IGNORED

Looking for Venture Mechanic

SC89Venture

Regarding my other post related to fuse block, I have an 89 Venture that needs the attention of a professional. A lot of things have been hacked up, and I have decided to see if there is a mechanic that would be interested in repairing my bike. These are the things I need done that I can tell so far.

New tires front and rear

Brakes front and rear

Replace all fluids on bike

Repair fuse panel and get turn signals working

Grease splines on drive shaft

Inspect and repair any other items to make bike safe and reliable

Some maybe wondering why not just dump it and get another bike. The thought has crossed my mind, and it may come to that. But the plastics are in real good shape and the bike looks amazing. Linda and I both fit comfortable on this bike, and it just pops for the cool factor, you dont see a lot of these on the road.

I would prefer someone that is in a 250 mile radius of Greenville/Spartanburg, SC (upper northwest corner of SC).

I have about $1800-$2000 total to spend on this, but that is not concrete either. I want the person or shop that does this to do it right, and charge a fair hourly rate.

Let me know what you all think, and I appreciate all responses.

You can contact me at my email sc750virago@charter.net

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don

I wish I could help you.It is too bad you do not tinker with the bike.Most if not all of the fixes are in this forum.If the bike runs well, all you need is abit of money and time.I am sure someone will jump in here and help you.You have a great bike and it needs to have a rider. Ray:bluesbrother:

Don't give up yet there are many members close by that have the experience and expertise to help you with these repairs. I'm in Atlanta and will be glad to help you as we can get together. Your not that far away.

Muffinman is a great resource if he's up for it.

My advice is trust the experience on this site and do not trust the shops and dealerships. We know these bikes they don't.

Regarding my other post related to fuse block, I have an 89 Venture that needs the attention of a professional. A lot of things have been hacked up, and I have decided to see if there is a mechanic that would be interested in repairing my bike. These are the things I need done that I can tell so far.

New tires front and rear

Brakes front and rear

Some maybe wondering why not just dump it and get another bike. The thought has crossed my mind, and it may come to that. But the plastics are in real good shape and the bike looks amazing. Linda and I both fit comfortable on this bike, and it just pops for the cool factor, you dont see a lot of these on the road.

I would prefer someone that is in a 250 mile radius of Greenville/Spartanburg, SC (upper northwest corner of SC).

I have about $1800-$2000 total to spend on this, but that is not concrete either. I want the person or shop that does this to do it right, and charge a fair hourly rate.

Let me know what you all think, and I appreciate all responses.

You can contact me at my email sc750virago@charter.net

Thanks,

Don

Put the money toward a BBQ with beer meet & eat and I'm sure you'll get takers ready to come up and put that bike right for you.

Hi,

I'm Steve and my 83 was in about the same condition as yours. Now lets look at your list ...

New tires front and rear

This is easy, just takes $ for tires. I have the changer and live in Kingsport TN.

A day of fellowship and tire changing will cure that. Best case pull the wheels and bring the tires. Worse case if you have some way to get the bike over here bring it on

Brakes front and rear

Time and someone to "hold your hand". Parts may be needed but not to much $ unless disc are shot.

Once you get the brakes under control your home free on this one, again a little hand holding goes a long way

This one might be the "biggy" hard to tell until you start. Skydoc upgrade for sure and we can use mine as a guide to help sort it out. (and upgrade mine at the same time)

So simple that even I can do this one - thanks to RandyA "holding my hand" on mine. When the rear tire is off just a few more steps

Take care of the above and I just bet this one is done

.... plastics are in real good shape and the bike looks amazing. Linda and I both fit comfortable on this bike, ....

So learn to do all this "stuff" and really know your bike. Bring Linda with you - we are a family you know!

I am located in your mileage range

I have about $1800-$2000 total to spend on this, ....

With that budget we can have a meet, eat, repair party in my driveway. If one or two others want to jump in and make a day of it I'm open. I have tools, shop, and plenty of place to camp. even have room for some in the house.

Come on Ventureriders lets make a new guy happy!

We can set this up and still get a good ride in.

Steve Neal

:fatsmiley:

Hi,

I'm Steve and my 83 was in about the same condition as yours. Now lets look at your list ...

New tires front and rear

This is easy, just takes $ for tires. I have the changer and live in Kingsport TN.

A day of fellowship and tire changing will cure that. Best case pull the wheels and bring the tires. Worse case if you have some way to get the bike over here bring it on

Brakes front and rear

Time and someone to "hold your hand". Parts may be needed but not to much $ unless disc are shot. Shop advice is one thing holding hands is another. I don't know how willing I am for hand holding.:whistling:

Once you get the brakes under control your home free on this one, again a little hand holding goes a long way.

This one might be the "biggy" hard to tell until you start. Skydoc upgrade for sure and we can use mine as a guide to help sort it out. (and upgrade mine at the same time)Not too hard bulbs, relays or I bet a dime to a donut it's the flasher switch all the signal lighting runs thru that switch. I got a couple of them laying around.

So simple that even I can do this one - thanks to RandyA "holding my hand" on mine. When the rear tire is off just a few more steps No brainer might as well change rear gear lube while your at it.

Take care of the above and I just bet this one is done

.... plastics are in real good shape and the bike looks amazing. Linda and I both fit comfortable on this bike, ....

So learn to do all this "stuff" and really know your bike. Bring Linda with you - we are a family you know! or pay the stealerships stupid crazy money at shop rates to screw it up for you. There is no substitute for going to a meet and eat Venture College with the experts.

I am located in your mileage range

I have about $1800-$2000 total to spend on this, ....

With that budget we can have a meet, eat, repair party in my driveway. If one or two others want to jump in and make a day of it I'm open. I have tools, shop, and plenty of place to camp. even have room for some in the house.

Come on Ventureriders lets make a new guy happy!

We can set this up and still get a good ride in.

Steve Neal

:fatsmiley:

Sounds right to me I've done a couple of rebuilds and if we got a couple of folks attacking the different aspects it could be done over a weekend if parts available. Pre planning would be a big help. Like what does the brake fluid and internal surfaces of brake system look like? Any corrosion? Are calipers, resevoirs and lines in good shape need a flush or a rebuild/replace.

For the budget :mo money:we could all stay in the local motel and still get the project done? :thumbsup2: Or we could camp. Done that before.

That is why I love this site...and the folks here!

Now all I gotta do is find someone closer to Kingston and I'd be all set!

Bike's been down for 2 weeks and I'm suffering from withdrawal!!!!

:fiddle:

Same goes for you Trader,,,, let us know what you need, and we'll work it out!

Don, about everything you have noted can be done around here. Steve (SGN) is a great guy and he is sincere in his offer. If you could get the stuff together and set a date, we could have a maintence day for anyone that wants to help on your bike or work on their own. It don't take much to make us happy.

But, I am a lot more interested in helping you work on your bike than doing it for you. It is kind of like the teaching the man to fish thing.

RandyA

Don. Sending you a PM on this. My mechanic is a retired Yamaha engineer, and is 100% certified as a mechanic on the Venture. He is in business for himself now, and does outstanding work. Maybe the most meticulous mechanic I've ever met. He is a total professional, has a full blown repair set up at his home in Canton GA (about 130 miles from you), and is extremely reasonable on his pricing. I dare say about 1/2 to 1/3 of what a dealer would charge.

I bought my '99 Venture from him, and he was the original owner. I would trust it to no one else for anything.

Bobby

Don. Sending you a PM on this. My mechanic is a retired Yamaha engineer, and is 100% certified as a mechanic on the Venture. He is in business for himself now, and does outstanding work. Maybe the most meticulous mechanic I've ever met. He is a total professional, has a full blown repair set up at his home in Canton GA (about 130 miles from you), and is extremely reasonable on his pricing. I dare say about 1/2 to 1/3 of what a dealer would charge.

I bought my '99 Venture from him, and he was the original owner. I would trust it to no one else for anything.

Bobby

I should have also mentioned that the offers you got for assistance from these other guys are outstanding, and speak to the kind of first class folks we have here on this board. I just threw my guy out to you as another alternative for you. Either way, I'm sure you'll be up and riding soon - - on time and under budget!

Bobby

Aas you can see there are a lot of people on this site thatr would be willing to assist you. do you have a drive way big enough to have a Maintenance Day. Do you have a couch or bed to allow someone to "stay over" and help. there are a lot of members who know how to repair everyting you listed and will do it for "food/beer and company". Jut invite them Set a date saying you are providing food and drink and you'll be suprised at how many show up. If you have it in early October I may even show up from Texas as I am headed to the Dragont he first week of OCT. I am certain that if you have the MD everyone will show up with the appropiate tools/lifts etc to accomplish all your needs. How about you post close up pics of the brakes/calipers/rotors and the other items you need assistnce with as well as several of the bike. This will give everyone an idea what they are looking at. Once you have the MD you will know how to effect these repairs yourself as everyone will help show you how its done. Order the new pads, oil filter,air filter, tires etc if you need them. Have them onsite ready to go. If you need help finding something just post it here and someone will assist you in finding what you need.

I have been a member for 2 years and a number of people have helped me with my bike and continue to assist me and I certainly appreciate it. Now when I ahve a problem I can usually figure it out or at least get a good start on the repair or replacement. Although I have been helped several times by

GUNBOAT

PONCH..almost too many times since I seen to run into issues once I start

SQUIDLEY

KREG

Owen

Freebird annd numerous others here who have answered questions, offered ideas, listed examples and technical items as well as those who sold me parts for my ride

thanks to all these wonderful people on this site I ahve been able to

change my oil

change my diff fluid

flush my radiator

replace the freeze plugs

change front brakes

change back brakes

change both tires

grease my splines

change windshield

change grips

change seats to the pilow top

add bag rails

add rear trunk lights

add hitch

add hitch rack

fix several light issues

swap out to 4-2-4 nasty boy pipes...man they sound good too

I know I'm probably missing something

I have been to several MD and have held a MD and will have others at my house.

ITS A BLAST

Without the knowledge and assistance of the members of this forum I would not have been able get all this done now would I have enjoyed my ride nearly as much.

So set up a MD and learn how to effect these repairs so that you can enjoy your ride.

To all those that have helped me in the past and continue to offer thier help and support

I applaud you and send a heartfealt THANK YOU AGAIN for all your assistance and friendship and for sharing your time and knowledge.

:sign outstanding: