IGNORED

Netbooks

Bigfoot

Anyone here using a netbook and have an opinion on them? I'd like to get one for trips on my MC. I'm taking a 2 week trip in Oct and I'd rather not lug around my 17 inch laptop. I won't need a writing program or anything special. Just the ability to surf the net.

We have a 12" asus. I picked the 12" over the 10" because the keyboard is larger. No complaints really. It works good for what it was designed. I also ordered it with the 6 cell battery and it lasts over 7 hours unplugged. The 10" is supposed to last over 8 hours.

Have you thought about an iPad?

I have always talked down Apple but once I saw the iPad in an Apple store, I fell in love with it! I did my 2 month research & cooling off period then bought one.

It does almost everything I want, and is great for trips on the bike. The battery is MUCH better than any laptop I've heard of and going online with new networks is flawless!

The only thing I don't like is no Flash Player support, which sucks for some web sites. at home, I haven't touched my PC in a couple of months.

It's NOT a full computer, but is great for the web, email, games, pics, movies, etc..

Craigr

We have the 10" asus. We've taken it on several trips with us instead of the full size laptop it really saves a lot of room in the trunk. I'm a mainframe computer programmer and have to be able to log onto work 24 x 7 and this allows me to work any where - when I have to.

I'm using the 10" ASUS now. I love it and I got it specifically for the motorcycle when I travel. I use it for email, editing / storing roadtrip pictures. My GPS mapping software to load /edit / change routes. I have the 6 cell battery that will last 7 hours and it does. It does not come with a CD/DVD drive so either copy the CD/DVD to a large flash drive or get an external USB CD/DVD drive. Does everything I need or want it to do on the road. And for $199 if lost or stolen I won't have heart failure.

ps. I'm watching the grandkids tonite and using my daughters wireless

We have a 12" asus. I picked the 12" over the 10" because the keyboard is larger. No complaints really. It works good for what it was designed. I also ordered it with the 6 cell battery and it lasts over 7 hours unplugged. The 10" is supposed to last over 8 hours.

ME TOO...:thumbsup:

I have the 10" and it is a little bit smaller.. It is great on bike trips and just about everywhere else. They going for $239 at best buy right now. You need to by a external DVD/CD RW (to load your major software) and a mouse. It has 3 USB ports and a SD card slot, external monitor port, Rj45 port and a couple of audio jacks. Jumps on the wirless networks of the hotels really well. I am very pleased with it. IT runs good and I got mine with XP...did not want the Vista. I bought mine before Windows 7 was out. I am gonna upgrade it when I get time and think about it. I have Office pro 2007 and use it map out routes on the back road for the Zumo 660.

Battery holds up good...never timed it but not sure it will go 8 hours especially runing wireless radio.

I would purchase it again.

I forgot a couple of other gripes I have about my iPad -

You have to use their iTunes to do any file management and it has no USB ports.

These haven't been a HUGE deal, but still kind of a pain in the back side.

And, the price!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the iPad, but they are waaaay overpriced. I'm guessing the price will come down after the competition comes out with theirs.

craigr

One thing that always worries me about carrying such high dollar toys is the vibration.

I had a cell phone go out on me once and I figured it was from carrying it in the windshield bag on my Venture. I now carry it in my pocket.

So, when we take the iPad with us on the bike, I wrap it in a plush bath towel. - Am I being too cautious?

craigr

I bought 25 Acer 11.6" Netbooks for a sales out promo at work and 5 for my family. 6 cell batteries make the thing run for near 5 hours and upgrade to Windows 7 makes them run better. 250 GB drives and 2GM Ram! The screens are great, High resolution and LED backlit, super bright and the units is super light.

Other then an inability to run HD video full screen without jumping. The integrated webcam works great but does get jumpy at full screen mode.

These units do everything for the casual user. Surf the web, MS Office apps, my daughters even run PaintShop Pro without issue. No internal CD so an external drive is required to load from a disc.

Id go for it. 10" is too small for my liking though :)

I just bought a laptop with 16inch screen and full size keys after deciding that the keys and screen on a netbook and an Android phone were too small for anything except limited text messaging (for me). I haven't carried it on a motorcycle yet. I guess I should do a trial run locally.

ME TOO...:thumbsup:

I have the 10" and it is a little bit smaller.. It is great on bike trips and just about everywhere else. They going for $239 at best buy right now. You need to by a external DVD/CD RW (to load your major software) and a mouse. It has 3 USB ports and a SD card slot, external monitor port, Rj45 port and a couple of audio jacks. Jumps on the wirless networks of the hotels really well. I am very pleased with it. IT runs good and I got mine with XP...did not want the Vista. I bought mine before Windows 7 was out. I am gonna upgrade it when I get time and think about it. I have Office pro 2007 and use it map out routes on the back road for the Zumo 660.

Battery holds up good...never timed it but not sure it will go 8 hours especially runing wireless radio.

I would purchase it again.

I think I bought the same one today. Same price. It came with Windows 7 Starter which is fine with me considering what I need it for.

I just bought a laptop with 16inch screen and full size keys after deciding that the keys and screen on a netbook and an Android phone were too small for anything except limited text messaging (for me). I haven't carried it on a motorcycle yet. I guess I should do a trial run locally.

I have the Lenovo 17 inch laptop with the big battery. It will fit in the Venture trunk w/o the case. Way too big for trips so I went with the netbook.

We won one of the Acer 10" notebooks at the '09 International Rally in Arkansas and I love it. You can pick one up for under $300 and it served as our only computer for about 6 months while we were moving. I would absolutely buy another one and have helped purchase a couple of them for friends of mine.