IGNORED

My motorsickle is not motoring anymore.

flb_78

Tooling along I-64 in Southern Indiana near exit 39 and my Venture quit moving forward. Engine still runs, but bike will not move forward. Bought a trailer at tractor supply and found a pickup to tow it the rest of the way to Waynesburg, KY. Im not moved in yet and I have not had a chance to check out the problem, but when the bike is in gear, there is a terrible noise either coming from the middle gear section or the final drive itself. It's so loud that I cannot tell where it's coming from yet. This was done on the side of the interstate waiting on help.

Well anywho, I'm in Kentucky now in a motel waiting for some lectricity at the house. Once I get moved and settled in, I'll tear into the bike.

99 Venture with 99,600 miles on it.

Guest tx2sturgis

What are you doing in Kentucky?

And yes, I'd bet $50 its the rear drive unit.

Seriously, what are you doing in Kentucky?

Sounds like the thread and nut portion at the U-joint sheared. I have come across a couple repairs like that on customers bikes.

The noises youre talkiing about is exactly what happened to mine a couple of years ago at Venture West, snapped just behind the nut at the ujoint and then the pinion got out of align and took out the final drive gears totally.

I hope its easier than that for you, but I am betting you will see something like this....... http://picasaweb.google.com/friesman1/85Venturerebuild_Nov11_08#5267995040305192498

Brian

Edited by friesman

The noises youre talkiing about is exactly what happened to mine a couple of years ago at Venture West, snapped just behind the nut at the ujoint and then the pinion got out of align and took out the final drive gears totally.

I hope its easier than that for you.

Brian

Nope, yours took out the middle gear assy.... Engine was upside down on a bench, in pic below.

When muffin got the 83 it had the same problem. Pull pumpkin and drive shaft look at the large end of shaft ours wore out the cup. Lack of lubrication wore out the teeth on both the cup and the shaft at the normal mating point. Inspect that area well hopefully that's what the problem is. No I didn't come up with this myself Muffin dictated.

Margaret

• 2 weeks later...
When muffin got the 83 it had the same problem. Pull pumpkin and drive shaft look at the large end of shaft ours wore out the cup. Lack of lubrication wore out the teeth on both the cup and the shaft at the normal mating point. Inspect that area well hopefully that's what the problem is. No I didn't come up with this myself Muffin dictated.

Margaret

Well, Finally took the time and tore it down. Found that where the drive shaft splines into the final drive unit no longer has splines in it.:headache:

Luckily, I have an extra final drive unit so a quick search on ebay will get me a replacement shaft and hopefully I'll be mobile fairly quickly!!

Just ordered a used one from Pinwall for $40 shipped. Hopefully they can find my new address here in Kentucky because I can still just barely find it!!!

Welcome to Kentucky!!! Home to good whiskey, pretty horses, and fast women,.....er..., something like that. Hope ya's time here gets better. Hate to see you start out with motorsickle problems right from the get go. Anyway, welcome. If you get to the western part of the state, look me up. Numbers in the contact list.

Glenn

Well, Finally took the time and tore it down. Found that where the drive shaft splines into the final drive unit no longer has splines in it.:headache:

Luckily, I have an extra final drive unit so a quick search on ebay will get me a replacement shaft and hopefully I'll be mobile fairly quickly!!

So what would cause that? Too many wheelies? Or just 100k Miles?

Splines not lubed, will cause the wear.

Yup, Poor maintenance on my part.

All better now though, new used driveshaft and a new used final drive, some moly infused lithium soap based grease and a drizzle of 85w140 gear oil fixed the problem.

Sorry for the bad pic. My camera doesn't like closeups even on the closeup setting, but I think you can still see the wear on the splines. The final drive looks like they've all been pushed over.

How do you get that out of the pumpkin? I tried to remove it during last winter's maintinance and was not able to.

Is this spline not lubed by the rear end gear oil?

RR

I also thought that the spline was lubed by the rear end oil. Or at least it is on my 1st gen. When I pull out the drive shaft I can (and did :doh:) dump all of the oil out of the final drive through the drive shaft hole.

Is it possible that you had a low oil level in the final drive causing insufficient lubrication to the spline?

Jeff, to remove the drive shaft you just pull real hard. BUT, the reason it is coming out hard is because the oil seal is dried and all but glued itself to the housing. Plan to have to replace the seal if/when you do get it to let go.

I also found out the rear wheel can be removed without a jack. I have a Freebird center stand. Put it on the stand, tear it down and pull the axle out, remove the final drive and the wheel and tire will come out.