IGNORED

Going to the Dogs....

1BigDog

Im hoping someone comes up with health reform for dogs!! Just ordered Heartworm pills for both kids. A 12 month supply for each came in at 256 bucks!!!! Good grief!! :mo money::mo money::mo money::bawling::bawling::bawling:

I know you can purchase health ins. for pets. I wonder if those ploicies cover meds?

Don

:confused07:

I've used this for years, Ivermectin is ivermectin whatever the name brand is on the label.

http://www.petshed.com/products/item6294.asp

We have newfoundlands so it gets pricey :)

Thanks, You just saved me a $100 I just ordered a years supply of heartworm preventative for my 2 dogs.

I used to buy it at the local Farmers Coop, but they won't sell it anymore over the counter.

Im hoping someone comes up with health reform for dogs!! Just ordered Heartworm pills for both kids. A 12 month supply for each came in at 256 bucks!!!! Good grief!! :mo money::mo money::mo money::bawling::bawling::bawling:

This is pretty funny I was thinking the same thing the other day Took my 3 mini daux's in for annual checkup and shots 192.00 bucks out the door but 2 had to come back for teeth cleaning which came out to 532.00 after a few extractions thrown in and meds they have to take for 10 days. for a total of 724 bucks for about 3 hrs work by the vet. My wife cleared 608 bucks working 64 hrs something just isnt right. :doh:

This is pretty funny I was thinking the same thing the other day Took my 3 mini daux's in for annual checkup and shots 192.00 bucks out the door but 2 had to come back for teeth cleaning which came out to 532.00 after a few extractions thrown in and meds they have to take for 10 days. for a total of 724 bucks for about 3 hrs work by the vet. My wife cleared 608 bucks working 64 hrs something just isnt right. :doh:

Yep. Apparently all the vets are now required to take business classes before they can graduate and get their papers.

The vet hospital in town was owned by a lady vet when I moved here 20 years ago. She did excellant work, and saved one of my dogs life twice. I trusted her implicitly. Her prices were very reasonable. She decided to retire 10 years ago and put the business up forsale. It was bought by a young couple of vets just out of school. Over the next year, prices doubled, and have since doubled again on many things.

Got mine from 1800 Petmeds. Iverhart, the generic alternative for Heartgard. Heartgard would have been over 325 bucks. I checked out that Pet Shed link and it concerns me that its in Australia....no offense Annie!! Prices are super though. My vet had concerns about products from overseas since regulations are much less then in the US.

Plus lets add in the 90 bucks X 2 for each dog and that was another 180 bucks for shots and tests. There goes my chrome budget...:smile5:

Got mine from 1800 Petmeds. Iverhart, the generic alternative for Heartgard. Heartgard would have been over 325 bucks. I checked out that Pet Shed link and it concerns me that its in Australia....no offense Annie!! Prices are super though. My vet had concerns about products from overseas since regulations are much less then in the US.

Plus lets add in the 90 bucks X 2 for each dog and that was another 180 bucks for shots and tests. There goes my chrome budget...:smile5:

Many of the generic drugs that I take from sources like Walmart are from non-US manufacturers.

• 3 months later...

Anyone buying the generic heartworm preventative linked here needs to be aware of the following information.

I bought the nuheart brand generic ivermection heartworm meds for my new dog and started gving them to her 3 months ago. My older dog still has a supply of the much more costly Interceptor.

Bad news. My new dog on the nuheart ivermectin generic has come down with round worms, while my older dog on Interceptor is clean.

So what's the difference? It took a bit of research but this is what I think I have found.

The generic Nuheart Ivermectin from Australia contains a very low dose of ivermectin, and is 100% equivalent to the US product HeartGard, and will kill heartworm larvae before they can mature. So, it does what it says it will.

The product Interceptor will not only kill heartworm larvae, but also round worms and hook worms and whip worms.

