IGNORED

Soon-to-be-Venture owner needs some help

Goat Roper

Hello all,

Searching for a Midnight Venture and found what appears to be a nice example. My only issue is I know little of what particular examples are worth.

Here is the find; http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2003-Yamaha-Royal-Star-Midnight-Venture-97217933

Price seems a bit strong for the miles. Can anyone please give me some insight into this market?

Thanks!

I agree with the previous posts. you get a backrest that matches the seats, saddle bag bars, luggage rack and passing lamps. price is Ok, but I would start at 7000 instead of 7500. You can always go up in an offer, but you can never go down. the mileage is less than 6 thousand a year. see how much tread is left on the tires and the tire's overall condition. If you get a bike that is ready to roll with only regular maintenance ahead of you, you are moochoh dollars ahead which makes the sales price attractive.

Now you need to see this bike in person, as stated. look for scratches and dings. then take it for a ride. do a search here for what to look for when inspecting a bike in person. look at the oil sight glass to see what color the oil is. same for brake and clutch fluid reservoirs on the handle bars.

does it shift hard or smooth once warned up. how easy does it start or not. what sounds does it make when you turn the key to on? are the speakers blown?

Do your homework before buying..........

1. Check blue book value of bike

2. Remember, dealers only give no more than 50% value for add ons, such as the seat, lights, anything else that was added to the bike but try to get full retail.

3. Try to get a 30 day warranty with....just in case.

The bike looks good in the pics, but as earlier said in another post, you need to see the bike and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Question everything.

Good luck

Hello all,

Searching for a Midnight Venture and found what appears to be a nice example. My only issue is I know little of what particular examples are worth.

Here is the find; http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2003-Yamaha-Royal-Star-Midnight-Venture-97217933

Price seems a bit strong for the miles. Can anyone please give me some insight into this market?

Thanks!

That is about the going price for the year and miles I bought a 2000 MM Limited Venture with 20,000 miles for $6000

I'm with you - I think the price is high. I bought a 2001 two years ago with 24K for $7,000. Mine had a few minor issues, but the market is a lot softer now than it was then. Mine has the Yamaha/Corbin seat and lots of extras. That seat may be a Corbin, but it's not the one Yamaha sells - the stiching isn't right. Also, mine wasn't a Midnight, which may influence the value. But as soft as the luxury item market is right now, I'd try to get at least $1,000 off, and be willing to walk away from it. There are just too many nice bikes on the market right now to not get a really good deal. And make sure it has good tires. (brand, tread, and check the codes for the age)