IGNORED

A 101 hp rstd ...?

SilvrT

Local (Vancouver, BC Canada) dealer is advertising a used 2006 RSTD rated at 101 HP. I questioned them about this stating it should be 97HP. They emailed back that in the US it is 97 but in Canada it's 101 HP.

Anyone ever heard of this??... I haven't.

I don't know what hp standard is used in Canada, but there a Lots of them. There's STD, bhp, SAE-hp, DIN-hp, french-cv, japanese-hp and Lots more of them.

They all differ somehow, i.e. the '09 Max is rated 197 hp in US and 200 (DIN-)hp in Europe.

Depends, under several other Things, on how the "standard" describes necessary Things must be running or not. I.e Waterpump, Generator and on and on ...

I think they are full of it. According to the USA website and the Canada website, the Venture is rated almost exactly the same. The only difference is that they list 97 HP on the USA site and 98 HP on the Canada site. Probably a US to Metric conversion difference.

The USA site lists the RSTD exactly the same as the Venture. The Canadian site doesn't list the RSTD at all but you can bet that it's the same also.

Torque on all three is listed exactly the same at the same RPMs.

I don't know what hp standard is used in Canada, but there a Lots of them. There's STD, bhp, SAE-hp, DIN-hp, french-cv, japanese-hp and Lots more of them.

They all differ somehow, i.e. the '09 Max is rated 197 hp in US and 200 (DIN-)hp in Europe.

Depends, under several other Things, on how the "standard" describes necessary Things must be running or not. I.e Waterpump, Generator and on and on ...

Yamaha Canada advertises the 2010 RSV as having 98 HP... same as the USA as far as I know. As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong), all RSV and RSTD engines are the same since 1999?

I think they are full of it. According to the USA website and the Canada website, the Venture is rated almost exactly the same. The only difference is that they list 97 HP on the USA site and 98 HP on the Canada site. Probably a US to Metric conversion difference.

The USA site lists the RSTD exactly the same as the Venture. The Canadian site doesn't list the RSTD at all but you can bet that it's the same also.

Torque on all three is listed exactly the same at the same RPMs.

Yes, I think they are "full of it" too... but I just feel compelled to call them on it.... like show me the proof sukkah! LOL

I seem to recall this being the same dealer/saleman who, a year ago, tried to tell me my '06 RSMV was a US model because it had the studded seats...either that or I changed them coz according to him, the studded seats were not available on Canadian product. Yeahsureright!!

So I emailed him and he said "we checked into it. It's 101HP"

So I emailed him again saying "well thanks for doing that ... and you can provide me with written proof of that? Specifically how is that HP measured ... "

And he came back with.. "However they always measure HP is how they measured this HP, I'm sure."

He's FULL OF IT .... (I'm sure) LOL

Well I did find the info on the Yamaha Canada site under last years models. Here is the link:

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=2997&section=ft&group=M#contentTop

and it says:

1,294cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, V-4 engine is tuned to produce class-leading power - 98hp @ 6,000 rpm and maximum torque of 89 ft-lb @ 4,750 rpm - for incomparable touring performance.

Well I did find the info on the Yamaha Canada site under last years models. Here is the link:

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=2997&section=ft&group=M#contentTop

and it says:

1,294cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, V-4 engine is tuned to produce class-leading power - 98hp @ 6,000 rpm and maximum torque of 89 ft-lb @ 4,750 rpm - for incomparable touring performance.

yep, that's what I quoted back to him and then I said I was emailing Yamaha Canada for verification... and he said "feel free to do so as that's where we got our information from".

I guess since I am at work and have nothing better to do, this will keep me entertained for the balance of the day LOL!

In my humble opinion, WHO GIVES A HOOT? What difference does 3 hp really mean. If you dyno test the beasts they come in way shy of 97/98 HP. If you had a true 101 HP engine and hooked it up to the current RSV/RSTD it would probably run about the same as the current models. :backinmyday:

:farmer:

In my humble opinion, WHO GIVES A HOOT? What difference does 3 hp really mean. If you dyno test the beasts they come in way shy of 97/98 HP. If you had a true 101 HP engine and hooked it up to the current RSV/RSTD it would probably run about the same as the current models. :backinmyday:

well, I for one "give a hoot" coz I'm bored at work and am enjoying entertaining myself and furthermore, my feathers get ruffled when dealers or anyone try to sell me a line of B/S .

play the game coz this is all it is.

:D :D

well, I for one "give a hoot" coz I'm bored at work and am enjoying entertaining myself and furthermore, my feathers get ruffled when dealers or anyone try to sell me a line of B/S .

play the game coz this is all it is.

:D :D

Well if you put it that way, it seems ok with me. I retired so I don't have to put up with boredom.

Local (Vancouver, BC Canada) dealer is advertising a used 2006 RSTD rated at 101 HP. I questioned them about this stating it should be 97HP. They emailed back that in the US it is 97 but in Canada it's 101 HP.

Anyone ever heard of this??... I haven't.

To me that is about a 4% optimistic error.

Much less then the speedometer error of 7% to 10%.

Maybe they are using the "Round Up to hundreds & add 1" Canadian magic HP formula.

I think I'll start telling my bike friends the same. My bike now has a magical Canadian crank HP rating of 101.

101 is a nice symmetrical number. Nice... :thumbsup:

JohnB

BTW -

Canadians are cool -

merely referring to that Canadian motorcycle Stealer!

Edited by First_N_Last

yep, that's what I quoted back to him and then I said I was emailing Yamaha Canada for verification... and he said "feel free to do so as that's where we got our information from".

I guess since I am at work and have nothing better to do, this will keep me entertained for the balance of the day LOL!

LOL now i could'nt think of a better reason!!!

go get em:stirthepot: