IGNORED

What the! OH CRAP!

a1bummer

Some bozo who couldn't look out for traffic as he backed out of his parking space hit my bike and knocked me over this afternoon.:starz: He cracked my trunk, scraped up my muffler and saddle bag guard, gouged my trunk and saddlebag real bad, busted the lower part of my fairing, and took some paint off the upper part of my fairing. All on the left side. I just got out of class with the guy not 10 minutes before it happened. Banged up his girlfriends car real bad too. Luckily nobody got hurt. Though I won't want to be him when his old lady finds out.:rotf:Anybody had any experience with the insurance companies with these bikes? It's an 84VR. Where do I find out what the fair value on it? My guess is that the insurance is gonna call it a total and I won't get anything near what its gonna cost for parts and a paint job. Anybody have any advice?:puzzled:

First, don't get too excited, think clearly.

1 He damaged you , so his insurance has the obligation to restore you back to where you were before the accident happened.

2 Give the adjuster a chance to look at the damage.

3 Be polite, these guys are pros and know how and where to get things done.

4 If they want to total the bike you have the right to match the salvage bid and keep your ride.

5 Be prepared to document to mechanical condition of your bike and to prove the value of the options you have on it.

Think clearly and don't get mad. Are you sure they have insurance and did you get a police report?

:080402gudl_prv:

With him being the one that hit you I'd make sure they know they are gonna fix it. Here if you get hit the person who hit you their insurance has to fix your vehicle or bike, so says our insurance company.

You could always give them the website for value, and info.

Margaret

IMHO, insurance companies are gonna try and get away with as little expense as possible towards a claim coz they will never make any money otherwise. It's always all about the "bottom line". Having said that, they will make a ridiculously low offer if they decide to write it off which most likely they will because the cost of the repairs will probably be more than their determined write off value. DON'T ACCEPT IT! Do everything you can to get them to either fix it or pay more for writing it off. I'd also go see a doctor coz you must have gotten some kinda hurt and get a lawyer who will work for you without a retainer. SUE the crap outta the other guy's insurance co.

Talked to both insurance companies. If I go through my company, my deductible is gonna be $1000 plus the salvage value of the bike so I can keep it. I'm waiting for a call from their company so we can set up an appointment for his adjuster to come take a look at it. I haven't been able to find any shop to give me an estimate on my bike.:mad: Either I get, "It's to old":backinmyday:, or, "we don't work on that brand":buttkick:. The local Yamaha stealer give me the "those parts have been discontinued" routine. Then I go and find them myself. What's up with that? Does that mean that their supplier doesn't stock them anymore and they don't bother looking elsewhere? Or does that mean that they truly have been discontinued, and the places I find them just has some still in stock till they run out? Either way I'm gonna take the money and keep my bike. Then go see this guy who has another 1st. Gen. that is 1 year older, but the same colors with a lot of extras, with a bad clutch and no second gear. Then do some swapping.

Try a local custom bike shop. They will work on anything. Kool Rides in Owasso helps me out when there's something I can't/won't do.

Don't know what you'll do to estimate plastics; not available except for a few pieces. Repaired plastic estimates?

Bill, you can call me if you like and I will try to help you get a fair settlement from insurance co. towards the repair of your bike. You may have to get pretty resourceful in getting it fixed. Be patient your bike will be whole again. My ph# is in my profile or you can PM me.

Thanks for the information thus for. Still waiting for a call back from his insurance company. Go figure. I gave them another call when I got home from school today and got their voice-mail yet again. Go figure, again. I'll continue to leave updates.

Thanks, Bill

Insurance adjuster is supposed to finally show up in the morning to take a look at the damage. Gonna match the salvage price and keep her. What do ya suppose salvage value might be? They also offered me $750 for the big bruise and bump on my leg as a settlement. I have no idea if that's even a fair deal or not. Any advice?

Insurance adjuster is supposed to finally show up in the morning to take a look at the damage. Gonna match the salvage price and keep her. What do ya suppose salvage value might be? They also offered me $750 for the big bruise and bump on my leg as a settlement. I have no idea if that's even a fair deal or not. Any advice?

I'd think $750,000 would be more appropriate. So, hit 'em with that and possibly they'll settle a wee bit higher...

Anyone here been in the car sales game? One thing a salesman should never do is put themselves downstream coz it's harder to swim against the current than with it. So, come back at them with a much higher request and see what happens...don't be afraid to not accept their first offer...or even their second.

:rotf:Nope, I didn't take it. I said I would think about it. They said that was the offer if I didn't go to the doctor. I wonder what would happen if I DID go to the doctor about it. It's been just over a week now and it's still pretty black and blue. Still has a lump and is still tender to the touch. Not as tender as a couple days ago but it still smarts. Putting on my socks and boots in the morning makes it hurt for a while.:crying: