IGNORED

Beads or sheepskin?

bj66

Was thinking on adding something to my RSTD seat to give me a little help in the comfort department. Went on a 750 mile round trip ride last weekend, got a tad sore, and was thinking about beads. Not sure if the sheepskin would be better though. This topic has probly been gone over before, if so, sorry for bringing it up again. Sending the seat to Rick Butler would be the best solution, but will have to wait. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

We tried both sheep skin & Beads on our old 83 Venture and we liked the beads much better you can feel the cool air under you as your going down the hwy to where the sheep skin just keep you comfy.

Oh and don't use the beads during winter time or they will freeze you know what off:whistling:

We bought our beads at Wallie World in the automotive section did some modifying to fit the seat they worked really well......

I ended up with a lambskin, a 3/4 shorn type. Soft and plush. I tried the longer sheep skins and didn't get the comfort of the 3/4 type.

Nothing like it. Leave it in the sun all day and never feel the heat when ya saddle up. It helps take the pressure off the tail bone to. Spent a few 600 mile days with not discomfort at all.

I tried a sheepskin on my iron butt. I used luggage as a backrest, and pulled the sheepskin up (picture). However, after a while, the sheepskin crept down and forced me forward. I ended up riding on my, um.... , definitely not what was hoped for in the comfort department. Part of it is the shape of the RSTD bucket seat.

It is some better when my wife rides pillion, as she keeps it pulled back. I still get forced forward, but not so badly. She *loves* it though, so I endure.

I got this at IKEA for sheep. Er, cheap.

Dave

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3456/3927254595_bce15ab8c8_b.jpg

Beads all the way..

I have used both on my 83 and 84 VR...Beads keep your butt cool and are also great when your seat gets wet...Keeps you above the moisture...The beads also massage your hindquarters as you move around..

bead rider .com

Clay

I haven't tried a sheepskin but the beads have worked very well for me. Plenty of ventilation and a butt massage every time you move. Keeps the blood flowing and no hot spots. 800 mile days with no issues. A little Gold Bond Powder helps also!

Well, you didn't ask for other options, but I'll give you one. I have beads and sheepskin both. Either one will give a bit more comfort for me, but only temporary. What I found to be the all-day comfort solution is the gel pad that WalMart sells. It is only $20 and keeps me comfy all day long. Most WM supercenters have these in the automotive section, usually near the seat beads. Look for Ultimate Comfort or Ultimate Relaxation.....can't remember for sure which is right. These have a "waffle" type get encased in a vented fabric cover. The bottom side is an anti-slip material. It stays put on the seat even when you move.

I recommended this to a couple of my buddies and they also bought them and are thrilled. One of those guys who has fought monkey-butt for years told me "This pad is amazing!"

If you can find them, give them a try. You won't be out much money and I'd bet you'll throw away any other pad you might have.

Joe

Variety is the Spice of life...

If you can afford it, get one of each. I personally have the 3/4 inch sheep skin, and the AIRHAWK AND soon will be getting some beads.

I modified a motorcycle seat once and inserted a one inch gel pad (like the kind on wheeelchairs) and it too was comfy as all getout... "WARNING --- IF YOU DO THE GEL MAKE SURE YOU COVER IT UP ON A HOT SUMMER DAY AS IT WILL BLISTER YOUR BEHIND WHEN YOU ATTEMPT TOP MOUNT THE BIKE:"

Other than that, they are ALL good. Change out/swap them at fillup/reststops and you'll be a happy camper.

Well, you didn't ask for other options, but I'll give you one. I have beads and sheepskin both. Either one will give a bit more comfort for me, but only temporary. What I found to be the all-day comfort solution is the gel pad that WalMart sells. It is only $20 and keeps me comfy all day long. Most WM supercenters have these in the automotive section, usually near the seat beads. Look for Ultimate Comfort or Ultimate Relaxation.....can't remember for sure which is right. These have a "waffle" type get encased in a vented fabric cover. The bottom side is an anti-slip material. It stays put on the seat even when you move.

I recommended this to a couple of my buddies and they also bought them and are thrilled. One of those guys who has fought monkey-butt for years told me "This pad is amazing!"

If you can find them, give them a try. You won't be out much money and I'd bet you'll throw away any other pad you might have.

