IGNORED

I'm having a very strong attraction......

Snaggletooth

I've been wrestlings with the thought of a new bike. I have some trips I like to take within the next couple of years and well, I love my Blonde '84 but I'd be insane to try my luck making these kinds of trips on the old girl. I've had my GW's before and ran them for all they could give me. My last one gave me 180,000 miles of pretty decent service. Great bikes. I've been watching the RSV since I bought my '84 and hoping for some, well, modern features to be added. Not going to happen soon I'm afraid.

I've been out looking over the bikes that have caught my interest and the one I keep coming back to is the BMW K 1200 LT. Much like the GW it's got some stuff that is over kill in my eyes. Power center stand, yikes, reverse, maybe need it later when my knees blow out again. Floor lighting.......floor?

The saddle bags are decent but the trunk looks a tad small. I've read of a few failures on the drive lines/rear end and wonder if it's double U joint set up that is the culprit.

The bike fits me well and and feels good for it size. I like the riding position on it. The motorized windscreen, in the tall version looks like it would be the trick for protection and road view.

I think someone here has one and was hoping for some insight on the bike from a riders view. I know the maintance is $$ but that comes with the brand.

I like this bike for the long haul type of trip. At this point a GW would be the second choice.

Any input?

Mike

I have looked at the FJR but not really all that attracted to it. Felt a little bit too crotch rocket to me I guess. Haven't had the chance to ride one yet for a "lets see how it feels" but wouldn't rule it completely out. It's a much lighter bike for sure and as what am planning is all solo it might be fine. If I could pull 600 or 800 miles in a day on it without feeling beat up at the end of the day........it's a possiblity.

Guest tx2sturgis

I'm not gonna be riding any of the sport tourers anytime soon...BUT....If I was looking at that type of bike I'd sure as heck take a ride on a Kawasaki Concours 14.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=442

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=41&article_id=1788

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/159/4948/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Kawasaki-Concours-14-First-Ride.aspx

And saving a bunch of large bills compared with buying the Beemer would be a bonus.

Hey Mike, Bill's ZX-14 is still on Ebay. That would be the right Bike for you.

Ok, it's not made to ride for 12 Hours per Day, but you could ride the same Distance in a third of the Time !!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I'm sorry, couldn't resist ...

The Floor Lighting is to give the Rider an Option on where he's about to place his Sidestand. With a Bike of this Weight, it sure seems advisable to seek fair ground to put the Stand on.

Guest tx2sturgis

The Floor Lighting is to give the Rider an Option on where he's about to place his Sidestand. With a Bike of this Weight, it sure seems advisable to seek fair ground to put the Stand on.

Your kidding...right?

:crackup:

Hi Ya Lutz......

I know....it's on my Bid-O-Matic. I'm watching it just for the fun of it. A sweet toy it would be for sure. I know I'd have to get a duplicate drivers license as I'm sure I'd be handing mine to the first LEO I meet. LOL!

So you have any comments on your thoughts on the failures on the rear ends of these Beemers? Seems to me like the double u joint would be the best set up but maybe it's an issue with the failures. Beemer don't acknowledge there is a problem but it seems to get mentioned a lot.

Like out whine.....

Maybe I'll buy a Rune..........:stickpoke:

Mike

Your kidding...right?

:crackup:

This is what the Dealer told me when i outlaughed the Floor Light on a K1200 LT .... When you think about it, it does make Sense, just like the hydraulic Center Stand. This Thing IS heavy ...

and no, i'm not kidding about Bill's ZX-14 either :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Guest tx2sturgis
This is what the Dealer told me when i outlaughed the Floor Light on a K1200 LT .... When you think about it, it does make Sense, just like the hydraulic Center Stand. This Thing IS heavy ...

So your saying that BMW thinks the riders of its bikes are scared of the dark? The damn thing has a nite-lite for the stand?

I'd laugh in thats guys face and walk out the door.

:rotf:

I have several friends I ride with that have the LT and they love it. Haven't heard of any particular problems. There are no dealers near me, and that is what kept it off my short list recently. A lot of bike and really good for long distance.

Might also want to check out the new Voyager. A lot of bike for the money.

I logged over 20,000 miles on my k1200lt before I sold the bike and bought my current RSV. I had absolutely no problems with the BMW. I installed footboards on the bike after my first long ride and that made a huge difference. Bike is heavy, but the second it starts rolling you would never know it. It would make my back hurt after riding several hours( I never did purchase a driver backrest) so I would put a large backpack loaded behind me for support. Accessories are more expensive and dealers are few and far between, but like I said never really had the need for one. I sold mine and bought the RSV because I could work on the RSV myself and liked the more traditional look better. Good luck with your decision, sure you'll love it if you get it.

So your saying that BMW thinks the riders of its bikes are scared of the dark? The damn thing has a nite-lite for the stand?

