IGNORED

Belt Problem - Avon Venom

Skid

Just for the record, a friend I work with had the belts come apart in his Venom over the week. He had just put the tire on his 1800 Goldwing a couple months ago before taking a trip up along the coast. The rear tire only had 4,000 miles. Avon told him that his tire was after the bad batch with the cracking problem. Don't know, but glad I got Dunlops.....:usa:

Guest scarylarry

Well I wanted to make a my loop so to say, I have Dunlop now then was going to Avon then Michellin...Looks like I will be skipping Avon for now, I will get better than 12k on the dunlap though I do have a cupping but still reasonable amount of tread....

Coworker has a 1800 wing with the avon cobra got about 5000-6000 miles on them both are cupping, the rear badly. He checks the pressures religously, trying to get the rep to do something about it. When he called the number for them they wanted to know where he got it (the #) at.They told him he needed to talk to people who sold him the tires.:doh:Heck they're the ones that gave him the # to start with.:bang head:He's allready fed up with them.

I have about 4500 miles on my set of Avons, the rear tire has large cracks where the tread is, as if it is delaminating, I called Avon and they asked about the tire pressure, I told him I run 41 PSI but when I checked it, it was at 40 PSI, he said that is the reason for the cracking and nothing can be done about it,the pressure must NEVER fall below 44PSI. I told him I did not agree for a tire to be coming apart like this but he was not very helpful and ended up hanging up on me. I guess it dont matter cause I really do not want another Avon on my bike even if it was warranted for free. And my wife and I had just gotten back from a 1400 mile trip to Virginia, on the freeway going about 85MPH.

Well, people have had issues with Metzlers chunking and failing, Avons now cracking, it appears Dunlop is having issues, their D402s are failing. (not that we use D402s on the Ventures) The stock Bridgestones just suck. Looks like my next set might have to be Michelin.

Had my best luck with the Avons. Metzelers failed on me twice and that was 2 times too many. I was partial to the Elite 2's on my first gen. Im sure any tire can have its failures from time to time. Maybe we should all run a solid tire from a large handtruck instead..LOL :smile5::smile5::smile5:

Coworker has a 1800 wing with the avon cobra got about 5000-6000 miles on them both are cupping, the rear badly. He checks the pressures religously,

Cupping comes from underinflated tires. Did your friend happen to mention what pressure he was religously running the Avon's at?? A lot of riders will try to soften the ride by running pressures lower than max, rather than adjusting the suspension....

I had 16000 on set of Avon Venom X when they where changed and probably had more i could have put on them, however was going on long trip and didn't want to chance it. next set had 14000 on them when I traded bike. That was on a 2006 RSTD. I had a set of dunlaps with approx same millage. I just like the Avons because they seem to be quieter. I put Avons on my new 2009 venture, scrapped the bridgestones before i even rode it across the street. I'll let you know this summer how the Avon's hold up on the venture, although I'm hoping for the same result as the RSTD.:Venture:

i have had 3 set of avons first 2 were replaced under warranty i had to pay labor , all three sets front and back would crack after 3 or 4 months, 3rd set avon would not replace ,i love have the avons ride , went to the dunlope elete 3s love them but dont seem to grip as well ,but ride great:Venture:

i have had 3 set of avons first 2 were replaced under warranty i had to pay labor , all three sets front and back would crack after 3 or 4 months, 3rd set avon would not replace ,i love have the avons ride , went to the dunlope elete 3s love them but dont seem to grip as well ,but ride great

I replaced the first two fronts under warantee. The first tire I paid for the labor, the second time the labor was paid by Avon. You'll never get them to pony up the labor unless you ask.

here is my only questions about replacing these defective avon tires......:starz:

why in sam help would you keep installing a product that could kill you??:scratchchin:

who cares if it was free, or even if they paid you to install them??

i had a set, never again and no second chances to kill me or my family.

here is my only questions about replacing these defective avon tires......:starz:

why in sam help would you keep installing a product that could kill you??:scratchchin:

who cares if it was free, or even if they paid you to install them??

i had a set, never again and no second chances to kill me or my family.

I was probably the first one to report the checking on the Venoms in '07 after the Susanville gathering on the '83. Since there wasn't any history like there is now, I went ahead and chalked it up to a fluke, and also since I had the tire up into the triple digits I wasn't worried about any catastophic failures. The second tire started checking right from the git-go and it was built within 2 weeks of the first tire. Now it was looking like a bad batch. The third tire built much later hasn't checked in over 6000 miles, and it's still going strong. I did replace the tires on the '99 with E3's, but still have a set of Venoms for the '91 waiting in the wings. The checking is discerning, but to my knowledge there has never been a catrosphic failure like those with the Metzlers. But let's face it they'll all kill you if you let them.... No tire is 100%.

tis true that no tire or anything is 100%.... however the concern here is??

if the cracks don't worrie you in the first place.... uhm? why bother changing them at all?

if my bungee cord company keeps giving me a bad batch, should i keep thanking him untill the cord breaks?

to each their own, i can understand giving a product a second chance, but for cryin in a bucket, how many times do you roll the dice?

i had a blow out in 05 with 5 day 0ld venoms with 2300 miles on them.. they will never get another chance. there are too many other quality choices out there, for me to risk it all over a free second chance.

enjoy the ride guys.

Well, people have had issues with Metzlers chunking and failing, Avons now cracking, it appears Dunlap is having issues, their D402s are failing. (not that we use D402s on the Ventures) The stock Bridgestones just suck. Looks like my next set might have to be Michelin.

Elite 3"s are the only way to go

tis true that no tire or anything is 100%.... however the concern here is??

if the cracks don't worrie you in the first place.... uhm? why bother changing them at all?

if my bungee cord company keeps giving me a bad batch, should i keep thanking him untill the cord breaks?

to each their own, i can understand giving a product a second chance, but for cryin in a bucket, how many times do you roll the dice?

i had a blow out in 05 with 5 day 0ld venoms with 2300 miles on them.. they will never get another chance. there are too many other quality choices out there, for me to risk it all over a free second chance.

enjoy the ride guys.

And your saying the blow out was due to side wall checking or cap seperation?? I think there's more to your story than's being mentioned here... And can I assume that if you blow another brand tire you won't replace it with that brand either? Also read my post again. I was not worried about a catastrophic failure due to the conditions it had been ridden under, but the checking was discerning.... Ergo, the request for a warantee. I'm not rolling dice, I'm riding a bike. If you feel that all failures are the fault of the tire, than by all means keep changing brands. What ever floats your boat..... But that doesn't mean that boat is for everyone...

And your saying the blow out was due to side wall checking or cap seperation?? I think there's more to your story than's being mentioned here... And can I assume that if you blow another brand tire you won't replace it with that brand either? Also read my post again. I was not worried about a catastrophic failure due to the conditions it had been ridden under, but the checking was discerning.... Ergo, the request for a warantee. I'm not rolling dice, I'm riding a bike. If you feel that all failures are the fault of the tire, than by all means keep changing brands. What ever floats your boat..... But that doesn't mean that boat is for everyone...

your assumption would be correct sir, and please don't take my remarks as an attack on your person, i just wanted and answer for my own curriosity about how people value the dollar over the safety?

the cracks were down the center of the tread, just the same as some of my metzler tires were on earlier bikes. i liked the way the metzler performed, yet the cracks spooked me away from them.

i have run several sets of michelins and they are a great product "for me"

i have a set of e3's on at the moment and i'm still on the fence at this point, they wear very well, they handle the rain very well, but they are noisey..... i'm not sure just yet??

and just to keep things on an even "keel"..... i'm not floating a boat, i'm riding a motorcycle:thumbsup2:

ok? why were the cracks discerning?:scratchchin: