IGNORED

RSV choke

Kirby

I'd like to know how many of you have to choke their bike anytime it cools off? It can be in the 90's outside and I still have to pull the choke for a short period before riding. No problem cranking, it just won't idle without the choke until it's warmed up a little. Suggestions?????

Mine does the same. After it sits for about half an hour I have to give it a little choke.

BOO

Same here!

Scooter Bob...who only misses one thing I about the 99 electra glide, the FI

Couldn't resist Boomer...

Later, Scooter Bob

Man ,I thought that something on the carbs might have been needing a little tweeking.

I would say put a little seafoam in it - but since you are on an 09, that ought not be necessary...

When it is 85+ I actually don't have to choke mine at all. I do give it 15-20 seconds or so before I take off, just to be sure.

EDIT: I think an important tidbit of info here is how often the bike is run. I ride my bike every day. I use it to commute to work and back, I use it to get groceries, I use it for fun. So it is started a minimum of twice a day...

Edited by LilBeaver
Added info about frequency of use

I would say put a little seafoam in it - but since you are on an 09, that ought not be necessary...

When it is 85+ I actually don't have to choke mine at all. I do give it 15-20 seconds or so before I take off, just to be sure.

Yea, I always crank it up, then put on my helmet and hook up my tunes(MP3 player) before trying to pull off, by then I can usually push the choke back in.

Choke mine too ... let her fast idle for a minute or so and then push the choke in to about 1/4 and let it warm up some... leave it that way even after I take off at least until the temp has come up to about 1/2. If I don't, it will want to crap out under low rpm load.

When it is 85+ I actually don't have to choke mine at all..

IF it is warm out side rode in the past day, choke is not needed, if it sat for a few days it will need the choke no matter how warm it is.

Brad

When the bike was band new, I never used the choke unless it was in the 30s or 40s. Now after 29,000 miles I am finding I need to use the choke especially if it has sat for several days no matter what the temp However after the ride to work I can usually start home and not need it.

IF it is warm out side rode in the past day, choke is not needed, if it sat for a few days it will need the choke no matter how warm it is.

Brad

Excellent point. I added frequency of use info to my original post.

Ok, now that we find this is a common issue, does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can correct having to choke even after a short break, say 1-3 hours?? Maybe the carbs need just a little richer idle mixture ????? What about it V7Goose, Freebird , or others that are more familiar with this engine??? Keep in mind that this isn't in cool or cold weather we're talking about.

I think that enriching the carbs just a bit would probably do the job. These bikes are set at the factory to run pretty lean. You could probably back out the air adjustment screws about 1/4 turn and that would do it.

My question though is why would you want to? I don't see the problem with having to give them just a bit of choke when it is needed. It's usually a matter of a bit of choke and them almost immediately pushing it back in.

Once you start tweaking the adjustment screws, it is almost guess work to know if they are set properly unless you have an exhaust gas analyzer. Though I do think that enriching the carbs on these bikes just a tad can have some positive effects, I really don't think it should be done blindly.

I rarely need to use the choke on mine unless temps are way down, but then I have enriched the carbs by moving the pilots up to the next number. It seems to have better low end pick up when accelerating this way. Plugs look great too so I know it's not overly rich. I do sometimes pull it out a bit if it's sat any length of time till I'm ready to roll.

Larry

Once you start tweaking the adjustment screws, it is almost guess work to know if they are set properly unless you have an exhaust gas analyzer. Though I do think that enriching the carbs on these bikes just a tad can have some positive effects, I really don't think it should be done blindly.

Yah but the question is at the factory how are these set in the first place ?? Is each one tested or do they just screw them in and then out on each one. This being the case and if it is not done by a machine I doubt the accuracy of them to begin with ?

Personally I am not fussy on just turning them out without a analyzer, to do it correctly you also have to drill a hole in the pipe before the "Y".

Brad

.....Personally I am not fussy on just turning them out without a analyzer, to do it correctly you also have to drill a hole in the pipe before the "Y".

Brad

Aren't there already threaded holes in the pipes to screw the analyzer sensor into??

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

I think that enriching the carbs just a bit would probably do the job. These bikes are set at the factory to run pretty lean. You could probably back out the air adjustment screws about 1/4 turn and that would do it.

My question though is why would you want to? I don't see the problem with having to give them just a bit of choke when it is needed. It's usually a matter of a bit of choke and them almost immediately pushing it back in.

Lean? I have always been to the belief that they run a little rich? The exhaust seems pretty black for a lean machine.......

I do agree though, I don't see any point in messing with the carbs because you use the choke a little bit. Actually I think my bike would start without the choke most of the time but it just starts easier with it.

BOO