IGNORED

Just some questions and statements

Rick Haywood

First off new to the Venture Motorcycle. Have been riding for 30 years but have rode mostly Goldwings latley and Harley's in the 70's but I love my Venture.

I am getting around 46 mpg is this about what I should expect.

I see a bunch like the Avon Venom tire.......Why? how come not the Dunlap Elite 3

How foten do most change thier oil? My Clymers Manual Says 8,000 miles but I am old school and think 4.000 miles at most.

I do not like the fact that the only lights on the back is one tail light. What have others done to add more lighting without making it look over done. I like clean looking.

I ride a 2000 Venture Limited Edition

Thanks for Your input.

Rick :happy34:

Edited by Rick Haywood
misspelled words

...I am getting around 46 mpg is this about what I should expect...

...How foten do most change thier oil? My Clymers Manual Says 8,000 miles but I am old school and think 4.000 miles at most.

I do not like the fact that the only lights on the back is one tail light. What have others done to add more lighting without making it look over done. I like clean looking.

Thanks for Your input.

Rick,

43 miles to the gallon here. 06 RSTD

I am old school also and do mine at 4000

I added a Harley light bar/license plate holder right on top of my plate. That added two running/brake lights.

I also put two (and I forgot the name brand) 8 led plashing light blocks that are wired to brake light and have them mounted on the Harley frame right beside my plate.

Rick,

43 miles to the gallon here. 06 RSTD

I am old school also and do mine at 4000

I added a Harley light bar/license plate holder right on top of my plate. That added two running/brake lights.

I also put two (and I forgot the name brand) 8 led plashing light blocks that are wired to brake light and have them mounted on the Harley frame right beside my plate.

Thanks for the reply....one more question how do I attain the map of the usa like some have on here. I assume you can highlight the states you have rode in.

First off new to the Venture Motorcycle. Have been riding for 30 years but have rode mostly Goldwings latley and Harley's in the 70's but I love my Venture.

I see a bunch like the Avon Venom tire.......Why? how come not the Dunlap Elite 3

How foten do most change thier oil? My Clymers Manual Says 8,000 miles but I am old school and think 4.000 miles at most.

Thanks for Your input.

46 MPG? You are doing better than most. You must drive like an old man (fedora on top of the helmet, left turn signal on, driving 45 in the left lane).:stickpoke:

I usually get about 38 mpg.

Dunlop E3 are great tires. Good performance and great tread life. General concensus (but hardly unanimous) I have picked up on here along with my experience is:

Good tires:

Avon Venom (ran 'em, liked 'em - good performance, good life)

Dunlop E3 (ran 'em, liked 'em - good performance, great life)

Michelin Commander (haven't run 'em, but they have good VR reviews)

Not so good tires:

Dunlop D404 (never, ever, ever again - no way, no how)

Bridgestone (commonly referred to as 'Brickstones' - no need to say more)

Metzler 880 (some like 'em, some have had delamination problems)

Oil and filter change about 4000 miles even though the owners manual says 8000 mile intervals. Rear drive oil change every tire change.

Installed the HD license plate holder. Looks great. See picture (although very dirty) below.

Welcome to the VR family.

RR

OK need help on how to get the states I visited to show up. I went to manage my fiels and uploaded it but no luck

Rick,

go to USER CP on left hand side of main page.

Then in your users cp look for EDIT SIGNATURE

Click.

now that you are there go down to where it says browse for the file and do that. Upload and then click INSERT and it will show up in edit window as something like (sign)(sign)

I dont remember exactly how it looks but if you follow this, it should show up in the upper preview window.... save the signature.

Edited by TDunc
dyslexic fingers

46 MPG? You are doing better than most. You must drive like an old man (fedora on top of the helmet, left turn signal on, driving 45 in the left lane).:stickpoke:

I usually get about 38 mpg.

Dunlop E3 are great tires. Good performance and great tread life. General concensus (but hardly unanimous) I have picked up on here along with my experience is:

Good tires:

Avon Venom (ran 'em, liked 'em - good performance, good life)

Dunlop E3 (ran 'em, liked 'em - good performance, great life)

Michelin Commander (haven't run 'em, but they have good VR reviews)

Not so good tires:

Dunlop D404 (never, ever, ever again - no way, no how)

Bridgestone (commonly referred to as 'Brickstones' - no need to say more)

Metzler 880 (some like 'em, some have had delamination problems)

Oil and filter change about 4000 miles even though the owners manual says 8000 mile intervals. Rear drive oil change every tire change.

