IGNORED

Camping tent info needed

deltaladyrider

I love to camp. This past week end was a camping date for me. Found out real quickly I needed a new tent for wind and cool temps. Need some help on picking a tent that has windows and doors that can be covered. Also want a tent with rain fly that goes to the ground. Something of a 4 season type.

I like the Timberline A frame style, 6 person tent.

easy set up and take down.

it is the perfect size for 2 people and tall enough to stand in and dress.

have used this tent for years in all types of weather, with the fly waterproof and retains heat real well.

Also use their 4 man A frame when I'm by myself.

Very user freindly. One person can set this up after 2 or 3 times in less than 10 minutes.

Can be found at Sportmans Whse. , I paid 299.00 on the net.

Cabela's shows the 2 and 4 person tents in thier catalog. The 6 person is the way to go.

Both ends completely open, with screened and covered windows, excellent air flow.

when I travel with my trailer I carry 2 cots, but usually sleep on a cabels self inflating matress, 25X78X2.

One for your list to check out.

Edited by Shamue
spelling

I bought a 2 man tint from wal-mart because it would fit in the saddle bags...alright for 70 degree weather, any cooler and its useless. I'm scared to try it in the rain. I've pretty much have given up on it..sleeping on the ground even with an air mattress has gotten old quick.

Cabelas has a cot tent I really like but one would have to have a trailer to store it.

I really like one of the above posts on using a hammock and stretching a tarp over it.....looks like the most practical and comfortable.

I sew my own but you can find some high dollar camping hammocks at several places.

www.junglehammock.com

www.speerhammocks.com

Just to list a few.

REI and Gander Mountain sell camping hammocks. I really have thought about them, but on my recent trip, both campgrounds didn't have sizeable trees. The arid SW is kinda treeless.

And a mighty fine tent company to boot. Just purchased the Mountain Pass which is rated as a 3 person however i would never try more than 2 in it. This tent has great ventilation, rain fly to the ground, two doors with small vestibules on both doors. fairly compact for packing and just a great overall tent. Not sure if it is 4 season but definetly a 3.5'r. These are not the cheapest however as always you generally get what you pay for. If you check out their website make sure to check on both their A and B models. These are generally tents that have minor flaws but nothing tht effect function.

All the best.

Norm

I went thru many of the cheaper tents and went thru leaks, rips, etc. Finally got a Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent about a dozen years ago and have never regretted it. It's been thru some huge winds and even a flash flood with no problems. It's pricier, but if you only wanna buy one to last awhile, I can't complain about this one.

Guest Swifty

If you need the four season that'll survive a blizzard, those Alaskans from Cabelas are pretty good. I bought one BUT I took it back the next day for refund, ONLY because it took forever to set up... lots of poles.

I wanted convenience and paid the big bucks for it.

http://www.atuffy.com/index.cfm

I went with the 4 man, stand up inside, fits my luxo cot, full fly with gable ends over huge windows/doors on each side, very slick setup and take down procedure once you get the hang of it, door flaps are on the inside of the screen though...may not be what you want. AND it survived the Wisconsin flood/wind last week of July, 2010 while my neighbour's Eureka/Coleman/Walmart brand, and thousands of others in the Oshkosh campground, were scrambling for their cars in the middle of the night...scariest night I've spent in a tent.

If you need the four season that'll survive a blizzard, those Alaskans from Cabelas are pretty good. I bought one BUT I took it back the next day for refund, ONLY because it took forever to set up... lots of poles.

The first couple of times it took awhile, but after we got the pattern down, my wife & I can have ours up in 10 minutes. She's even put it up alone (but she said it did take her "a bit" longer). Ours is the 6 man, which is great for the 2 of us on a queen matress with some room to maneuver. It only has 6 poles. I'm sure there are others that are just as good...we've had good luck with this one though.

This is the one I bought last year to pack on the scoot. It sleeps two is very compact and goes up quick and easy. It also withstands some real stormy weather. At one piont so much water got under the nylon floor that it felt like i was on a water bed, but none of that water managed too leak through.

http://store.eurekatent.com/products/364755/Spitfire_2_Tent

Eureka has quite a selection of tents for all sorts of camping. check out there site

http://www.eurekatent.com/

Guest Swifty
Now most of the time, while traveling, I drag the trailer, I picked up a 2 person Cot/Tent from Bass pro shop. fits in my trailer nicely., I stop at security parking rest areas, and claw in. I just let the guard no I'm there.

What and where are "security parking rest areas"?

What does "claw in" mean?

Lots of products available. Depends on how large & heavy you want. Cabela's Deluxe XPG™ 2 person Tent is what I've used this year. Works great, full size rain fly, ventilation works & is sized right - fits in saddle bag. Their Alaskan Guide self-inflating sleeping pad and Eureka sleeping bag rounds out my camping package. Everything packs on the bike.

Here's a thread I began back in '07:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20735

After much research and a little experimenting we finally settled on this:

http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--Eureka-Timberline-2-Person-Tent--745727.uts.shtml

Pros: It's been a good tent. Very solid and stable. It's excellent quality, and appears to be able to withstand any kind of weather we might typically encounter.

Cons: It takes-up more space in the trailer than I like. It's not the most simple tent to set-up, and that means a lot when you have been out on a long ride, it's raining, and you have to set it up in the dark - and ... you're in a grumpy mood because of all of the above.

Some things I have learned about tent camping so far:

If you're camping at a place with a plug-in like a KOA, it's really nice to have a small desk fan to take with you if you expect really hot weather. Good ventilation is a big plus. Easy set-up is much nicer. Get off the ground with a good-quality, pad. Nice cots with a pad are pretty cozy too. I like a tent in which I can stand-up to get dressed. It's also nice to have enough extra room in your tent to keep stuff that you want easy access to. A quick-drying tent is important. You don't want to have to pack a wet tent for all sorts of reasons. Practice setting-up your tent in your own backyard before you really need to do it on the road. Make it more realistic by doing it after having an argument with your better half, when you're both tired and in the dark. You can even leave all of your tent stakes in the garage, and try this during a windstorm. :doh:

Maybe we will look in to a tent trailer this next year!

Be Safe!

Pete.