IGNORED

So who buys cheap ammo?

Snaggletooth

A friend of mine that shares an interest in handguns shot this to me yesterday. Made me cringe a bit. I've seen a couple of ammo mishaps before but this had to be a close call for the shooter.

A guy came into the PD the other day to ask a favor. He had a S&W 629 (44 Mag.) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range.

He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new ammo, (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash.

When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he saw ...

Bet he never uses Chinese made Ammo again!

WOW that certainly would get ones attention. Certainly happy to know the owner is OK with nothing more then some minor injuries.

Of course the owner probably won't be able to repair/replace that gun under any warranty claim from the ammo company.

Other then rolling my own ammo I always stick with reputable companies and seeing these photo's just reinforces those opinions.

Larry

WOW!!!

I do my own reloading so I always know what I've got.

The 44 MAG loads are very near a full case, I can not see how to get enough powder in the case to do that much damage unless it was completely the wrong powder.

My first thought was that the gun was fired with an obstructed barrel.

90% of my shooting is with ammo that I have reloaded myself. ALL of the bad loads that I have ever fired were with name brand factory ammo.

That's an old photo that circulated the gun boards last year or the year before. They chased it down to the original posting on one board and the story was he rolled his own and used the wrong powder. I forget the specifics on it but it was in Alaska if I remember correctly.

I was Deer hunting one time when I drew a bead on a nice buck. Pulled the trigger on my Rem 300 Savage and got a "CLICK" Dropped it down turned it over on its side to look down at the action and "Bam!!" It came from a new box of Remington Ammo. Still like to know where that Buck went. At least a 10 pointer!!

I used to sell guns and a guy brought in a Charter Arms bulldog. The 44 special. It looked much the same but didin't have and cartridge remains in it. I sent it back to Charter for him as I wouldn't replace the pistol. They said they ran every test they had on it and determined that it wasn't the gusn fault. However in the interest of customer relations they replaced it.

I was Deer hunting one time when I drew a bead on a nice buck. Pulled the trigger on my Rem 300 Savage and got a "CLICK" Dropped it down turned it over on its side to look down at the action and "Bam!!" It came from a new box of Remington Ammo. Still like to know where that Buck went. At least a 10 pointer!!

Guess that would be classified as a hang fire Dan, Ya think?

flb_78 that would explain a lot on that gun now. Probably wrong powder there and too much at that.

Larry

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/guns/rifles/ammunition/2009/11/expert-gunsmith-jc-blauvelt-over-pressure-rounds-and-e&rct=j&sa=U&ei=g7IvTMOZCcP68AbeluDJCw&ved=0CCIQFjAD&q=exploding+hand+guns+pics&usg=AFQjCNGYfNMO7S1lkbBYnMt6wpyaQhOT0A

Vary same pics Field and Stream Nov 4, 2009. Not Chinese ammo, improper hot reloads. Its always amazing how 'truths get stretched'. :stirthepot:

Still an eyeopener whatever the reasons.

I reload my own 9mm and 30-30. My 'experimenting' is always within limits of the 'book'. Leave the untested to the experts:doh:

It has been a good while since I used my re-loader, RCBS, but let me tell you one thing. When I did reload and I have done several different calibers, some powders because of there burn rate can cause this. On the 44 mag I used two powders but I never had more than one on the table at on time. I used Hercules Unique and Hercules 2400. With Unique max load was around 10.4 Grs with 240 grain jacket bullet, 2400 was around 17.7 Grs. The Unique was a much faster burning powder so you could not load as much as the 2400. The 2400 gave a little better muzzle velocity so it depended on what kind of shooting you were doing. If you got the two different powders mixed up you could accidently double load with Unique and this could destroy your handgun. You have to pay attention. Lord knows what the Chinese are doing, bad pet food, lead paint baby toys, who knows.

I used to buy some reloads at the gun shows til I had one fire just enough to get the bullet in the barrel and before I could stop the person shooting because it sounded funny they fired another round and lodged two in the barrel. Luckly it was my dan wesson 357 and I could take the barrel apart and just order a new inner barrel. if it wasnt for the fact that I was shooting target loads and that the dan wesson is a well built gun someone could have gotten hurt! I reloaded for a while but havent messed with it in some years as I dont seem to have the time.

It is even possible to have catastrophic results from to light of a load.

I recall reading in some of my reloading manuals that some powders have a minimum load and going lighter can cause detonation instead of controlled burning causing extreme overpressure due to not enough powder.

It is even possible to have catastrophic results from to light of a load.

I recall reading in some of my reloading manuals that some powders have a minimum load and going lighter can cause detonation instead of controlled burning causing extreme overpressure due to not enough powder.

which is why some loaders making special light loads, will fill the case with a wad and then cornmeal to keep the light powder load together and in front of the primer.

I dont buy cheep ammo.

The last gun I fired was one of these:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/209800320_bd4617ecb2.jpg

note there are actually two guns in this photo.... can you spot them???

Sure, it is the Phalanx Gun System positioned at 11 o'clock from the what I think may be a 5 incher. Don't know much about Naval Gun Fire, otherthan I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

Sure, it is the Phalanx Gun System positioned at 11 o'clock from the what I think may be a 5 incher. Don't know much about Naval Gun Fire, otherthan I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

The gun in front is a MK 45 5" gun. Click HERE for the Wikipedia article.

The gun that is aft on the ship a 20 mm CIWS Phalanx which has a six barrel 20mm gattling gun. Click HERE for the Wikipedia artice

Both make a lot of noise.

Not all reloads are cheap. There are a lot of champion marksmen that load there own loads because they get better results than factory loads. It's like anything else, you have to know what you are doing and pay attention. :backinmyday: