IGNORED

Hello from a potential new owner

Hi All,

Been poking around the site and am thinking about jumping in.

I wasn't looking for a new bike but while getting my '04 Concours inspected at the local Yamaha dealer saw a leftover ('08) RSTD. Man what a great looking bike! Here's the dilema - I wasn't looking to add another bike to the garage until my Connie hit a 100k miles (next Spring) BUT... they don't make these anymore and I would hate to pass up the opportunity to buy a new one. I've checked with over 10 dealers and there are a total of 3 (new) local bikes available, 2 '08 and 1 '09.

So... If you've got a couple of minutes, a few questions I have are,

Any regrets from those of you that have had one awhile?

I do ALL my own work on the Connie, oil changes - tires - valve adjustments - etc.. and she's pretty heavily farkled, is the RSTD owner friendly as far as maintenance goes? Connie's valves are spec for adj at 6k miles but I go 10 - 12k and find only 1 or 2 slightly out - what's the interval if any on the RSTD - the stealer said 12k then asked the mechanic and was told 22k???

I guess the last question (for now) is $$$ The dealer is asking $13k for a 2 year old leftover - a bit high (I think) as the invoice was about $12,3xx when it was new on the floor back then. I figure I'd offer a lowball # and hope for the best. What do y'all think would be a fair price based on your purchases?

Hope to hear from ya's and maybe meet some of you on the road.

Thanks for any help and/or info you can provide.

Sean B.

COG # 5993

IBA # 17160

13000 is high. If you are willing to travel, I see one in cambridge minn. Its an 08 with 1 mile for 11,000. As far as maintenance on the rstd just about everything you need to know is on this site.http://www.larsonscycle.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=2938479E-02X10K2K2010J9I07I22JPMQ195R0&veh=53980&pov=1754939

13000 is high. If you are willing to travel, I see one in cambridge minn. Its an 08 with 1 mile for 11,000. As far as maintenance on the rstd just about everything you need to know is on this site.http://www.larsonscycle.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=2938479E-02X10K2K2010J9I07I22JPMQ195R0&veh=53980&pov=1754939

Thank you much, that's more in line with what I was thinking.

Hi All,

Been poking around the site and am thinking about jumping in.

I wasn't looking for a new bike but while getting my '04 Concours inspected at the local Yamaha dealer saw a leftover ('08) RSTD. Man what a great looking bike! Here's the dilema - I wasn't looking to add another bike to the garage until my Connie hit a 100k miles (next Spring) BUT... they don't make these anymore and I would hate to pass up the opportunity to buy a new one. I've checked with over 10 dealers and there are a total of 3 (new) local bikes available, 2 '08 and 1 '09.

So... If you've got a couple of minutes, a few questions I have are,

Any regrets from those of you that have had one awhile?

I do ALL my own work on the Connie, oil changes - tires - valve adjustments - etc.. and she's pretty heavily farkled, is the RSTD owner friendly as far as maintenance goes? Connie's valves are spec for adj at 6k miles but I go 10 - 12k and find only 1 or 2 slightly out - what's the interval if any on the RSTD - the stealer said 12k then asked the mechanic and was told 22k???

I guess the last question (for now) is $$$ The dealer is asking $13k for a 2 year old leftover - a bit high (I think) as the invoice was about $12,3xx when it was new on the floor back then. I figure I'd offer a lowball # and hope for the best. What do y'all think would be a fair price based on your purchases?

Hope to hear from ya's and maybe meet some of you on the road.

Thanks for any help and/or info you can provide.

Sean B.

COG # 5993

IBA # 17160

Hello, and welcome to the site. I trust that you will find this a most welcoming and useful place. There is a TON of knowledge around here!

I have a 2006 RSTD that I bought in 2008 with 2002 miles. I now have just about 50,000 miles on Roxie. She is a fabulous bike, and I have no regrets.

