IGNORED

How do you pick this d***n thing up!!!

Guest RichG

Guest RichG

OK, so I just got the bike and I'm sure this has been covered in this forum somewhere, but...........

was in a parking lot the other day, sitting on the RSV, pushing it out of a space, turning the bike a little, when.............

the ground under me sloped off a little. Long story short, it went down...........

I stepped off, a little shook, faced the bike (the wrong way I know) and tried to lift it. No FRICKEN WAY was it going to move. A guy ran over and together we lifted it. So I rode away embarrassed.

Today, I get my neighbor to come over and we gently lay it down on the kickstand side onto a piece of cardboard. So I back up to it, grab the lower half of the handlebar and the seat and push with my legs. Now, I'm not a little guy, as a matter of fact I'm stronger than the average. I could not budge the thing!!! He had to help me get it back on the kick stand.

THIS IS SCARRY! How do you lift it? Do I need to carry a bottle jack?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, check this out: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPyX0QCYw]YouTube- How to pick up your motorcycle[/ame]

Someone had posted this previously but I can't find the thread. Also there are some related videos of how to pick up a goldwing and such!

I was backing mine into the driveway and as I went over the hump from the street it went down. I went in to get the wife to come out to help. She was taking her time and I wanted it picked up before Everyone seen the bike down so I remembered the technic so I backed up to the bike, butt against the seat one hand on the handle bar grip the other on passenger grip and started backing up once it starts up it gets easier. I am 5'8" 165lbs average. Practice and you can do it. I am comfortable knowing I can pick it if I need to. Good luck.

First, I've used the video technique way too many times. I've never admitted it, and am not now, but someone foggy headed and worn out on an ironbutt forgot to put down the kickstand and it laid on it's side. Then, it went over on the other side after being lifted up. So, this person got two turns to practice the maneuver, and it worked even when this person was tiiiiiired.

Second, I know that my lower body strength has improved much after getting my bike. I could barely roll it when I first got my bike. Now I can back the bike up, even on hills. If you are a bit understrong now, it will change.

But thirdly, good on you for practicing the maneuver. Keep at it and you will be able to do it. Even on an ironbutt.

Dave

Guest RichG
I was backing mine into the driveway and as I went over the hump from the street it went down. I went in to get the wife to come out to help. She was taking her time and I wanted it picked up before Everyone seen the bike down so I remembered the technic so I backed up to the bike, butt against the seat one hand on the handle bar grip the other on passenger grip and started backing up once it starts up it gets easier. I am 5'8" 165lbs average. Practice and you can do it. I am comfortable knowing I can pick it if I need to. Good luck.

OK, so it is possible to do it.............. I'm 5' 11", 180 lbs, I should be able to...well I mean I have to be able to!

I'll get my girl friend to help me put it down so I can try it again. I thought the technique was only about backing up to the bike but there must be more to it. I'll check them out.

Thanks for the responses,

Rich

I've had to pick mine up a few times and it's not too difficult using the right method. But i'm thinking that without the crash bars acting as a pivot point, it could be a whole nother bucket of worms.

By the way,,,,,was this thread started to see who is donating their $5.00 per drop?:think:

If so, that was sneaky! I'm guilty!

Guest RichG

OK, I did it http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gifhttp://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/111.gif

After doing a Google search and watching bunches of girls pick up little bikes, a Sportster, a Ninja, a BMW that probably weighed less than 600lbsetc, etc, etc, I saw a small girl pick up a Gold Wing. "Alright!" my testosterone said. So I put card board under the right side and walked it down to the floor then walked it back up. Then I did it again...............I don't think a girl can pick this sucker up. It's heavy!!!!!

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/msg/emoticons/pirate_2.gif

Thanks for all the help. I feel like I can do it when (if) I need to.

I'd like to see someone 6'6" try and do that. The problem is getting your butt low enough to get under the thing. I gently layed the '83 down right after I got it, and I did use the technique, but the bike didn't go all the way down and just came to rest on the case and saddle guards. I had to really strain to get it up. If it had gone all the way down it'd still be laying there.....

Guest RichG
I'd like to see someone 6'6" try and do that. The problem is getting your butt low enough to get under the thing. I gently layed the '83 down right after I got it, and I did use the technique, but the bike didn't go all the way down and just came to rest on the case and saddle guards. I had to really strain to get it up. If it had gone all the way down it'd still be laying there.....

I dropped my Shadow Sabre, 580 lbs, once about 5 years ago. It was laying on a wheelchair entrance to a sidewalk. It was so low in relation to me because of the slope, I could not get to it to get any leverage. A motorest stopped and helped me.

Being ran off the road like that and not being able to pick it up, rattled me. I did not care for that.

Dropped my 04 Goldwing the first week I had it, trying to turn around on a street. Went down on the kickstand side. It was in gear, so I shut the engine off. Checked that I was OK, then turned the handlebars like shown in the video. I am a heavy guy, 6'. I have two artificial hips and don't work out.

