IGNORED

Planning ahead - 4 week trip 2011 or 2012

XV1100SE

For the past two years I've been looking at the RSV and waiting for the right bike to come along. Two and a half weeks ago (July 20th) I came across a 2009 RSV with only 2500km (have added 1300km since). Original owner had it 4 months.

My background is that I got my M license in 1990 (first bike was an '81 KZ305 which I put 20,000km on, second bike which I still have is a 1999 Virago 1100 which I've put 54,000km on). I'm still getting used to the RSV so thinking 2011 I'll do a Canada East Coast trip and plan the big trip for 2012.

The "dream ride" is from Kitchener (60 miles west of Toronto) to Chicago to pick up Rt 66 and follow it to California (2 weeks). From there, Pacific Coast highway up to Vancouver (1 week), and then across Canada (1 week) to home. Not looking to do straight milage as this will be a 2-up trip and will be sight seeing along the way. Might extend it to 5 weeks once I lay out the final plans.

What I'm wondering is .... when is the best time of the year to do this trip? Being in Canada and wanting to avoid leaving or returning when there is snow on the ground.... my window is basically May - Oct. Considering that I'd be following what used to be Rt 66 and going thru Texas/Arizona and how hot it can be during July/Aug.... when are the best months to go thru these States to avoid the hottest/wettest months?

Hello there,

I can tell you that through the desert southwest the weather in mid summer is hot and wet, we get our monsoonal moisture in july, 100* and raining in two mile patches just about anywhere.

The very best weather here is spring april / may. warm days cool to cold nights, its great !

i have been ridden out west since 2004..except for last year.......AZ., NM., basically start heating up sustained high 90's - 100"s around the first half of june......and continue through august.......but there is no way to predict that it will be that way every time every year...it can be cooler or warmer even earlier than that.........my best times through that area were in the last half of may...that has been my luck.......this year the week before we went out, it was hitting 107 in phoenix,az. the next week we were out , it was only 98 - 100......with what your doing...going north to south to north..it's gonna be hard to time your trip so as not to avoid weather extremes......i've seen snow in aspen in early june.....i'd say sept....

For the past two years I've been looking at the RSV and waiting for the right bike to come along. Two and a half weeks ago (July 20th) I came across a 2009 RSV with only 2500km (have added 1300km since). Original owner had it 4 months.

My background is that I got my M license in 1990 (first bike was an '81 KZ305 which I put 20,000km on, second bike which I still have is a 1999 Virago 1100 which I've put 54,000km on). I'm still getting used to the RSV so thinking 2011 I'll do a Canada East Coast trip and plan the big trip for 2012.

The "dream ride" is from Kitchener (60 miles west of Toronto) to Chicago to pick up Rt 66 and follow it to California (2 weeks). From there, Pacific Coast highway up to Vancouver (1 week), and then across Canada (1 week) to home. Not looking to do straight milage as this will be a 2-up trip and will be sight seeing along the way. Might extend it to 5 weeks once I lay out the final plans.

What I'm wondering is .... when is the best time of the year to do this trip? Being in Canada and wanting to avoid leaving or returning when there is snow on the ground.... my window is basically May - Oct. Considering that I'd be following what used to be Rt 66 and going thru Texas/Arizona and how hot it can be during July/Aug.... when are the best months to go thru these States to avoid the hottest/wettest months?

You are talking about 6800 miles, I think you will need 6 weeks riding two up for it to be enjoyable, especially using route 66 and PCH, they are both fairly slow going. A friend did an 7900 mile trip, mostly freeway, across America and back on his BMW solo and scheduled 6 weeks for it with a three two day stops, and three one day stops, and he said he had some days at the end that were longer on the bike than he wanted to get home on time.

Thank you for the feedback! (keep the ideas coming)

Thru work I can get up to 6 weeks off and if the general consensus is 4-5 weeks isn't enough I'll go with more time. Like I said... I want to be able to spend time seeing the sights and stay off Interstates as much as possible.

I know summer time would be killer thru the South so I was debating whether spring or fall would be best. Mid-May to end of June or Sept to mid-October would be the choices. Leaning towards the Fall.

What I'm thinking of doing is getting a big map of the U.S. and Canada, mount them on cork boards and using push pins to flag all the interesting places to stop and see. Came across http://www.landmarkunitedstates.com/state/ for ideas on landmarks.

Bev and I live along the pacific coast hwy and once you get here the heat isnt a factor as long as you keep close to the ocean on the way back up the coast. Its a beautiful ride up hwy 1 but I tend to have enough coast about the time i get to washington and head inland a bit. We have been caught in the western states heat in the summer and have said "never again". Death Valley and the desert is beautiful in the spring or fall though. I love that "wide open" riding. We plan our big trips in the spring and fall just to avoid the heat. Usually around the middle of may or at the end of sept is when we start out. Another option for making it through those western states if you get stuck there in june, july or august is to ride at night or get up in the wee hrs of the morning. Good luck with you planning...

Speaking from experience, don't do the southwest in mid summer!! 114F was horrible!

Another thing we regret is blowing thru. We missed sooo much.

Craigr

What he said! Ya don't want to be in the southwest (or even deep south) in the heat of summer on a "fun"(?) ride (unless of course you enjoy sweating a lot:)

Over the years I have found that the weather cannot be predicted. You need to be prepared for all kinds. I have seen snow in Cook City, WY. on July 23rd had to stay three days due to the snow.The wife and I don't mind the cold since we can add clothes, It is the heat that we cannot stand. We have found that the last week of May and home by the last week of June works the best for the people who live in the South. However your trip starts in the north and ends in the North.

Depending on what mountain passes you would like to travel across is how I would plan the dates. See how long it takes you to get into Texas, New Mexico, & Arizonia.

See attached link to our ride in 2008.

http://brianshoemakersironhorse.blogspot.com/

2up, wanting to see the sights, I'd go mid Aug, back 6 weeks later, end of Sept. But, I'd go the opposite way around, through Canada first and then back up through Chicago last. That way you would go through the Canadian Rockies at a better time.

Might be the way to go at that time of year.

Sounds fantastic to me. Have a great time.

Steve

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older thread but I thought I'd put my two cents in as I have done a similar trip and live in part of the country you'd be driving through. Taking the trip accross Canada first is a great idea, and I might suggest leaving in the early part of August, so you reduce the chance of early snow storms if coming accross in Sept.

You also should figure out what sights you want to see for sure and then put in secondary targets. Personally, I'd suggest seeing Yellowstone for sure. Its my favorite.

Also, you might like the idea of staying off the interstates, but much of the old 66 is not travelable or just flat out does not exist. Crossing the great plains really ain't so great. There really isn't much to see. Plan on the high points.

As I said, we made a similar trip in 3 weeks, that's with the wife and 2 small kids. Left Ft. Wayne Indiana, went to Mt. Rushmore, Custers last stand, Yellowstone, Reno, San Francisco and visited my brother a couple of days. LA for a whole weekend, then on to Palm Springs, Grand Canyon, Colorado, and then back to Wisc. I would think 4 weeks should be plenty of time.

i've got to disagree about the comment about rt 66 .....much of it still exists...it's just that some of it is not labeled as rt 66..( frontage rd, service rd, different state rd sign, etc. ).....so you gotta do some research.......i just saw where garmin has a gps out that has rt 66 in it...now that's the way to do it.........

I heard of a book, being sold, that details out the current route 66. But it costs a few bucks. Not sure, but do google search.

West coast, if cool, run the central valley. Or, if Hot, run the coast route ( U.S. 101 ) from LA area, up to Seattle and Vancouver. ( Always cool, on the coast route )

You can run LA to Seattle in two days, on I-5, but the coast route, allow 3 days. But thats just run time. allow extra for sight seeing. The I-5 route, you just never know what Temps will be. But I would expect, 100 to 105 tops in middle of August.

If your comeing thru PHX, and weather is too Hot, then switch to the Mt Route thru Flagstaff, higher altitude, and cooler.

Remember, the Desert, is just what it is. Be carefull, if you are not familiar with that type of rideing.

You can always Detour, North, if Temps get to high, There is NO Shortage or good roads, West of the Mississippi, river!!!! The choice, is Endless !!!

I could spend 3 weeks, running Back roads, in just Washington, and Oregon !!

And, a LOT less traffic, then back East, ( as they say )

george s

you are correct about the book........as a matter of fact...we stopped at the mid point cafe in adrian,tx this past june.......although this is no help, we met the person responsible for writing this book...it seems he drives rt 66 in it's entirety all the time..i don't have his name..or the title of the book.....but the book was there and was $24.99.....i haven't seen it in the bookstores yet...it is the latest update, and directions are very clear as to entering and exiting rt 66......i shoulda bought it.....

There is a web site that has turn by turn directions (of original route and later changes). http://www.historic66.com/description/

There are areas/bridges that no longer exist where you have to take detours. It also mentions restaurants and tourist spots to see.

As for planning side trips and sites of interest... I bought a poster sized map of the U.S. and have already been flagging it with post it notes of things to see and do in each State (including things like Air Venture in Oshkosh, WI in July).

I am looking at events coming up in the next couple years and considering the Pork in the Pines and Maintenance Day and will see what timing works best.

Really appreciate the feedback from members.