IGNORED

Recommended intercom/headset ?

XV1100SE

Looking to get intercom head sets for my 2009 RSV. The one Yamaha brands is about $300 but I've seen some for as little as $65. Quite the range in price.

Any recommendations for/against particular brands/models?

As much as I'd like to get a bluetooth head set that can tie into my Blackberry for cell and music I'd like to be able to use the existing audio system on the bike (radio/cb). I've considered using the Blackberry with a bluetooth/FM transmitter but don't see how that could combine with a head set.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Maybe the 2011 model will include bluetooth instead of a cassette ?

If you are looking for just communications then the cheaper J&M are excellent. If you are looking to listen to music then they are not so good. The higher end J&M are good for that.

You can find the J&M's here http://www.sierra-mc.com/categories.asp?cat=312

A lot of folks really like Edsets.

They can be found here http://www.edsets.com/3g_luxury_touring

Connecting your phone via bluetooth works well if you have a bluetooth enabled GPS and a BuddyRich cable (BuddyRich is a member here).

I got J&M headsets model HS-BCD279-UN from radioworld.ca at the January Supershow in Toronto with no taxes. The headsets are on the website. A lower hookup cord HC-PC is also required. I use a Garmin nuvi 750 GPS which has an integrated mp3 player and FM transmitter.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the J&M HS-BCD279-FF from Radioworld on Tuesday ($285+$30 for the lower cable) and received them on Wed. Great turn around and responsive to emails leading up to the sale.

Had some questions related to installing them in the helmets but J&M was great. Got thru on the first phone call without being put on hold.

Kind of scary pulling apart a recently new Shoei helmet and cutting the interior foam to make room for the ear peices and mic but got it done yesterday (2 hrs). For the second helmet (HJC) the padding is glued to the inner shell which is glued to the outer shell. I ended up just using the velcro from the kit to attach the speakers against the padding.

Would I do it again ? If I didn't already have the new Shoei I would probably get a helmet with the head set built in instead. Some of the cutting for the ear pieces got a little close to the edge of the styrofoam and you want to get the hole size just right because they are a "pressure fit". There is velcro on the back of the speakers but I don't think the back side of the speakers can reach the outer shell which also has a velcro pad from the kit.

I was hoping to find a wireless solution that would make use of the built in radio/cb/intercom. Maybe the 3rd Gen will have bluetooth !

Guest oldroadstar

I got the Edsets. I like them because of the option to output to ear plug speakers rather than helmet speakers. I believe there is also an option to connect to a GPS. They are a high quality product for a reasonable price.

Show Chrome makes a dandy headset which retails where I live for about $89 cdn. They have a pricier model which includes a volume control for about $119 cdn.

I went to our local dealer and tried out the less expensive of the two, and they worked great on my 2004 RSV. All cables included with the set - just plugs right into the bike.

Volume is controlled by the audio panel on the bike.

Cheers!

Talking doesn't require the best speakers but I wanted decent sounding music. I asked the rep at Radioworld for a comparison between a couple models/brands and decided on the J&M's.

Next on the list will be one of BuddyRich's cables so I can tie into (a future) gps. I'd like to better understand what features the cable gives and haven't found details in a search.

Still.... any kind of bluetooth adapter that could connect under the fairing to the lead outs from the built-in intercom that would allow the radio/cb/intercom to function but also allow a gps and cell phone to work wirelessly would be ideal. Obviously for rider and passenger.

We have any electronic techs up for the challenge or know of a way or product to do this?

Well..I have it on my bike and it allows me to use my headset microphone to talk on my phone. My phone connects with the Zumo via Bluetooth and the cable allows me to use my headseat to talk on the phone. That's all I've used it for. Don't know if it has other capabilities or not.

Well,

fancy this, another Venture rider in the Kitchener Waterloo area.

I have been asking the same questions and have some info that I can share with ya.

I have had both

J&M sets for our shortie helmet and EdSets for our full helmet.

As for BlueTooth/etc with a GPS, that too, we have through our Garmin Zumo.

Drop me a PM and we can connect to go over your options. Even show you on my '05 how we set them up. I also have to open up my fairing again to clean up some wiring, and I can show you how to configure.

Wizard is right, you will need to get a BuddyRich cable to configure the Bluetooth, through the GPS.

RIDE SAFE! :biker:

Looking to get intercom head sets for my 2009 RSV. The one Yamaha brands is about $300 but I've seen some for as little as $65. Quite the range in price.

Any recommendations for/against particular brands/models?

As much as I'd like to get a bluetooth head set that can tie into my Blackberry for cell and music I'd like to be able to use the existing audio system on the bike (radio/cb). I've considered using the Blackberry with a bluetooth/FM transmitter but don't see how that could combine with a head set.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Maybe the 2011 model will include bluetooth instead of a cassette ?

Ive got Edsets in Marilyns and Courtney's helmets. I have regular j+m in mine and the boys.

Once mine wear out I will change to edsets. I like the sound better and the service from Ed is second to none. He is honest to a fault and saved me money at the expense of making some more for himself. He replaced a bad mic over a year after I received it for nothing.

He is patient and I sure needed that cause I can be a dummy at times.....never mind Owl!

His system is not the cheapest but I like them and the service alot.