IGNORED

why would't FI work on RSV

I know and have seen where enterprizing folks have converted Honda Valkyrie's to feul injection

even one with multi-port injection, but mostly to throttle body FI and most were supercharged also, if its possible on the valkyrie why not on the RSV.

Why can't we make a manifold and use a single side draft throttle body with proper CFM and fuel flow.

Point out all the problems to me.

Gregg

Edited by footsie

In addition to the fuel injectors, you would also need the exhaust sensors and a new TCI which you would have to program yourself.

There are kits to do this available, I looked once.

However, after looking at a couple of bikes where the manufacturer has gone thru this already.. ie. taken a bike which used to have carbs, and converted newer models to FI throttle body, there was little to no improvement in anything.

Guest tx2sturgis

I've seen conversion kits but none seemed to be what you might call plug-n-play....

Expensive, ugly, and hard to adjust properly. And the benefits, if there were any, did not justify the time and money spent.

If someone does come out with a good plug and play setup, what would you be willing to pay for it? $1000? $2000? $3000? Dont forget shop labor rates.

Even IF it gave you a bit more mpg, it would take a long time to pay for itself. And then, parts and service from other dealers would be iffy. Not to mention if done during the first 5 years it would surely void the warranty. So, that leaves us putting say, $2500 into a 5 year old bike with say, 40,000 miles on it....yeah, I'm seeing the downsides here. Hey you asked!

I've seen conversion kits but none seemed to be what you might call plug-n-play....

Expensive, ugly, and hard to adjust properly. And the benefits, if there were any, did not justify the time and money spent.

If someone does come out with a good plug and play setup, what would you be willing to pay for it? $1000? $2000? $3000? Dont forget shop labor rates.

Even IF it gave you a bit more mpg, it would take a long time to pay for itself. And then, parts and service from other dealers would be iffy. Not to mention if done during the first 5 years it would surely void the warranty. So, that leaves us putting say, $2500 into a 5 year old bike with say, 40,000 miles on it....yeah, I'm seeing the downsides here. Hey you asked!

My self I am quite happy to stick with the carbs. I find the bike functions just fine as it is and carbs are much more shade tree mechanic friendly. Carb issues are usually much easier to deal with, fuel injection issues are often expensive repairs and often diagnostic headaches.

Guest Swifty
I find the bike functions just fine as it is and carbs are much more shade tree mechanic friendly. Carb issues are usually much easier to deal with,

:depressed: :depressed: :depressed: :headache: :headache: :headache: :bang head: :bang head: :bang head:

My self I am quite happy to stick with the carbs. I find the bike functions just fine as it is and carbs are much more shade tree mechanic friendly. Carb issues are usually much easier to deal with, fuel injection issues are often expensive repairs and often diagnostic headaches.

And this is the only post someone will show Yamaha's enginers, along with the guy that loves the 8-track, and they will leave the next years model like it is. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: Knowing this what we want. :bang head: :sign woo hoo:

Bryan

Just kidding Saddlebum :whistling:

I like the 2nd gen venture, pretty much as it is.

I would like better fuel economy, particularly at 79.99 mph :bobby:

However, I like ease of maintenance. I'm uneasy about the long term reliability and ease/cost of maintenance of throttle body FI.

However, I like ease of maintenance. I'm uneasy about the long term reliability and ease/cost of maintenance of throttle body FI.

Have the other manufacturers who go to FI touring bikes had problems like everyone expresses? In my mind FI prevents needing to thinker and do your own maintenance. I don't see a lot of car manufacturers pumping out new carb'ed vehicles and there is a reason for it.

Guest tx2sturgis
Have the other manufacturers who go to FI touring bikes had problems like everyone expresses? In my mind FI prevents needing to thinker and do your own maintenance. I don't see a lot of car manufacturers pumping out new carb'ed vehicles and there is a reason for it.

The primary reason that Electronic Fuel Injection exists is that it allows the fuel/air ratios to be mapped to a more precise degree, to help control emissions. Greater fuel mileage and sometimes more horsepower are additional benefits. On a motorcycle you also lose the enrichener (choke) knob and fuel petcock on most bikes, although some DO retain a manual fast-idle control.

If the Venture came from the factory with EFI I'd be all for it. But as an add-on, I dont see why anyone would go to all the trouble. The engineering, the research, the marketing of something like that is very expensive and time consuming, so it had better have a major payout in the end. I see many owners on here complaining about the price of coolant, sparkplugs, tires, shocks, brakes etc. It seems we are a bunch of cheapskates and there is no doubt in my mind that the possible market for an EFI system (costing a few thousand dollars plus install) would be nearly zero, especially if it only raised the mpg a few miles per tank.

Not to mention all the other downsides I already laid out.

Fuel injection will do a few poss things and 1 neg.

1 Better fuel mileage

2 longer motor life(less fuel dilution why do you thing were getting 100,000-150,000 out of cars and trucks)

3 no more adjusting the carbs

4 and always having the proper fuel air ratio no mater where you drive

5 no cold start problems on 20 deg days

6 less air pollution

bad side wont need as many maintenance days guss we will all just have to to go for icecream:essen_018: just mho

I have been thinking about aftermarket FI for a long time for my RSTD and I have to agree,it would be expensive and not get enough change to justify the cost.

Having said that I would love for Yamaha to add FI to the Royal Star line but I fear that their solution will be to discontinue the bike.The platforms that used that motor have shrunk from 3 to 1 and the sales of the Royal Stars are not and never have been really that great and Yamaha appears to have zero interest in developing the Venture any further.Sad days indeed.I went thru this once with the 1st gen and I don't think we are very far away from it happening again.:depressed:

The Triumph 900cc twins (bonneville family) were carburated, and went to FI a couple years ago. The gas mileage didn't change.

while they don't have a choke, they do have a 'warm up fast idle' lever to pull where the choke used to be.

Not to be a nay-sayer. All other things equal, I would choose FI over carbs today on a new bike. But the cost of upgrade in my garage is too much.

Yes I asked and yall are giving me what I asked for, I am actually working on my 70 model 750 four honda, making a chopper out of it, (no it's no a pristine bike, if was i wouldn't touch it) but I have constructed a manifold to run either a side draft TBI, or a single carb, and got thinking about the RSV. But draw backs that have been posted apply to both.

The Start of any project or new Idea is when I think one should concider all the negative aspects, after you are into the project and trying to make it work then focus on the postive side until it is successful or failure occurs.

Thanks for all the input.

Gregg

Guest PlaneCrazy

I don't see why anyone is really concerned about FI in the RSV. Sure, if it came that way from factory, I probably wouldn't complain but then again... there's a lot of issues with FI that many people don't consider.

FI does all the benefits mentioned above and the two most noticeable ones for non-mechanically minded people are a smoother running engine and better fuel economy. However, it's been my experience that FI and the computers that run them can mask a lot of other problems in the engine that you would notice with a carbureted bike. The computer compensates for things and you never know anything is wrong until some sensor tells you so.

Also, it's much harder and more expensive to customize the engine and exhaust when you run fuel injected. Look at Harleys... Throw some slip ons on a Harley and then you have to get the computer reprogrammed, which costs in the neighbourhood of $250-300 I heard. Just a tad more expensive then the $25 in jets and needles I used on my last Stage III mod. :confused07:

Personally, I look at my car as a tool and the more automatic it runs the better. I look under the hood about once every 6 months, lol. But my bikes are different and I like the hands on approach with them and to know their systems inside out.

Keep the carbs... loose the casette deck :)

Fuel injection may or may not get better fuel economy. It is not uncommon for Ventures to get mileage in the mid to upper forties. About the same as most EFI Ultras. At least not enough difference to make me want to go out and spend a lot of money. O2 sensors are not required for fuel injection although having them can be an advantage. Broad band being the better choice for motorcycles. I can't think of any pre 1982 fuel injection systems that used an exhaust sensor. Auto manufacturers use electronic fi to help them to meet increasingly stringent emission regulations.

I have never seen a Yamaha advertisement for a Venture. I seldom see a Venture at a dealership. And what is with only one color per year? No wonder Harley rules the roost. They are the only one's cultivating the market. OK Goldwing to some extent. Perhaps Kawasaki will advertise their new Voyager and some of those shoppers will sluff off on Yamaha. If I could mount a piano on my bike, perhaps that would get Yamaha's attention. All of this screaming for a new model or running improvements certainly hasn't been heard.

Mike