IGNORED

HID Group Buy?????

Flyinfool

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to rain on this parade, but I ordered one of the $50 HID units out of Canada, installed it about a month ago, had it working fine, then noticed that when I start the bike, the unit shuts off. Voltage transients apparently.

We discussed this earlier this year on a different thread, and although there are some 'work-arounds', I feel that if this unit in manufactured for motorcycles, it should include some kind of startup delay, or ignition sensor, to make it fully compatible for a motorcycle.

I can not recommend them at this time. I think with this flaw, its a defective design. Your mileage may vary.

I installed a Sylvania Silver Star Ultra, highly praised by Goose, and it is working well so far.

Just my :2cents:

I have to say I'm with Brian on this one. I know several members, 2 right here in the Houston area, that are having issues with the HID lights they purchased from the Canadian vendor. He's been good with sending replacement parts but you get what you pay for. I know we all like to see things cheap, but your not going to get great quality with a cheap price, just isn't going to happen. I was thinking about putting an HID inj my bikes, but after seeing and hearing of the issues with them, I'll be going with a PIAA or the Silver Star Ultra

:2cents:

I have to say I'm with Brian on this one. I know several members, 2 right here in the Houston area, that are having issues with the HID lights they purchased from the Canadian vendor. He's been good with sending replacement parts but you get what you pay for. I know we all like to see things cheap, but your not going to get great quality with a cheap price, just isn't going to happen. I was thinking about putting an HID inj my bikes, but after seeing and hearing of the issues with them, I'll be going with a PIAA or the Silver Star Ultra

:2cents:

I hear you Brad, but in my case, I have already installed a PIAA bulb and have been disappointed with the result - its not that much better and I still want more light at night. If I read right in the posts, this group buy would be from a US supplier. If so, it would be good to hear if the US supplier's product has a better track record.

I hear you Brad, but in my case, I have already installed a PIAA bulb and have been disappointed with the result - its not that much better and I still want more light at night. If I read right in the posts, this group buy would be from a US supplier. If so, it would be good to hear if the US supplier's product has a better track record.

I may be mistaken, but I believe you are talking about the PIAA H4 replacement bulb. I think Brad is talking about the high-quality PIAA HID setup, which is different.

Mine is one of the Canadian Cruiser Customizing HID sets that died. I'm back to the SilverStar Ultra, which I love and has given me 35,000 miles of service.

When I go to HID next time, I am mounting the PIAA Cross Country self-contained HID driving lamps up near my mirrors. The high location near my line of sight gives improved visibility. They are really pricey, so I haven't done it yet.

Dave

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-Cross-CountryTM-H-I-D-Lamp/dp/B002GZP77I]Amazon.com: PIAA Cross CountryTM H.I.D. Lamp Kit: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NJD-LGdaL.@@AMEPARAM@@41NJD-LGdaL[/ame]

Edited by Dave77459
forgot to subtract the 5000 miles the HID lasted before it died at less than 2 months of service

My driving lights help light-up the sides of the road at night a bit better, and the Silverstar Bulb is brighter than a standard H4 bulb. However, when I switch to high beam the focus is still too (vertically) high, and it still doesn't seem to light-up far-enough down the road to my satisfaction.

Will the HID help make-up for the light which the Venture doesn't seem to throw down the road.

I have brought-up this point before, and a number of other people also expressed that their high-beam is aimed too high, and that there really isn't a way to reasonably adjust the vertical aim. Others, said that the issue might have something to do with the bulb instead of the headlight housing adjustment. The jury still seems to be out though on a solution. But, just maybe an HID will give me what I'm looking for. I hope so!

New info:

Okay, last night I installed a HID kit in my Venture. A local bike shop a good price ($50 units) which had the halogen & Zenon bulb combo. The brand is some sort of Chinese one which I know nothing about, but I thought that I would give it a try. I figured that it couldn't be too much of a gamble. So, I did just a little ride around the neighborhood last night to see what my initial impressions would be. Here's what I found:

1. I did have to give-up my modulator (which I really like). But, I do prefer to have more powerful and awesome white light.

2. When my bright switch is flipped-up, it just lights-up the halogen bulb.

3. When the dim switch is flipped-down, the Zenon light comes on.

3. The new halogen bulb is significantly less bright and appears to be much more yellow than the H4, Sylvania Silverstar bulb which I had prior to this new one.

4. The Zenon bulb is awesomely bright and white. That's the kind of light I wanted in a headlight.

5. Now, in contrast to my new HID light, my passing lights look like old flashlights with dying batteries. That's not going to look right. HIDs needed there now too I suppose.

The plug and play made the install simple. And, fortunately, inside the Venture fairing, we have lots of room. I just used sticky-back Velcro to mount the ballast to the inside wall of the fairing, and then zip-tied the wires in to a secure place.

I still can't figure-out a way to adjust the vertical aim of the headlight beam. The adjustment knob on the left-side, inside of the fairing draws (or releases) the left-side of the headlight housing. The adjustment screw on the right-side, I assume adjusts the pull (or release) of the headlight housing on the right-side of the headlight housing. So, can anyone tell me how I can adjust the tilt-up and down of the headlight on a second-gen?

:lightbulb:

Be Safe!

Pete.

Edited by petekadish
Additional Information

I do hope that whatever the mfgr sells on this buy is of decent quality. Unfortunately I just keep hear and seeing of them failing, and that would suck at the wrong time. I am a fan of them, they really light up the road well, but obviously need to be able to handle the rigors on being on a bike.

When is the Group buy happening? Can I get a link to product line? I might want to look at buying for my truck as well.

The place that I am trying to set up for the group buy is at www.hidcountry.com.

They do have motorcycle specific setups that are different from the car setups.

We are close to having enough interest to start getting more info.

Specifically what I will need for each kit ordered is;

Your shipping info

Your PayPal name so that when the funds come I know who it came from.

Kit type

Bulb size.

Heat color

Any other info pertinent to what you are ordering.

It is best to PM me the info, so that it will be easy to keep track of without loosing anyone.

The place that I am trying to set up for the group buy is at www.hidcountry.com.

Your shipping info

Kit type

Bulb size.

Heat color

It is best to PM me the info, so that it will be easy to keep track of without loosing anyone.

Are these plug and play or a lot of wire splicing?

Are these plug and play or a lot of wire splicing?

On the 2nd gen you have to run a seperate power and ground, but otherwise it is a simple plug and play. Mine came with a connector that plugged into the bike harness and uses this as the switch for a relay so it all works the same. One added benefit is that you are moving the headlight power consumption off of the ignition circuit. Should help with some of the ignition issues we hear about.

Great. However, I am still not sure if you can handle deliveries to Canada and what the s&h charge would be. Can you let us know?

Your shipping info

Kit type

Bulb size.

Heat color

I'm interested in getting 2 HID replacements for my 55w halogen fog lights. Trouble is how long the bulbs are may affect whether they will fit into the housing. Got any dimensions for the bulb? From the pix it looks like all types are the same length and differ only in the type of socket connector.

In any case, I am still interested in getting a Bi-Zenon HID kit for the main headlight.

I'm interested in getting 2 HID replacements for my 55w halogen fog lights. Trouble is how long the bulbs are may affect whether they will fit into the housing. Got any dimensions for the bulb? From the pix it looks like all types are the same length and differ only in the type of socket connector.

In any case, I am still interested in getting a Bi-Zenon HID kit for the main headlight.

These are the same lights as Flyinfool has in his 88. So there shouldn't be any problem for your 90.

As far as I know this is just for the main H4 headlight bulb. Unless your driving lights have H4 bulbs in them, they wont be compatible.

As far as I know this is just for the main H4 headlight bulb. Unless your driving lights have H4 bulbs in them, they wont be compatible.

We can mix and match any type of bulb or kit that HID Country carries to get to the minimum. The group buy does NOT have to be all H4 Motorcycle Kits.

I am getting HID for my truck as my part of this group buy.

So don't be afraid to look into other kits, they have a lot of neat stuff. They are even getting into LEDs.

As far as the dimensions of the H3, Your best bet would be to call them and discuss what you have and are doing. The times that I have called them they have been very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. They are not easy to call, you usually have to leave a message and wait for a callback. I send them an email with my basic question and a call back number and best call time.

The first time I placed an order with them, I ordered online. They thought my order looked like a weird combination so they called me to be sure that it was really what I wanted, they were right, I had not ordered what I really wanted, what I really wanted cost less than what I ordered. They gave up a more expensive sale to have a happy customer. That means a lot in my "Will buy again book".

As far as the dimensions of the H3, Your best bet would be to call them and discuss what you have and are doing. The times that I have called them they have been very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. They are not easy to call, you usually have to leave a message and wait for a callback. I send them an email with my basic question and a call back number and best call time.
I meant to say the fog lights were H3 bulbs but forgot. Anyway, judging from the pix on the website the different bulb configurations all seem to be the same size. While it would be best to call HID-Country to get an actual measurement, unfortunately I am very difficult to get in touch with so I doubt that will work out. If I could get a reasonably accurate length from the H4 bulb then I would be willing to take a chance the H3's will be the same.

If the H3 kit works in my fog lights, I would need four of them and two H4 for the headlights so both the Virago and the Venture can be done.

I meant to say the fog lights were H3 bulbs but forgot. Anyway, judging from the pix on the website the different bulb configurations all seem to be the same size. While it would be best to call HID-Country to get an actual measurement, unfortunately I am very difficult to get in touch with so I doubt that will work out. If I could get a reasonably accurate length from the H4 bulb then I would be willing to take a chance the H3's will be the same.

If the H3 kit works in my fog lights, I would need four of them and two H4 for the headlights so both the Virago and the Venture can be done.

I can't tell you what the dimentions of the bulb are, I don't have one on hand. But I would have to assume the length would have to be the same as a standard H3 halogen. If you change the length of a bulb, you would also change it's focal point. But it is best to call and ask them.

Elag

In order to have the correct focus the light producing element must be in the correct place, the rest of the bulb can be anywhere and might be bigger than an H3, I do not know.

Or just send them an email with your question, tell them what housing you are wanting to put it into.

• 1 month later...

So I did ask and the response was "about an inch" which was not quite as informative as I was hoping for. After opening up my fog light, the H3 bulb is also "about" an inch long.

All of this seems "about" right for it to work. However the bulb in my fog lights is mounted vertically so there may be a question as to whether the diameter of the bulbs is close enough to the same for the HID bulb to fit in the H3 position without contacting the reflector.

Just what-iffing here: but after looking in the fog light I'm wondering how well a Hi-Lo HID light would work. The lens is a projector with a removable plate that provides a cutoff to keep the light beam low. I'm guessing much would depend on the focal point of the projector as to whether dong this would create a Hi-Lo flood light rather than a set of headlights.

Sure would be nice if R&D wasn't so potentially expensive.

Putting aside my ramblings, has there been any progress with the group buy?