I guess the " comfort " issure is whats holding me back on the Honda.

PrairieParson

Well be careful until you get used to the lean angle. I ride a 1st gen which can lean pretty well when I ride a Harley Roadking I sometimes forget I cant lean nearly as much which can lead to bad results. Dont ask how I know.

I have been riding on The V-4 Yamaha motor since 1986 and my RSTD since 2008.It now has 36000 miles on it and I love it.I live in Utah so there is no shortage of climbing twisting roads to ride and I have never been disappointed in the RSTD.I also rode it to and on the Dragon in 2009.3rd gear is like a universal gear for this motor and I use it a lot when hotdogging thru the mountains. It will drop down to 20mph then rocket up to 80. This is also nice in town where I leave it in third and drive it like it is an automatic trans,very convenient.

As to draging in the curves,the RSTD is lower then a standard,or your V-STrom,but I have found that a little extra air in the suspension will give you plenty of ground clearence.I have dragged it in the curves and I admit I like to lean over as far as possible,but there is enough for good fun on the RSTD.

Comfort. Well thats pretty subjective.I like the riding position,it fits me well. At 64 I like that the floorboards let me ride with my knees not as bent as on the 1st gen VR.The seat however I do not feel is real great.I have had it modified by Rick Butler and it is much better.My aging hips however tell me that I may soon be spending money on a custom seat.I bought the Yamaha studded accessory seats that are made by Corbin.In my opinion don't waste your money.They never break in and are always hard.Mine are for sale at a good price.They do look great but are not comfortable to me.You will love :) the cruise control. It is one of the best features of the bike.

Heat.What heat,it is a liquid cooled bike.The only time it gets a little uncomfortable is on very hot days in stopped traffic but then so does my car when the air conditioning is turned off and the windows down.

It is the the best cruiser money can buy and I think that the V-4 motor is a great engine for a motorcycle.It is smooth powerful and very reliable and the RSTD is a beautiful,stylish,fast and comfortable platform for this motor.Best of both worlds,great cruiser style and tourer comfort and luxury.

:backinmyday:I ride a 2001 RSTD and it is a great bike! Fits me very good, comfy and handles very good, at 6' and 215lbs. EazyDuzzit, a member on this site has a very sharp 2005 RSTD and is eager to sell. Its in the classifieds, might want to give him a call and discuss. Good luck and you can't go wrong with this bike. Great Value! I'm a senior as well. JIM.:backinmyday: :stirthepot:

Edited by jpbragwell1215

Well, you guys have sold me. It sounds like just what I've been looking for. I am official in the market. I just don't want an all black one.

George,

The ST-1300 is a very powerful, fun bike to drive. It is plenty fast, solid, handles well, gets 45 mpg if your not to heavy on the throttle, there are plenty of farkles available, the stator can run electric vest, grips etc. The moving windshield is great. Two up is no problem. You can ride with a 150 plus pound person on the back and not even notice they are there. However, it is a heavy bike at well over 700 lbs, and the motor is mounted high, which makes the bike top heavy. If you look at the ST owners web site you will see that most of the posters have dropped their bikes, because there is a special place to log the number. I dropped mine three times. It is a two man job for me to lift and at 57 I didn't want to ruin my back trying to lift it alone on a country road in West Texas. I already did that once. Its so top heavy Honda installed tip over bars, knowing dropping would be a regular problem.

But the biggest problem I had was the heat. Now if I lived in Wisc, Michigan, Canada, or the Rocky Mountains, it would have probably never been an issue, but I live in Texas, and the heat for me was just too much to take. It seems that the plastic that encloses the motor retains too much engine heat, and unless you want to start cutting up the plastic, it just never gets enough air flow to keep that heat from radiating off the bike and making 95 degree days even hotter. Also the air that does come out of the vents is so hot that it can really make your lower legs feel like their burning. Some people have even had this happen. If you look at the ST owners web site under known issues, you will see all kinds of discussion on the heat issue.

Other than that the bike is great. The stock seat is useless but theres plenty of aftermarket replacements. Valve adjustments are every 14,000 miles and is a 5 hour job if you take it too the shop. Rear tires last 8000-10,000 miles.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Prairieparson

Lubbock, Tx.=The capitol of Fly over country.

"However, it is a heavy bike at well over 700 lbs, and the motor is mounted high, which makes the bike top heavy. If you look at the ST owners web site you will see that most of the posters have dropped their bikes, because there is a special place to log the number. I dropped mine three times. It is a two man job for me to lift and at 57 I didn't want to ruin my back trying to lift it alone on a country road in West Texas. "

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you thought the V strom was heavy then you haven't tugged on a TD. There is a technique to picking up a dropped bike, don't know if you now of it but here is the short version is to get your butt down on the edge of the seat, knees slightly bent and feet a bit out in front of you so that you are leaning back a bit(facing away from the bike), grab the low side handle grip and tug it in tight to your leg, grab a good solid point with your left hand and kinda push up and back using your legs to provide the lift. Just gotta watch you don't keep going over. Oh yeah... make sure the kickstand is down so that after you have it up you don't have to try to get at it while holding up the bike( kinda important... don't ask how I know LOL)

PrairieParson

I have a RSV basically the same as the RSTD only heavier. Road to Yellowstone this summer 2 up and pulling a fully and I mean fully loaded trailer(wife thought we were going for 2 months not 2 weeks). Anyways, road the the 14a scenic bypass (Horn Mountains) and Beartooth Pass with no lack of power issues. Ive been through AK on it too. You'll have no issues with the little hills there.