One of the reasons I love her so much is that I do all the maintenance, with the exception of the valve work. I'll do that, but don't know how yet. Both the stealer and the mechanic are wrong. From the Service Manual (p 29 of the supplement):

4. Valve Clearance -- Check and adjust the valve clearance when engine is cold: Every 26,600 miles (42,000 Km)

I'll attach the service schedule for your use.

Now that I think on it, I'll definitely do the next valve service. The stealer returned my bike to me after 4 hours. How could the engine be cold in that time? In Houston? It's not like he pushed it into a snowbank.

If there is one general complaint that I have, is that the dealer's here are pretty poor. Well, the one 10 minutes from me is bad. Told me he works on Big Dogs... no one seems to know anything about the Royal Star Venture/Tour Deluxes. Luckily, I am blessed in my area to have a number of VR.org members with superb knowledge.

Sorry, I can't help you on pricing. I got mine by essentially taking over payments from a guy who bought it new and decided to stop riding.

Again, welcome!

Dave

IBA# 39330

Being you are a First generation Concours owner (an 04 concours is like a ZG1100 A-18 or something like that), you'll appreciate the technology or lack there-of in the RSTD.

This motor, like the Concours, is virtually unchanged in its base form since it was introduced in 1984, withthe exception of tuning and power variation between the models it is used in and a bump in displacement from 1200 to 1300 cc (original 1st gen venture and Vmax, and 2nd gen venture and and Royal Stars)

You can synchronize the carburetors without pulling the fuel tank which is nice and is generally easy to maintain.

The only known issue is the gear whine. Intrinsic to the straight cut gears used in this engine, some have it worse than others. Search here and the 2nd gen forum for more discussion on this topic than you can stand.

I can tell you my only regret (my prior bike having been an ST1100ABS TC) is that there is no sport aspect to his bike at all. Coming off a Concours, you will be scraping the floor boards. Knock 10-20mph of the speed of your favorite road on the Connie depending on your ability to tolerate your feet being pushed on accompanied by scraping sounds.

That being said, the fact I live in Florida makes this an ideal bike since the majority of the curves are the interstate on ramps. Passenger comfort was also a consideration for me and the looks and cruise control won me over hands down. I am mostly about the touring these days, but a recent trip to indy via North Georgia, Deals gap, the Skyway and other roads had me wanting more sport on ocassion.

Unless you are dead set on a brand new one, there are a bunch of these out there used, with low miles (less than 5K miles) in the 5-8k range depending on the year/miles. The value on these unfortunately tanks pretty badly. If you are going to put 100k miles on it, than that doesn't really matter. There has been an 06 midnight with 9k miles for sale by me on craigslist for about 6 months now. He started at 8K and is now down to $6900 (Midnights are black with extra chrome from the factory, The S models also have extra chrome).

If you want a new one to get the 5 year warranty, be sure that the in-service date with Yamaha Corporate is the day you take delivery. Sometimes a dealer will buy (or have an employee buy) left over bikes in inventory in order to take advantage of any incentives before they expire. The problem is the warranty clock starts ticking at this point and the "new leftover" may not have 5 years warranty remaining. If the dealer is ethical he should advise you if this has occurred.

Good luck and be sure and post back what ever you decide. What you ride doesn't matter around here.

RSTDdog

Bj, thanks for the link - I'm waiting on a call back from the dealer. That may be the one!

Dave and Derrek, Great info - thanks very much. I like that long valve check interval, and actually do like the fact that the bike has carbs. I've been using a Morgan Carbtune on the Conc for awhile and think it'll work just fine on the RSTD. Does it have a spin on oil filter too? I had to put a kit in the Kawi to get a spin on. The gear whine shouldn't bother me all that much as the valvetrain racket on the Conc will make a non owner think there's something wrong with the engine. I'm an "old school" kinda guy in that I like to be able to work on things myself and when something on the bike takes a dump - not needing a computer to diagnose it is a plus. Same with my boat engines - 325 horse 350 ci , carbureted chevy's - no smog control, no computers - engines the way they were meant to be. Just like wrenching when I was a teenager.

