Would be interesting to know the date on the tire.

I would be going for a warranty on that for sure, although it's not the first time I've seen cracks in the Avons. I have a brand new set in my shop, ready to go on when my Dunlops wear out. I was planning and even more so now, to keep a very close eye on their condition when they do go on.

Hey Boo,

I have to admit that I did a double take when I read your post, but after looking at Dan's pics a few more times, What I thought were impact marks on the tire around the area of the crack, now look like finger prints from the paws of the owner. (by the way, have you seen the paws on this guy!) I too just mounted an Avon on the front and with less than 1000 miles I am seeing sidewall checking (minute semetrical cracks) on both sides of this brand new tire. I have a spear front rim and just had a new Dunlop E3 mounted and ballanced. When my back permits, I will install the E3 and that will be the end of the Avon's for me. I also have another VR in the shop with a front tire that looks like Dan's except it has smaller cracks in ALL of the grooves. I am pretty much done with the Avon's on the First Gens. until this "cracking issue" has been taken care of. I have attached a few pics.

Comments are appreaciated.:confused24:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
FORGOT PICS!

I believe the date code is 3108 (England), installed a couple of days before we left for Arkansas last year. Sending pics to the local dealer who got it and installed it for me.

Edited by Dano

Hey Boo,

I have to admit that I did a double take when I read your post, but after looking at Dan's pics a few more times, What I thought were impact marks on the tire around the area of the crack, now look like finger prints from the paws of the owner. (by the way, have you seen the paws on this guy!) I too just mounted an Avon on the front and with less than 1000 miles I am seeing sidewall checking (minute semetrical cracks) on both sides of this brand new tire. I have a spear front rim and just had a new Dunlop E3 mounted and ballanced. When my back permits, I will install the E3 and that will be the end of the Avon's for me. I also have another VR in the shop with a front tire that looks like Dan's except it has smaller cracks in ALL of the grooves. I am pretty much done with the Avon's on the First Gens. until this "cracking issue" has been taken care of. I have attached a few pics.

Earl

Earl, your pics look like a lot of stress from utilizing that VMax rear end you got in there!!! Maybe a FEW TOO MANY BURNOUTS? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!

As to the possibilities of running over something I agree, but it doesn't explain the appearance of the crack. Doesn't really look to me like a cut, you would have thought that it would be involving the contact tread portion, not just down in the groove.

As to the possibilities of running over something I agree, but it doesn't explain the appearance of the crack. Doesn't really look to me like a cut, you would have thought that it would be involving the contact tread portion, not just down in the groove.

I had a piece of shale do that to a 1200x16.5 10ply Armstrong Rhino tire on my old GMC 4x4 once. If a rock can get through that I don't give an Avon much of a chance. Like already posted that can happen to any MC tire. Take a look at an off road MC tire after a season sometime. It looks like someone has taken an axe to it.....

In Earl's case, that's the first time I've seen cracking in the tread area. I looks more like old age, or over inflation, and those side cracks aren't anything to get excited about. I've seen much worse. I'm running a Venom on the '83 with wider cracks. Hasn't gotten any worse after the initial appearance.

One thing we all need to take into consideration is no one has experienced catastrophic failure with an Avon Venom.... The cracks are disconcerning so I've gone to E3's on the '99, but still have a set of Venoms sitting in the garage waiting to go on the '91, and I won't have a problem using them...

Hey Dan,

Both of the pics I posted are of front tires! I admit that the old 87'VR has a bit of power, But it would be a stretch to think that a rear wheel burnout would cause the front tire to heat crack.

I wonder what dingy is running on his VRMAX?!?!We'll have to wait till he get's off of work to find out!:confused24:

Earl

Earl, your cracks look normal to me. I'd bet if everyone went outside right now and took a pic of their used tire, it would be pretty close.

I took my Avons off, because they had deep cracks in the sidewall, close to the rim.

Only E3's for me from now on.

I have to put my .02 on something cutting it. That's a good size gap all by itself. Every cracked tire I've seen was more like Earl's - the cracks stay small until there are a lot of them.

Edited by MiCarl
Can't spell before supper......

Hey Boo,

Earl

Well I saw the "paw" marks also but that's not what my bases for the comment were.

It just looked like something real pointed tried to penetrate the tire. (to me).

But your tire on the other hand are really nasty, I have some tires on my BSA that are probably 5 to 6 years old and I'm not sure they look that bad.:big-grin-emoticon:

I won't run the Avon tires because when I was young (moons ago) the group I hung around with thought theAvon'ss were junk so I guess that got embeddedd in my mind so it's only Dunlops for me.

Another little comment here, those age cracks don't bother me to much I usually will run a tire for quite a while without concern. But that's me.

BOO