Installed the HD license plate holder. Looks great. See picture (although very dirty) below.

Welcome to the VR family.

RR

I like the Dunlop 404 tires and have used them for years. My 02 RSMV has close to 131,000 miles and the Dunlop has been on for 90% of these miles. I change oil at 5,000 and rear end at 10,000 miles. I have never had an issue with my motorcycle.:clap2:

:farmer:

Answers in bold red.

I get mid-30s on my Tour Deluxe, which is the fairingless version of your bike. I have a big windscreen, a lead wrist, and crap EPA-mandated fuel.

I ran Venoms and am now running the E3s. The E3 seems to get better life, but is noisier and seems stiffer, which makes me *feel* like it is less assured. I'll likely go back to the Venom.

When I let the stealership do the service, I did it at the recommended interval. Now that I do my own service, I target 4000 miles. Sometimes that goes into 5000 or 6000, but 4000 is what I think about.

I added the Electrical Connection Turn Signal Conversion Kit (described here) to add LED donuts to the turn stalks. That gives me a triangle of light. I also upgraded to the Custom Dynamics 100 LED brake light. This photo shows both items.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4580268798_037960592f.jpg

Thanks for Your input.

Hope this helps. You might also consider joining the site. It's the best $12 you'll ever spend.

Dave

Thanks for all the info, I now have some light ideas so all I need to do is decide. I really like the turn signal conversion and the lights under the trunk. May go with both plus I have the harley light bracket on an old gold wing I have maybe I rob it from the old bike.

First and foremost welcome to the site!

Now, after a quick scan through I didn't see pictures of it, although I believe it was mentioned...

I have the Radientz (from 'BikerHiWay') 32LED tail lamp plug and play replacement (lifetime warranty and total cost was 50 bucks, I think), and a 15" LED strip (from a truck stop; total cost WITH mounting hardware was maybe $20) that bolted right on between the helmet locks -- there is a write up on this, somewhere in here - I may do a quick search for it, but if not - it ought to be easy to find.

SilverDeer and I compared tail lamps (he has the 100 LED plug and play replacement) as shown in this image here:

Rick welcome, I hope you got the answers to most of your questions. You see how helpful everyone is around here. You also can use the Search feature above to look for any answer. Just about every question has been asked many times before, so I am sure there are plenty of answers here for you.

One request: Please post photos of your bike, when you get all these new lights added. Enjoy the site!

Yama Mama

Thanks for all the info, I now have some light ideas so all I need to do is decide. I really like the turn signal conversion and the lights under the trunk. May go with both plus I have the harley light bracket on an old gold wing I have maybe I rob it from the old bike.

Welcome to the family. Alot have put both on their bikes. Oh, and we need pics of the new bike also---its mandatory :Laugh:---pics of everything, you will find that out the more you hang out here.

I really like this one from custom dynamics for $22. Its lights three leds on always then all on for brake. Its a pretty good contrast. The end holes of the bar lined up to the trunk mounts with just a slight bit of reaming. I had another version on my old venture but it required adapters and hung a bit low blocking the licence plate. All the lights were on and just got brighter with the brake. http://www.customdynamics.com/Light_bars.htm

I really like this one from custom dynamics for $22. Its lights three leds on always then all on for brake. Its a pretty good contrast. The end holes of the bar lined up to the trunk mounts with just a slight bit of reaming. I had another version on my old venture but it required adapters and hung a bit low blocking the licence plate. All the lights were on and just got brighter with the brake. http://www.customdynamics.com/Light_bars.htm

Dat's da same one I gots

... hey Jack! How are you 2 doing these days? Rarely see much of you here anymore. Was there something in that tin of Tim Horton's coffee??? LOL

Well for now I ordered the kit that turns your turn signals into tail/brake lights from electrical connections and I will get them going and see how I like that. I really like the looks of the stock back end so if they and enough light I will leave it at that

Also can anyone or everyone tell me how much air they run in their back shock and front forks? Thanks so much