Joe

I would like to see a photo please. Also is this specifically made for motorcycle seats?

We use a sheepskin, which we purchased at Ikea for $20 that fits our bike seat perfectly. Of course, we have an RSV which may feel different than the RSTD stock seat.

Yama Mama

I would like to see a photo please. Also is this specifically made for motorcycle seats?

We use a sheepskin, which we purchased at Ikea for $20 that fits our bike seat perfectly. Of course, we have an RSV which may feel different than the RSTD stock seat.

Yama Mama

Here is a link to the mfr website: http://www.vr-3.com/product.php?p=RGSC100#

You cannot order from this site, the only place I've found them is at WalMart.

I found these by reading the gl1800riders.com forum, apparently hundreds of 1800 riders use these. They are not made specifically for motorcycles but match my 1800 seat really well, and I think they'd do the same on an RSV. The outer cover zips off, and if you want you can trim the gel pad to the shape/size you want and then modify the outer cover as well. Others have had good results doing that.

I bought 2 of them and Donna likes hers as much as I like mine. We don't leave home without them!

Joe

I also seen everyone on the GL1800 site was buying the walmart pad. When we where up at Americade and shopping at wally world, I told my brother about the pad for his wife. She was complaining about the seat on his harley and was wanting him to buy a new bike. They bought the pad and he said it was the best $20. investment he made. She is no longer pesting him about buying a bike. we had to go back to walmart and get one for another harly riders wife, she was pissed because her husband did not buy her one when we were there the first time.

I also seen everyone on the GL1800 site was buying the walmart pad. When we where up at Americade and shopping at wally world, I told my brother about the pad for his wife. She was complaining about the seat on his harley and was wanting him to buy a new bike. They bought the pad and he said it was the best $20. investment he made. She is no longer pesting him about buying a bike. we had to go back to walmart and get one for another harly riders wife, she was pissed because her husband did not buy her one when we were there the first time.

I'm telling ya, it's the best kept secret in the motorcycle world. It saved me from having to spend $$$$$ trying to find a better seat.

Just got home from vacation and thought id try out the set of wally world seat beads i bought. Thought id try them cause they are cheap, if they dont work for me im not out much. I ran them for a short ride of about 20 miles, and I dont like em. I cant get comfortable at all. I'm glad nobody was following me cause as much as i was shifting around on the seat trying to get comfy, i must of looked like a dog dragging his butt on the carpet or something......lol. Anyway they arent for me and i wont order a good set to fit my seat. I'll have to try something else.

Just got home from vacation and thought id try out the set of wally world seat beads i bought. Thought id try them cause they are cheap, if they dont work for me im not out much. I ran them for a short ride of about 20 miles, and I dont like em. I cant get comfortable at all. I'm glad nobody was following me cause as much as i was shifting around on the seat trying to get comfy, i must of looked like a dog dragging his butt on the carpet or something......lol. Anyway they arent for me and i wont order a good set to fit my seat. I'll have to try something else.

thanks for the laugh......woof, woof

I'm telling ya, it's the best kept secret in the motorcycle world. It saved me from having to spend $$$$$ trying to find a better seat.

Thanks Joe for the info. I totally forgot about buying that pad for Peg when we were at the ST. Charles meet her back was killing her when we got up there she was in total pain she could hardly walk at all we sat one day out due to her back really hurting her and it was raining that day too so that helped some. anyway Kross Krounty gave us a passenger sheep skin cover and I bought the Wallie world pad and they both together did wonders for Peg's back going home her back still gave her problems so she went to the Doctor, if not for the pad I do not know where we would have been.

Thanks To ColesGrandpaw for the back rubbing medicine too that really help!!

Peg still uses the Pad & Sheepskin and loves it very much. As for the beads we let them go with the 83 Venture when it sold....

I figured id try the wally world pad cause it was easy to get. Id have to order a sheepskin from somewhere, none available locally. I got the wally pad, and I gotta tell ya that I really like it. So far so good. Cant go wrong on the price, and I was really surprised how well it sticks to the seat. Doesnt move around at all. :thumbsup2:

went to wallyworld and bought some beads..... for those who have done the same can you tell me the best way to reshape them to fit the seat (07 RSTD)...i.e. how and where to cut the nylon line(s). i suspect some re-tying of the nylon is called for ?!