I got my handholds, and worked my butt down against the seat. Helps on a Goldwing that the crash bars hold it about 40 degree angle.

the secret is to not try so much to lift, but to just push BACK with your butt and legs. Use your hands to steady things and just keep pushing with your legs. GEtting your butt low is good, but just making sure you are pushing rather than lifting is the secret.

This is the first time I used this method, and it worked like a charm. Now I did have some adrenalin going, but I got it up, and was very careful not to go over center. Turning around to get in position to put down the kickstand was the hardest thing for me, but I got it done.

It all happened so quick that a guy that saw me go down didn't have time to fully stop and ask if I needed help. Had it on the kickstand and was getting ready to get back on.

Oh, andyes, there were about 20 skinny people on bicycles that rode by kind of chuckling as I was getting back on. Glad I could help make their day!

Only damage was a little skinned spot on the bottom of my pegs, and had to loosen the one and reposition it. A little bump on my shin from scraping it on the back rest as I got off.

The method works.

I got my handholds, and worked my butt down against the seat. Helps on a Goldwing that the crash bars hold it about 40 degree angle.

the secret is to not try so much to lift, but to just push BACK with your butt and legs. Use your hands to steady things and just keep pushing with your legs. GEtting your butt low is good, but just making sure you are pushing rather than lifting is the secret.

This is the first time I used this method, and it worked like a charm.

The method works.

YES yes yes .... that is it exactly.

However, I like to let all my buddies know its 800+lb and 153lb 5' 7" little ole me did it!!

:pushups: No need to tell them how ..... :innocent:

You've heard that saying "it's not IF you ever drop your bike, it's WHEN".. everyone will drop a bike in their biking career, sooner or later. I'd been biking since 16 yrs old waaaaay back when Centurion was a rank, not a tank.. and I had never ever ever dropped a bike until I got the RSV and I've dropped it so many times now, it's second nature how to pick it up, no kidding. However, when I got the bike 2 years ago, one of the first things I did do was riding it up on the lawn and carefully laid it down and practiced picking it up. I actually often use my own bike to demonstrate how to pick up bikes on the motorcycle safety courses.. Anyone can pick up a 300 lbs 250 cc bike, ;)

As the previous responders stated, lift with your legs, pushing your butt against the bike technique works best.. no matter how tall you are. (kickstand, in gear etc etc as required.)

Thanks for this thread. I always need a refresher time to time. At 5'5" and 175 lbs., it will have to remember this technique just in case it happens to me. Leg power is just amazing.

Best thing is to find out now if you can do it instead of later. Take a friend with you and take the bike out on the firm grass lawn and lay it down, and carefully pick it up.. Then, you'll have the confidence in case you actually do drop the bike..

I have a ghost here and the dam thing knocked over my bike just after I painted and got it all back together and whats bad was I was on the other side of a car when it went over and couldnt get to it fast enough!! Any way I was so mad I grabbed the handle bar and passanger handle and threw it up on its tires and I think with the adrinalin rush I had I felt like I could throw it across the yard I was so mad. I think its all how you pivot yourself with the bike and it is a heavy sucker!!

I am 6'6" tall and can pick my 2007 RSV up, and have on several occasions. it is all technique and getting your butt low enough on the seat to lift with your legs.... I push back more than lift up.... it starts off slow and gets quick soon, so take your time, and make sure you are NOT on an adrenaline high.......

Yup, I'm 6'4" and just picked mine up Friday. Laid it down in some wet, slick as snot gravel/clay in northwest North Dakota. Had no business being where I was, but the story will follow shortly.

For the sake of this thread, I was able to use the "back to the seat, grab handle bars and passanger grab handles, and walk backwards towards the bike" technique. The ground was a little slippery, and I was a little t'd off, but got it up.

I proceeded to get the bonus I was hunting for, road an additional 4 miles of gravel in the rain, got back on pavement, and didn't do anymore gravel that day.

RR

Guest RichG
I am 6'6" tall and can pick my 2007 RSV up, and have on several occasions. it is all technique and getting your butt low enough on the seat to lift with your legs.... I push back more than lift up.... it starts off slow and gets quick soon, so take your time, and make sure you are NOT on an adrenaline high.......

I walked mine up twice Saturday when I was trying to figure out how to do it. I even walked it down twice.

Before I tried the technique, I had backed up to the bike, grabbed the handlebars and seat and tried to lift with my legs. I believe I was pulling on about 350 lbs. with my legs at a a 60 degree angle. It just hurt and the bike didn't move.

The technique isn't about lifting anything; it's about pushing and pivoting the bike up. If you can, in fact, get you legs and but in the proper position, you would not need to use your arms at all until the bike was almost up. Being very tall would be a disadvantage. It's easier to straighten your legs from a 20 degree angle than it is from a 60 degree angle. Just get on a weight machine and push on 300 lbs with your legs from various starting points and you'll see. I can lift 450 lbs with my legs if I start with my legs at less than a 45 degree angle. It's just physics.

I'm 5' 11". If I was 6' 6" I would need to practice and try until I figured it out because not being able to lift it is scary. BUT, with longer legs, the possibility of it going down in the first place is less.

Just my bloated thoughts....I got mine up!!!!! :):dancefool:

Rich