I have given some thought to the RSTD's lack of lean angle - I currently live on Long Island (NY) where that's not a problem but am retiring and moving to Georgia next Fall. I figure I'll make the RSTD my 2 up and commuter bike and keep Connie to thrash about in the twisties. I love taking her down the Blue Ridge and thru the GSMNP along with the Dragon and every other squiggly line I can find on the map down there. One thing that I'll need to get used to is not being able to stand in the saddle like I can on the Concours, I wonder if the weight on my lower back will turn out to be a problem??

I'm really leaning towards a new one for 2 reasons - first is of course the warranty 5 yrs!( great heads up btw regarding the in service date). I thought the Connie's was good at 3! Number 2 is, I like to know that it was broken in and taken care of properly, this way if a problem pops up down the road I'll know the history and not wonder if it was a lack of maintenance snafu.

Thanks again for the replies - if you guys are indicative of the caliber of person on this site and riding these bikes - I may have found someplace as good as the COG and am looking forward to joining you all.

Best regards,

Sean B.

COG # 5993

IBA # 17160

Bj, thanks for the link - I'm waiting on a call back from the dealer. That may be the one!

Dave and Derrek, Great info - thanks very much. I like that long valve check interval (FYI Its a shim motor, so when the time comes you will possibly need access to the shims), and actually do like the fact that the bike has carbs. I've been using a Morgan Carbtune on the Conc for awhile and think it'll work just fine on the RSTD (The Morgan is popular here and used by many). Does it have a spin on oil filter too? (YES!) The gear whine shouldn't bother me all that much as the valvetrain racket on the Conc will make a non owner think there's something wrong with the engine. I'm an "old school" kinda guy in that I like to be able to work on things myself and when something on the bike takes a dump - not needing a computer to diagnose it is a plus. Same with my boat engines - 325 horse 350 ci , carbureted chevy's - no smog control, no computers - engines the way they were meant to be. Just like wrenching when I was a teenager.

I have given some thought to the RSTD's lack of lean angle - I currently live on Long Island (NY) where that's not a problem but am retiring and moving to Georgia next Fall. I figure I'll make the RSTD my 2 up and commuter bike and keep Connie to thrash about in the twisties. I love taking her down the Blue Ridge and thru the GSMNP along with the Dragon and every other squiggly line I can find on the map down there. One thing that I'll need to get used to is not being able to stand in the saddle like I can on the Concours, I wonder if the weight on my lower back will turn out to be a problem?? (If you cut off the heel shifter, you can get both your feet (balls of your feet) on the rear of the floor boards, they are not quite under you, but you can elevate from there. I'm 6'2", and when I ride solo I put my heels back on the passenger floor boards, to change the weight position on the seat. A driver backrest is also a nice addition to consider)

I'm really leaning towards a new one for 2 reasons - first is of course the warranty 5 yrs!( great heads up btw regarding the in service date). I thought the Connie's was good at 3! Number 2 is, I like to know that it was broken in and taken care of properly, this way if a problem pops up down the road I'll know the history and not wonder if it was a lack of maintenance snafu.(There are some low mileage used RSTD listed in the classified here as well. I bought mine used down here from a Craigslist ad. The original owner was from Minnesota and had bought it new at Larsen's of all places.)

Thanks again for the replies - if you guys are indicative of the caliber of person on this site and riding these bikes - I may have found someplace as good as the COG and am looking forward to joining you all.

Best regards,

Sean B.

COG # 5993

IBA # 17160

Your Welcome! Good Luck! RSTDdog

Hi Brad, Thanks for the welcome, I'll be sure to post pics if I do pick one up.

Hunter, Thanks for the info, glad to read guys are loving this bike

Thanks again for the answers RSTDdog - good info - I'll have to look hard at some of the used ones out there

I used this site when I decided to purchase a RSTD!

http://www.cycletrader.com/Yamaha-Royal+Star+Tour+Deluxe-Motorcycles/search-results?type=Motorcycle|356953&make=Yamaha|2321194&model=Royal+Star+Tour+Deluxe&year=2000:2012&zip=37422&radius=any&sort=price:asc&newsort=1

My needs were very specific. I wanted a RSTD with less then 10,000 miles Black over red, which meant an 05 model, and garage kept. Spent several months looking and finally found one in Ohio that meet my criteria. This was in 08 so she still had 2yrs warranty. The warranty does transfer with ownership.

I now have 30,000 plus on her. I have ridden her across the US and 1/2 of Canada taking her to every state except North Dakota, Alaska, and Hawaii. Do my own maintenance, after consulting the guru's of this website, and absolutely love the bike!!

I want to transport her to Europe one day and tour there. I know I could rent a bike there cheaper, but you see, in my mind she is one of kind, like no other!

Dave and Derrek, Great info - thanks very much. I like that long valve check interval, and actually do like the fact that the bike has carbs. I've been using a Morgan Carbtune on the Conc for awhile and think it'll work just fine on the RSTD. Does it have a spin on oil filter too? I had to put a kit in the Kawi to get a spin on. The gear whine shouldn't bother me all that much as the valvetrain racket on the Conc will make a non owner think there's something wrong with the engine. I'm an "old school" kinda guy in that I like to be able to work on things myself and when something on the bike takes a dump - not needing a computer to diagnose it is a plus. Same with my boat engines - 325 horse 350 ci , carbureted chevy's - no smog control, no computers - engines the way they were meant to be. Just like wrenching when I was a teenager.

I have given some thought to the RSTD's lack of lean angle - I currently live on Long Island (NY) where that's not a problem but am retiring and moving to Georgia next Fall. I figure I'll make the RSTD my 2 up and commuter bike and keep Connie to thrash about in the twisties. I love taking her down the Blue Ridge and thru the GSMNP along with the Dragon and every other squiggly line I can find on the map down there. One thing that I'll need to get used to is not being able to stand in the saddle like I can on the Concours, I wonder if the weight on my lower back will turn out to be a problem??

I'm really leaning towards a new one for 2 reasons - first is of course the warranty 5 yrs!( great heads up btw regarding the in service date). I thought the Connie's was good at 3! Number 2 is, I like to know that it was broken in and taken care of properly, this way if a problem pops up down the road I'll know the history and not wonder if it was a lack of maintenance snafu.

Best regards,

Sean B.

COG # 5993

IBA # 17160

Hope it all works out for you. That dealer is where I bought mine. I am happy with them. They are located about 50 miles north of Minneapolis. So its a bit of a jaunt for me to go over there.

Rj & Bj

Thanks for the additional info, I'm trying to buy the one at Larsons - they say it's a problem to finance out of state buyers due to the new credit regs. I have to be present in Larson's to converse with the Yamaha bank rep(even though it would be via phone).

I've debated doing a fly and ride - but for the amount of a plane ticket( I hate flying btw), hotels, car service and my time, the #'s don't make much sense compared to the (only)$564 it would take to ship it - if they could finance it via phone and mail. It's still a better price than the local dealer though. And it really doesn't pay for me to drive out there from NY with my trailer to pick it up - the F250 gulps gas so fast it just doesn't make $$$ sense to go get it.

Cash, unfortunately, isn't an option until next June so I'm trying to work something out.

There are a few other new ones out there - just not for this price.

Fingers crossed...

I know you were looking for new, but here's an 08 with 667 miles for $9300.

Don't know anything about this bike, but to me, as soon as you drive a new one off the lot, what's it worth. Might be worth looking at. Either way good luck.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/2000968764.html

My next door neighbor offered this seller $8000 and the seller said he'd take $8500. Looks like a great deal to me.