IGNORED

Zumo 550 locks up

It has happened two or three times now. I'll just be riding along and look down at my Zumo 550 and notice the screen has locked up. I can't even turn the thing off when that happens. To fix the problem I must remove the unit from it's mount then remove the battery. Once the battery is reinstalled it works like new. WTH! Anyone experience this? What's the fix? or should I just get a 660?

I had the same thing happen to mine. There was another way to reset it without pulling the battery. I think you pushed the upper and lower left buttons at the same time. I got the info at Zumo forums.

Mine ended up quitting completely after awhile. Garmin replaced it for free and the new unit seems to be much better.

I'm on my 3rd Zumo 550. And to say, Garmin treated me well ! I have only had one to lock up once and that was the one I have now. I have not had any issues with this one unit to date except the lock up at which it was a very HOT day and while coming back from Rollin Thunder. With 50 or so bikes waiting to get fuel, more engine heat made the Zumo even hotter. I was wearing a cooling vest and had another in the BEERCART's cooler. I simply wrapped the Zumo in the extra cooling vest and within a minute, it went back to full operation. Coming back from vacation on I-95 in NC, it was hot again and got stuck for awhile in road construction (10 mile backup moving at a snail's pace) , I noticed the Zumo was responding slower and yes it was getting HOT again. So I decided to drive the shoulder at 15 mph till we got to an exit to take the back roads. After we started moving, the Zumo went back to normal. I would say at least in my circumstances that it was the heat .

BEER30

It has happened two or three times now. I'll just be riding along and look down at my Zumo 550 and notice the screen has locked up. I can't even turn the thing off when that happens. To fix the problem I must remove the unit from it's mount then remove the battery. Once the battery is reinstalled it works like new. WTH! Anyone experience this? What's the fix? or should I just get a 660?

I had some issues like yours ... the first thing I did was turn off my bluetooth to my phone. That solved the freezing up ... I then made sure my hardware updates were current.

• 4 weeks later...
Mine froze once. Called Garmin. They recomended I run the software update. Updated and have not had problem since.:thumbsup2:

I am on my second 550...well actually maybe 3rd (awaiting repair reply from Canadian repair center)

My first 550 lasted 3 years, it died in May of this year, sent it back for an exchange unit for $160 bucks which I thought was a good deal, it lasted 3 uses and it died..and when I say died..locked up, no soft reboot, hard reboot, batteries removed overnight etc. would help

I am seriously considering just going to a automotive gps like a 265WT and a Zip Loc bag for rain protection, has anyone used a 2xx Nuvi on a bike and would like to comment?

i' use the 265wt.............but this is my second unit, as the first one started screwing up.............garmin gave me a "new" one....i just happened to be in ottawa, ks...and pulled into garmin's headquarters.........so far the second one is working....understand that the screen washes out in bright sun....but i like it....

I am on vacation now and my zumo has quit? The touch screen is not responding and looks brown on view side as if stuck. I have tried everything and believe it is in need of repair? I tried screen calibration and every boot possible. I,m not happy! have to send it in when I get home!!!!

I am on my second 550...well actually maybe 3rd (awaiting repair reply from Canadian repair center)

My first 550 lasted 3 years, it died in May of this year, sent it back for an exchange unit for $160 bucks which I thought was a good deal, it lasted 3 uses and it died..and when I say died..locked up, no soft reboot, hard reboot, batteries removed overnight etc. would help

I am seriously considering just going to a automotive gps like a 265WT and a Zip Loc bag for rain protection, has anyone used a 2xx Nuvi on a bike and would like to comment?

So far, no issues with my 550 after 2 years of use. But one thing I do is cover the entire unit in a cheap baggy to keep the dust, rain, bugs and general road grime out. Again no issues, no lock ups, just keeps on telling me wrong turn or I left the Mechanic at the last gas station.

So far, no issues with my 550 after 2 years of use. But one thing I do is cover the entire unit in a cheap baggy to keep the dust, rain, bugs and general road grime out. Again no issues, no lock ups, just keeps on telling me wrong turn or I left the Mechanic at the last gas station.

a baggie on a Zumo? IMO that kinda defeats the whole purpose of a motorcycle friendly GPS....although considering the track history of my Zumo, I can see a baggie on a 265WT in the near future :)

Sent mine in today so we will see what happens 3yrs old $1100 new. I'm not too happy. I like the unit when it worked and will miss it if they can't fix it.

I bought a Nuvi 255w for $120 while on vacation to use and now a backup if mine comes back. They still want over $700 new for the Zumo so I can't see that if they only last 3 yrs?