If one reads up on the product ivermectin, it says it is a broad spectrum parasiticide that kills all of the above, HOWEVER, the dosage of ivermectin to kill the other intestinal worms is 50 times that of the dosage to kill heartworm larvae. The Nuheart ivermectin or HeartGard heartworm medicine will not kill any other parasites in the dosage it is available for dogs. Higher dosage ivermectin has been known to kill several breeds of dogs, so is not generally prescribed for dogs except under very controlled circumstances.

The maker of HeartGard ivermection sells a 2nd product called HeartGard Plus which contains the same LOW dosage of ivermectin Plus a dose of the dewormer Pyrantel Pamoate.

A trip to Walmart to see what dog wormers they sell yields Hartz brand dewormer tablets which contain Pyrantel Pamoate ($6.34 for 2 tablets, each for 50# of dog).

The Interceptor product contains a different medication (milbemycin oxime) which controls multiple parasites.

Thinking I may need to take dewormer, since the new puppy has been in the house, and on my bed, I visit the drugstore section of Walmart and and ask about human worm medication. They handed me a product named Pin-X which contains: Pyrantel Pamoate, the same stuff as in the Hartz dog wormer tablets and the HeartGardPlus for dogs...

An internet search verifies that Pyrantel Pamoate is used in both humans and canines to eliminate or control internal parasites. (not including tape worms).

The human version of Pyrantel Pamoate, ie: Pin-X liquid ($18), contains 60ml of medicine in a concentration of 50mg/ml of Pyrantel. One 50# Hartz tablet contains 113.5mg of Pyrantel. One 50#dog HeartGard Plus tablet contains 114mg of Pyrantel. So, a dog can be given 1 ml of Pin-X for every 22lbs of body weight. The human version says its safe for children over 2 years of age and over 25lbs weight.

Bottom line. If you use a ivermectin (only) heartworm preventative (generic or brand name), it will not prevent intestinal worms in your pets like some other products do.

Edited by RandyR

I just picked up a 1 year supply of HeartGuard Plus for a 100lb dog for $80 direct from my vet. Along with another $45 of other shots and vaccines.

It seams that my vet is most interested in the health of my dog and having lots of patients than to have just a few patients with big bills.

Interesting guys but here's another one for you. Liquid Ivermectin which is used for worming cattle can be bought for around $35-45 for a 50 ml bottle. 10ml is the most common dosage for a 1000 lb cow. That figures out at 1ml per 100 lbs. You can buy 1ml insulin syringes at your local pharmacy and break that down to whatever your dog needs depending on his size. A friend of mine who was a professional breeder took care of her dogs this way. Just squirt it in their mouths or add it to their food once a month. NOTE: Use ONLY the regular liquid Ivermectin, not the Ivermectin Plus which has other meds added to it and can only be used for cattle.

Liquid pyrantel pamoate[sp?], aka Liquid Strongid, can be bought at the vet's for around $45 a QUART generic version, higher for the name brand stuff. 30 ml or 1 oz takes care of 500lbs. This has also been used on dogs in the appropriate dose. I use it to worm my horses as all I have to do is mix it in their feed and they never know the difference. Keeps some of my more antsy mares from getting head shy from my trying to stick a tube of the paste form in their mouths. Also the liquid dose ends up costing me about $3 per horse while the equine paste form ["it's for horses!!"] averages around $7!

:mo money:

I've used this for years, Ivermectin is ivermectin whatever the name brand is on the label.

http://www.petshed.com/products/item6294.asp

We have newfoundlands so it gets pricey :)

this is what I used to use for the horses and just reduced the dose for the dogs the vet said it was fine but you may want to check with yours you just dial it to the dose you need for the weight of the animal

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/zimecterin-gold-paste-single-dose/SLT151412/

be cautious here folks. The ivermectin in high enough dosage to be a general parasite control can kill some dogs. The horse dosage is 200mcg/kg body weight. The heartworm preventative dosage for dogs is only 6mcg/kg body weight which is supposed to be safe for all dogs.