IGNORED

Getting a first bike soon and need a gear checklist!

GAWildKat

Ok, in the next few days to about 3 weeks give or take Hubby gets his first bike, maybe 2 if the price is right.

Now I do have a bike jacket but is has no armor. What should we be getting in terms of gear for riding as well as other things not often thought of?

Armored leather and mesh jackets

armored pants or the kevlar that goes under

boots

gloves

rainsuits

helmets (what do y'all recommend there for bluetooth and intercom/music capablities?)

Bike covers

Yes this will be his first bike (bikes) and he wants the bike he learns on to go to me so we can ride together when we take trips within the state.

I know we are both new to this and yes we will be doing an MSC approved course before we get too involved.

Yep ya need all that gear. If you're going with blue tooth headsets I'm sure somebody can recommend something I have no experience with that. Definitely need boots, Kevlar or armored jacket should be good. Anything to help protect you in the event of an accident. Mesh is great in the summer, might want to check into the jackets that have three parts this way it's one purchase and ya get all you need. Good luck

Margaret

I recommend http://newenough.com/ as a place to check for gear. Their prices beat just about everyone.

The best of all worlds is kevlar plus armor. Kevlar to stop the road rash, and armor to protect bones from impact. That said I don't own kevlar and use a cloth jacket with easy open flaps to let in air and that has shoulder and elbow armor. I have a set of Bohns to wear under bluejeans. http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/products.php?cat=17

Hubby will most likely need the armored leather and mesh jackets. He overheats alot easier than I do. Personally for me, I'd rather have the mesh as a just in case it's too hot outside like this summer was. My jacket is good enough save that it doesn't have armor. It's toasty in the winter. I just don't want to second guess myself when it comes to the gear.

I have a leather coat and a mesh jacket. I wear the mesh jacket almost exclusively. Now saying that the leather jacket affords the most protection in a slide but is the hottest to wear. It is nice on cold days. Now living in Macon you probably don't get a lot of really cold days. The mesh jacket has removable pads and a removable liner and has plenty of zippers for air flow. It is a lot more versatile and not as heavy to wear. It still gets hot in the summer because it is black even if I take the liner out and open the zippers to get more air flow.

For the pants I wear leather chaps. The are warm in the winter and the are warm in the summer. So I usually don't wear them in the summer. I can not comment on the kevlar padded pants.

You will need a tool kit. The bike probably comes with a tool kit but you need to add American Standard tools to the metric if you have any add on's that take American Standard sizes.

You may want to had a tire repair kit and an air pump. You may want to add a few extra fuses on top of the few that are in the fuse box.

You can take a can of windshield cleaner also so you can clean the bugs off the windshield.

Guest tx2sturgis
Ok, in the next few days to about 3 weeks give or take Hubby gets his first bike, maybe 2 if the price is right.

Now I do have a bike jacket but is has no armor. What should we be getting in terms of gear for riding as well as other things not often thought of?

Armored leather and mesh jackets

armored pants or the kevlar that goes under

boots

gloves

rainsuits

helmets (what do y'all recommend there for bluetooth and intercom/music capablities?)

Bike covers

Yes this will be his first bike (bikes) and he wants the bike he learns on to go to me so we can ride together when we take trips within the state.

I know we are both new to this and yes we will be doing an MSC approved course before we get too involved.

It would be helpful if you can find an experienced rider near you, one who rides the types of bikes you are looking at, to help you.

Just throwing money at the dealer does not mean you will be getting exactly what you need or even want. Do your homework.

I think music and intercoms are fine later on, but avoid the use of bluetooth-to-cellphone hookups while you two are in the learning mode. You do NOT need that distraction right now. I'm not a fan of rider-to-passenger intercoms, but if used sparingly I'm not against them either...and I'm well aware that many couples do use them and enjoy the conversation.

In the early stages of the learning experience, you wont be needing good expensive rainsuits, ( cheap ones will suffice if you really WANT them) because you will be mainly taking local rides, and should be avoiding riding on rain-slick roads during the first month or two of riding. Riding on wet roads requires a rider to maintain smooth-steady control inputs, as well as be comfortable with braking and paying close attention to the surface your riding on. These skills wont be fully developed until you have a few thousand miles of riding.

Welcome to the WWM. ( Wonderful World of Motorcycling) !!!

I suggest, and use these.. they are mesh, with a rain liner that zips inside, and an insulated liner zips inside the rain liner.

depending on how you wear it, I find it good from high 80s down to low 40s, and the two liners take up a lot less room in my bags when on a trip.

I do also have a pair of rain over pants and chaps for when I wear jeans instead of my riding pants. But that is usually only on short day trips.

www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Venture-Air-Pant-p-227_4.html

www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Intake-Air-Series-2-Jacket-p-269_3.html

It would be helpful if you can find an experienced rider near you, one who rides the types of bikes you are looking at, to help you.

