IGNORED

My Windshield is fine now!!

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

Sorry KiteSquid: You need to write Yamaha and tell them.....look, that clutch whine cost me a windshield!! I could not stand it any longer.......that skyscraper windshield had to go......I cut it down last night, I am just at six foot......ended up taking a full 4.5 inches off it. I certainly was not going to wait on Clearview, call them.....and wait another two months....it had to go!! All I have to do is finish the edges nicely......going to wait a day or so...make sure this is exactly where I want it. I cut mine off on the bike.....taped the whole shield.........lined it off.....cut it........laid towels all over the bike...blew the rest of the sawdust off with the air compressor.

The result: I love it so far......have not put it on the interstate yet..but up to 65/70 close to my house.......just a steady airflow....no more buffeting. And I can see the doggies through the morning fog now!!

Kit

Guest KitCarson
Kit, we need pictures. let us know how it works out. I have anew clearview on order. May want to shorten it. I don't like face shields. So, I like the tall shield.
Here you go.....hope it works.....you have to remember I am no computer genius, think I did this right. Yes I had one ordered also....then decided to get rid of Cricket.....then not.....then decided the clear view is still too high.......so I taped it off.....cut it off.....sanded the edges tonight......left it one inch above eye level in the very center.....tapered the edges to each side to all you have to do is move your line of sight off center to see in fog or rain. Kit

Guest KitCarson
I just wish they made a windshield stretcher...

Kit,

I'm just glad you are riding your RSV!!!

I am glad I am riding it too....kinda getting attached to the people it brings me in contact with. Hey when I was an apprentice they sent me all the way to the shop to get a pipe stretcher. I actually looked and looked.....finally asked.....yea big joke!!

When I got back to the job.....more laughter......I actually fell for that one!!

The master on the job told me that section of pipe was too short.....go get the pipe stretcher!! Kit:sign20:

Guest KitCarson
I was an industrial electrician for 20 years. We used to send the new helpers after pipe stretchers, sky hooks and long stands. :)
Yes it is fun to play a trick sometimes, as long as it is harmless. Kit

I have seen people searching for the following on Navy ships:

Sound Powered Phone Battreies

50 feet of Shore line

100 feet of Water line

A Bucket of steam

H.T. Punch

B.T. Punch

Put people on Mail Bouy Watch!!!!

Once I caught a "Sea Bat" under a trash can on the flight deck of a FFG, and "Showed" it to several shipmates.... With shipmates like me.....

Once we sent a guy up to "lower the mast" before we went under a bridge on the way to a port call..... On the mast was a 5MC (Directional speaker to "talk" to boats) and it had a large handwheel.... the guy was spinning the handwheel MADLY to lower the mast...... HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

2 speed whitewalls

I used to work in a fishing camp when I was in my teens and in my greens... they sent me to the "stores" to get a long wait for one of the guides. The stores keeper said "wait here...I'll go get it"... so I waited and waited and waited....

Man did I get heckled over that one!

:sign20:

Guest KitCarson
Kit, Did you use a jig saw and a fine tooth blade saw to cut your shield? Just wondering. Nice job! , Berky:fireman:
Actually I used a high quality Makita jigsaw that has a high speed saw rate. But as for the blade I used more of a course blade. Something like 10 to 12 teeth per inch. If you use too fine a blade plastic products such as this lexan

windshield tend to melt and not cut nicely. I just taped the whole windshield off on both sides......as a safety precaution, as if you get a scratch...it is going to be there for life..lined it off with a sharpie pen and cut it, actually did it twice.....was not low enough the first time........then used a file to even it out a bit......then 180 sandpaper to rough sand it......220 to bring it in a little more.........then 400 wet/dry.....used wet to polish the edge. It is not hard to do...mainly take your time....I did mine on the bike......think it protects the windshield from scratches better that way. Kit

Guest KitCarson
2 speed whitewalls

I used to work in a fishing camp when I was in my teens and in my greens... they sent me to the "stores" to get a long wait for one of the guides. The stores keeper said "wait here...I'll go get it"... so I waited and waited and waited....

Man did I get heckled over that one!

:sign20:

I got another one.....this one was so funny, I still remember it fondly!! We were installing the plumbing in a high rise. It has sectional plumbing walls already manufactured and we would lift them with a crane and hook them together at each floor level. We had like 8 stories done . The inspectors make us fill the pipes up with water every six sections for a test to make sure they are tight. These were 8 inch sewer mains. I was still a newbie........we were all at lunch sitting on the tailgates of the trucks and telling tales when one of the guys handed me a roll of teflon tape and said......hey Kit.....see the plug over there , that clean out plug.....it is leaking.......how about you go put some of this tape on the plug and stop the leak!! Ever take a threaded 8 inch plug out of a cleanout with six stories of head pressure in an 8 inch main behind it.....:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotfl::rotfl:I am just glad it was a warm day!!! Kit

I worked for a short time as an installer at a transmission shop. We had an apprentice at the shop look into removing the disinfitinsimulator from the inside of a Ford C-6 tranny. When he came back and said he couldnt find it, I told him to remove the Finnegan pin underneath and it will come out. He finally went to one of the managers there to ask about the part........all we heard was laughter coming from the office.

Guest KitCarson
Shouldn't the corners be more rounded (a smoother transition?). By the way the yellow thing in the first photo is that a "Kilimanjaro " jacket? I've been trying to find someone who has one to ask how they like it..
Maybe.......I dunno......lol! I did the windshield by cut a little ride a little.....I think it would be different for everyone. This works for me.......I kept the center to the original curve.but one inch above my eyes....but quickly tapered to the edges. so all I have to do is shift my sight line only slightly to one side or the other and I can see fine over the shield....and still have that little safety margin for those big june bugs!! I do not pay much attention to tradition........never read instructions....always have parts left over when I fix something...........but left the outside edges as high as I could......I want the wind block......just want to see over the thing.

The jacket is a tourmaster jacket. It is quite similar to the one you mentioned the Kilimanjaro......it is waterproof........has a quilted liner for use in winter......good zippers......and it is highly visible. The only thing I do not like about it is the full flow through ventilation zippers. It has a bunch of them......on the shoulders.......under the arms.....in the chest....both sleeves........thing is they put velcro fasteners along each opening also........duh!!! The close shut as fast as you pry them open!! It is now winter time.....time to close the flow throughs......but come next summer......I need to take it somewhere and have all the velcro stuff taken off. It is a good jacket.......I have like about six of them.....different brands.......I like this one and one of the Joe Rockets the best. Kit

Guest KitCarson
Kit, put a little masking tape over the velcro tabs you want to remain open. Works like a charm and if colored correctly won't look bad.
Hey thanks......neat idea......I will do that.....see I am never too old to learn something. Kit:thumbsup: