IGNORED

Reflectors to LEDs (with turn signals)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my case if I just wanted them to glow just light, I would have just wired them direct

pretty simple like you say. I also wanted to make the lit side reflectors to blink as well, it's pretty

cool when there running. make's it so the cagers can see my blinkers on the side and what

I want to do as far as turning. make since? in other words there is nothing that cars see

when there to your left or right . this helps :-) had to use the relays to have them

both blink and be running lights at the same time. it took one relay for each side.

Jeff

If you go to the thread I have linked in a post above there is an explanation on how to build a circuit to make LED light with the running lights and still work as blinkers also. Also in that thread if your not inclined to tackle the soldering task a fellow offered up to sell some he had pre-made. Check out the lights from these folks. Made in USA for me thats a +. Good quality stuff. Mounts available in black or chrome and in single pin (self ground) and double pin 2 wire. If you call you will actually get to talk to a human that speaks regular english.

Rear-lights-not-on-web.jpg

Side-light-on-close-web.jpg

Cougar can you post or pm wiring for relays for flash/ run reflectors....cant get my head around wiring this...is it a different relay type? than a normal 4 post....I dont want to reduce output of led in running mode....custom dynamics has harness $24 that keeps full power to both sides.thanks

Sure, remind me over the weekend and I will see if I can find it

and then shoot a photo for you.

been a while since I did this. and to remember

it all with out the paper :scratchchin: old age I guess :D

I think I have 5 or 6 relays under the hood now :rasberry:

constant flasher use wear out the relay maybe over time :confused07:

What about your car blinkers?

I get my relays for like $2.99 an amazon.

Jeff

300ma...thats limit?...how many ma in these reflectors...they have 15 led ....how to tell what ma is?.....since these led will be wired at point where turn signals connect then down to led would there be a large draw...how do you measure ma draw on a light or led?..also how do you measure RSV amp output.....have 5 relays on already as been paying attention to posts re wiring

300ma...thats limit?...how many ma in these reflectors...they have 15 led ....how to tell what ma is?.....since these led will be wired at point where turn signals connect then down to led would there be a large draw...how do you measure ma draw on a light or led?..also how do you measure RSV amp output.....have 5 relays on already as been paying attention to posts re wiring

Exactly which lights do you have.

You say they have 15 LEDs? A rough rule of thumb is 20mA per LED, BUT this is not always the case. You can either measure the current draw with a multi meter, or some manufacturers actually will tell you the current draw.

Decided to wire up led reflectors today ...since there's 15" of snow here......wired positive to + of running light and- to positive of turn signal......running lights are as bright as if they were wired normally but when turn signal activated..reflector flashes opposite of turn signal..as in wig wag style......any thoughts about will this decrease life of bulbs in turn signals?wiring issues?

Decided to wire up led reflectors today ...since there's 15" of snow here......wired positive to + of running light and- to positive of turn signal......running lights are as bright as if they were wired normally but when turn signal activated..reflector flashes opposite of turn signal..as in wig wag style......any thoughts about will this decrease life of bulbs in turn signals?wiring issues?

The way that you have it wired will not hurt or reduce the life of anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So my side markers on the back and front have been changed out to LEDs for about 2 years. Now I want to chamge them to run and signal combination. I have the resistor kits already wired up but I'd like to catch a signal wire under the pillion seat to make the connections in the rear. Of the bundles feeding the signals to the rear, which one is it and what color is the wire for left and right? Any one know?

WHOA...wait a minute. This is in the bundle leaving the battery box under ducking under the fender right?

Thanks!

Edited by Boomer

Bike Wires

BLUE = Tail running lights

YELLOW = Brake Lights

BROWN = Left turn Signal

GREEN = Right turn Signal

BLACK = Ground Connection

Doing this same type project on LED's on my side top trunk on the trike

out in the garage right now / had the make up a couple sets of Diodes and resistor

units first. almost done.

Good Luck,

Jeff

thanks Cougar. Found the taps but got a strange issue now. When applying signal, the LED does NOT light to full strength. AND this happens no matter which signal I put on and the other side is disconnected! Good grief. Polarity checked at least 10 times. Using a diode pask by ChromeLEDS.

Maybe this will not work right unless I have both sides wired up. Gonna try that next.