I'd laugh in thats guys face and walk out the door.

:rotf:

What i am saying is the Dealer told me, you better not place your Sidestand in the Mud or on another weak Surface. Therefore, they mounted a Light to enlighten the Side Stand Area at Night. Maybe i'm just to dumb to explain that.

Can't see any Relation to be afraid of the Dark, though.

Guest tx2sturgis
What i am saying is the Dealer told me, you better not place your Sidestand in the Mud or on another weak Surface. Therefore, they mounted a Light to enlighten the Side Stand Area at Night. Maybe i'm just to dumb to explain that.

Can't see any Relation to be afraid of the Dark, though.

And what I'm sayin, thats getting lost in the translation, is this:

A small light mounted under the frame cant tell you much about how solid the sub-surface might be...that information is delivered to the rider 3 ways:

• When his front ( or rear) tire slips, slides, or sinks as he approaches the desired spot.

• When his boots slip, slide, or sink ( or he feels loose gravel or broken asphalt) as he dismounts the bike.

• Experience, which any rider that owns a $20,000 BMW will NOT be a beginning rider.

These all work no matter what the ambient lighting is like.

Any surface the owner might be unsure about should not be parked on...a small light showing a dry or solid looking surface cant be trusted if the rider feels the 'mushiness' under his boot.

Im not disrespecting the owners of K1200LT BMWs...on the contrary, anyone who owns one has probably ridden a few hundred thousand miles and knows what is and what is NOT a suitable surface for 'landing'.

I'm just sayin experienced riders dont need a lite for that, unless maybe he wants to arrange some small kickstand pucks...still...I wouldnt be parking my expensive rig on an unknown surface.

It seems to me that experienced BMW pilots would feel just a bit insulted by the addition of a cute little light to help them park that thing.

Edited by tx2sturgis

my boss had one and really liked it, rode it for 4 yr and went to a 1150 dual-sport. you can check on delphiforums.com and search for motorcycle tours forum, a great group of guys who really do some riding and own all differant types of bikes. lots have the 1200 and i've heard mostly good reports on them. if you can find a nearby rally that yamaha takes their bikes to for test-riding. i'm going to star days in chattanooga, tn in a couple of weeks and they'll be there. i rode the fjr a couple of times and didn't really care for the riding position. several of my friends has one and they said if you add raisers and a backrest it helps out a lot. most bmw dealers will let you test ride the bike if you have a valid motorcycle liscene.

I rode an '06 FJR today just to give the bike an honest shake. It's a nice bike for sure but I don't think I could spend a few weeks of long days on it comfortably. I'm 6'2" and 285 lbs. Gave the Kaw Connie a run also and it would need a few changes to make it more comfortable for the long trip. Risers for sure. Tall ones.

The more I look at the Beemer the more I like the bike........but it keeps ringing in my ears.......what happens if I have a problem on the road? It might be probmatic if I was in the boonies with an issue. Odds of a breakdown on a new one....slim. But it bugs me

Then I ran into a 1999 Valk. 26,000 miles. Hummm..... I always liked Valks. GW reliablity.....comfortable for a big guy, plenty of power. Not enough bells and whistles to give ya nightmares.......?

Good Lord looking at bikes drives me nuts. I keep having to compare apples and oranges and throw in a banana to keep me hopping. LOL!

I guess I'll know when I sit on the right one and it says "I'm with you big boy, where we goin'?"

Still looking.......and riding.......

I'm not gonna be riding any of the sport tourers anytime soon...BUT....If I was looking at that type of bike I'd sure as heck take a ride on a Kawasaki Concours 14.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=442

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=41&article_id=1788

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/159/4948/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Kawasaki-Concours-14-First-Ride.aspx

And saving a bunch of large bills compared with buying the Beemer would be a bonus.

What a novel idea - take a bike that's already cutting edge and improve it after only 2 years. I wish Yamaha would take a page or two from that book.

Guest tx2sturgis

I guess I'll know when I sit on the right one and it says "I'm with you big boy, where we goin'?"

Aint it fun?

Hey look at one of these while yer window shopping:

http://www.bosshoss.com/products.asp

They make one with bags and a fairing...I nearly bought one several years ago...Pictures included.

Note the above link. The K1200LT is a great bike but, like the RSV, is now getting to the end of its production run. THe new K1600GTL "will" be the heavy BMW tourer next year, and it will be a LOT lighter than the current 1200 (plus it will be 160 horses:bowdown:

I personally am looking forward to seeing one and trying a test ride.....:innocent-emoticon:

Yep........BossHoss........

If I was bleeding money I'd probably be a proud owner.

But for a solo trip to Alaska........probably not a great choice. Other than to scare da bears.

But surviving a moose hit might improve.....not for the moose though.