Just throwing money at the dealer does not mean you will be getting exactly what you need or even want. Do your homework.

Is anyone here that lives close enough to us willing to help? Unfortunately as with everything we do we're going at this alone. My only friends that do ride are HD junkies and would be mortified to hear that I am considering metric bikes. One even went so far to drag us to see an 81 HD shovelhead last night that needs more work than most of the running Ventures the guys on this site have. Not to mention that it was a chaindrive and those scare me. I know personally I want a reliable shaft driven bike that just needs normal routine maintenance from the start. If I sound like I talk for the hubby here, he agrees with me. He wants a bike he can take from school and work as well as something that would be comfy on a roadtrip that's multistate to suit my needs. He has the idea however that I shouldn't be stuck on the back of the bike tho, that I need to have the ability to go on my own too. That however will remain to be seen because I'll wait til I take my MSC class before I commit to riding more than a passenger.

Also, all the comments today have been great. As a side note while we were looking at the bluetooth stuff for the helmets we weren't going to use them until we had miles under us except maybe for the benefit of me having music on long trips as a passenger. I understand too well the dangers of riding and not paying attention.

I'm not a fan of rider-to-passenger intercoms, but if used sparingly I'm not against them either

Good advice. I would go with CB's. If the bike does not have one J&B sell a decent one for motorcycles. If used correctly can be a safety device.

Welcome

Brad

Guest scarylarry

I think music and intercoms are fine later on, but avoid the use of bluetooth-to-cellphone hookups while you two are in the learning mode. You do NOT need that distraction right now. I'm not a fan of rider-to-passenger intercoms, but if used sparingly I'm not against them either...and I'm well aware that many couples do use them and enjoy the conversation.

In the early stages of the learning experience, you wont be needing good expensive rainsuits, ( cheap ones will suffice if you really WANT them) because you will be mainly taking local rides, and should be avoiding riding on rain-slick roads during the first month or two of riding. Riding on wet roads requires a rider to maintain smooth-steady control inputs, as well as be comfortable with braking and paying close attention to the surface your riding on. These skills wont be fully developed until you have a few thousand miles of riding.

Welcome to the WWM. ( Wonderful World of Motorcycling) !!!

I would read this a few times and then some...He put as clear as one can and cover all the bases...

One thing I would do different is take the MSC before I throw any money down on a bike....2 people did it here and could not pass the course and yes they did go to the DOT and get the license...No I would not ride them or around them....They sold the bikes in the end..

Yes, pillows are lovely, I have 4 down pillows on my bed right now. however I don't think they'd protect me if I slid on the pavement.....just sayin.

And yes before I operate a bike on my own the MSC class is a must. Hubby has his learner's, but no bike. We agreed to take the class as soon as we can afford it next month. I have no concerns that he won't pass the class, he's a decent driver and puts safety above other things. I'm more concerned with my ablity in handling a bike and getting the shifting down during class. that worries me more than the other things because the other things are logical common sense things that improve with practice.

Yes, pillows are lovely, I have 4 down pillows on my bed right now. however I don't think they'd protect me if I slid on the pavement.....just sayin.

And yes before I operate a bike on my own the MSC class is a must. Hubby has his learner's, but no bike. We agreed to take the class as soon as we can afford it next month. I have no concerns that he won't pass the class, he's a decent driver and puts safety above other things. I'm more concerned with my ablity in handling a bike and getting the shifting down during class. that worries me more than the other things because the other things are logical common sense things that improve with practice.

Learning to ride the bike is the easy part. It is the heightened awareness required to be safe on two wheels that is the hard part. I taught my wife the controls on an ATV back when I use to ride quads and dirtbikes. From there she had no problem with passing the safety course, but after she learned what they had to say she decided against her own bike and didn't get her endorsement. She feels safer riding with me than being in traffic herself. Although lately she has considered taking the course again as she likes the new Can-Am Sypders, and they require a motorcycle endorsement down here for them.

With all due respect and I am not trying to be sarcastic here..

(1) If your man is NOT an experienced rider, I strongly suggest you let him ride the bike by himself for at least three weeks to get use to it with out you on it...

(2) Make him take a basic riders course...it's for his benefit as well as yours and helps with your insurance costs...

(3) ALWAYS make sure your cell phone is fully charged and it is with you when you do ride..

(4) I also suggest you pack a first aid kit...just in case you or someone else needs it.

(5) I would also pack one to two bottles of water in case you need to flush a wound..

(6) A good learning bike is anywhere from a 450cc to a 750cc. I would not get anything bigger until experience is well underway..

I wish you and him a very safe ride every day, every time...

Hope to ride with you both some day soon.:biker:

Eck

Guest tx2sturgis
.... lately she has considered taking the course again as she likes the new Can-Am Sypders, and they require a motorcycle endorsement down here for them.

I have ridden BOTH the Spyder RS, and the Spyder RT. I suggest that YOU should test ride one before you buy one for the wife.

I wanted to like them. They look cool and sure get a lot of comments. But the ride is...not all that.

I didnt like either one. They have a weird feel to the steering, meaning you have to constantly make corrections to keep them in the lane. Turns are fine, its the straights that really keep you busy. And since the front wheels and fenders are in the way, there is no where to put your feet forward to stretch the legs. Power is decent, but you DO have to keep the RPMS up around 4000-7000 to get the power you want for passing. And one more thing that I dont like: Those things have 3 or 4 computers controlling the ABS, traction control, steering assist, and engine power, with multiple associated sensors for g-forces, wheel spin, and throttle and steering input. The Spyder is not rideable at full speed if the computers fail, and what are those gonna cost to replace if they fail when the warranty is out?

I'd suggest at least looking at a standard type of trike...but thats just me.

The Spyder is FUN to ride for a 20 mile demo, but living with one day-to-day would not be for me.

On a side note:

I have been aware of several states that require a motorcycle license for a trike, but will not let a person take the road test using a trike! That seems stupid to me. If they require you to have an endorsement to ride one, seems like they should test a riders abilities with one. Again, thats just me.

Good luck.

Edited by tx2sturgis

in response to hubby and me riding 2up... he plans on doing a min of 3 mons alone on bike before maybe less if gets used to it quickly.

Plans on doing the MSC course in abt 3 weeks give or take.

With me....first aid kits are a given I keep one on near me at all times

Cell phones, are always a given. However I will need to get him a phone, he hasn't had one in 2 yrs, hates them lol.

I have ridden BOTH the Spyder RS, and the Spyder RT. I suggest that YOU should test ride one before you buy one for the wife.

I wanted to like them. They look cool and sure get a lot of comments. But the ride is...not all that.

I didnt like either one. They have a weird feel to the steering, meaning you have to constantly make corrections to keep them in the lane. Turns are fine, its the straights that really keep you busy. And since the front wheels and fenders are in the way, there is no where to put your feet forward to stretch the legs. Power is decent, but you DO have to keep the RPMS up around 4000-7000 to get the power you want for passing. And one more thing that I dont like: Those things have 3 or 4 computers controlling the ABS, traction control, steering assist, and engine power, with multiple associated sensors for g-forces, wheel spin, and throttle and steering input. The Spyder is not rideable at full speed if the computers fail, and what are those gonna cost to replace if they fail when the warranty is out?

I'd suggest at least looking at a standard type of trike...but thats just me.

The Spyder is FUN to ride for a 20 mile demo, but living with one day-to-day would not be for me.

On a side note:

I have been aware of several states that require a motorcycle license for a trike, but will not let a person take the road test using a trike! That seems stupid to me. If they require you to have an endorsement to ride one, seems like they should test a riders abilities with one. Again, thats just me.

Good luck.

As far as the computers go, virtually ever car on the market in the last 4 years has those same systems with virtually no issues. My Jeep Wrangler has them.. Although with a Jeep, once you start lifting and putting bigger tires on they do have issues.

As far as leg room, she's 5'1".

A long time ago, in a state far, far away, I got my first motorcycle at age 20. The dealer that sold it to me (a Triumph 650 Tiger) handed me the keys and said something I forgot only once.

"Here's yer keys to the new bike -when you thing you know how to ride it, SELL IT!!"

His point of course is that over confidence will turn around and take $2.50 of hamburger right off your butt. I have ridden the last 43 years with but 1 minor accident, and that was the one time I forgot his advice.

All that being said, I have enjoyed the sport my entire adult life, and wish you and yours safe and happy trails. The madhouse that is this forum will be a valuable source of information, opinions, and bad jokes. This bunch is really extra special.

The information we've gleaned here has been invaluable. Not to mention the dysfunctional family atmosphere helps me laugh away my day's troubles. We're waiting until we take the MSF course before we decide on the learning bike. Either way however hubby will get a Venture. He fell in love with them He wants a comfy bike that I can sit 8-10 hrs on and not be sore from the ride and the Venture fits that.

The information we've gleaned here has been invaluable. Not to mention the dysfunctional family atmosphere helps me laugh away my day's troubles. We're waiting until we take the MSF course before we decide on the learning bike. Either way however hubby will get a Venture. He fell in love with them He wants a comfy bike that I can sit 8-10 hrs on and not be sore from the ride and the Venture fits that.

If you are thinking you might want your own bike eventually, I would recommend he start on a V-star 650, nice light bike but still has some room and potential for comfort. And would be right there for you when he decided to move up.

I personally never felt I needed anything over a 650 when I rode solo. And even two up I never had anything over a 750 until I got the Venture.. Still never felt I needed more power than a 750, just wasn't enough room to be comfortable on any of the modern 750s riding two up. And as the years have gone by, comfort has become more and more important.