Enjoy the POWER.

ps you didn't mention a comparrison to HD but the group I was with rode HD's and the ones pulling a trailer were always falling back goin up hill. :think:

Glad you are considering a RSTD. I took my 2007 from Fort Wort to Mena AR and back twice this year. Went to north to Talihina, OK & rode the Talimina Drive all the way to Mena, tent camped, rode the twistys around the area and returned to Fort Worth via Talimina Drive. Iron Mountain is a great place to camp, good showers & facilities. (Talihina has a great soda fountain/ice cream shop!) 3rd gear on the RSTD is great - lots of power. Touched the floorboards every so often when I pushed it hard. I changed my seat to a Mustang. I love the conversion factor of the RSTD. It looks great with the shield and luggage rack removed for 'round town riding! Road cruising with the wind shield on cruise control really helps the miles go by. BTW, wanted the finer comforts of fairing, radio & trunk so I traded it in for a 2006 RSV but I kept the two piece (vintage, no studs, no conshos) Mustang seat with driver backrest). Unfortunately, it will not fit my RSV. As others have said, try a RSTD and you will certainly like it!

Now I have to consider another possible alternative. I have been surprised at the number of 1st Gen. machines. I might also consider going with a 1st. Gen Venture as an alternate to the RSTD. Any opinions?

PrairieParson

Lubbock, TX=The capitol of Fly Over Country

Now I have to consider another possible alternative. I have been surprised at the number of 1st Gen. machines. I might also consider going with a 1st. Gen Venture as an alternate to the RSTD. Any opinions?

PrairieParson

Lubbock, TX=The capitol of Fly Over Country

Because of the weight? You said "the motor is mounted high" on your previous bike, which is not a problem with a RSTD. I helped a buddy lift his BMW K1200GS, which seemed heavier than the RSTD despite weighing 400 Lbs less... all that ground clearance increased the moment-arm and it was hard.

You also said earlier, "I didn't want to ruin my back trying to lift it", which makes me think you are using an improper technique. I've picked up Roxie 20 or so times :whistling: and the only thing that ever gets tired are my quadriceps. You lift with your LEGS, but you knew that.

My aforementioned buddy who had the K1200GS sold it because he was concerned about dropping it. He bought it for adventure biking, but like you he felt he couldn't lift it any more; he was late 50s and had broke his leg out in the wilds of Big Bend and couldn't lift it. So he gave up adventure biking (and Iron Butting). Now he rides a Moto Guzzi, which is much lighter, and "there isn't one on every corner." He likes people walking around his bike, wondering what it is. I can understand that, because I get the same thing with Roxie.

Good luck in your search. I appreciate your prudent sensibility.

Dave

Howdy to a fellow 'Lubbock-ite'.

I'm on an RSV (2nd gen venture) so I can't really be much help in the suggestions or opinions about 1st gens or the RSTD department - but I've put qutie a few miles on my RSV and am quite happy with it.

Family power sports (near Sam's club) has (well at least had - as of say a week or two ago) I think 2 RSTDs [pre-owned] in stock. Both were in fantastic condition with very low miles. Unfortunately [easy fellas] they were both black.

Anyhoot - I've been quite busy recently and not on here quite as much as I usually am but figured I'd post to say hi and give you a bump since I suspect we have some other members that have some input on your questions :happy34:

Keep an eye out of a green on green 01 RSV -- It just might be me :)

I a roadstar traded it in on a venture, I road that for a year I just loved it. But the wife just would not ride and it was kind of big in town (80% of my riding) So I sold it and got another R*. I love the Roadstars but I did miss the motor that was on the Venture. so when I seen a 08 new in the bike shop it was a no brainier for me the RSDT is the best of both worlds.

Here is a recent RSTD thread with additional input (mine and others) including some maintenance questions.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53557

With respect to your first gen question, I have never owned one, but have had occasion to ride one when I worked at the motorcycle shop years ago. If top heavy is a concern for you, its my recollection its going to be similar to the ST and Vstrom. That being said, with proper mods (fork brace, progressive springs) its probably still one of the fastest, best handling, full dress tour bikes you can buy.

Most all of the engine, suspension, and drive line parts are still available, but most if not all of the ancillary components you will need to find used. Going through the carbs on one thats been sitting can be an expensive propositon if it needs the vacuum pistons replaced. Last made in 1993 (Rare if you can find one) the newest one you'll find will be 17 years old.

Good luck and Welcome!

RSTDdog