IGNORED

Need opinion RSTD or RSV?

star4772

Here is the deal being in my shoes I guess, I drive truck all 48 and not home as often as I like for the time being anyway. I got a line on a new 08 RSTD blue over black or New 09 RSV. Now there is quit a differance in price of about $5000.00. I want to ride and go with other members once in a while so I am trying to way the cost of the 2 bikes. Ride part time and save 5000 or ride part time and spend the extra money. My thoughts are why waste the extra 5000 to ride part time until I can retire in 3 years and then get a full touring bike,heck who knows by then I might need a trike.

Your thoughts? :mo money:

Star4772

I guess if I knew I was going to get a touring bike in a few years and I had a place to store what I bought. I would go ahead and buy the RSV, that way you would already have it and could start with all the add on stuff. You wouldn't be putting on a lot of miles and would be ready to roll when the time came. Nothing wrong with the TD but I look at having to start over on another bike. :2cents:

I would say it depends on the type of riding you plan on doing and what amenities you want right now. Will you be doing long distance touring? Will you be riding several days in a row often? Do you want to listen to music when riding? How important is it to you to be able to talk to other riders on the CB (if they are so equipped and know how to use it). Will you be doing overnight trips or just day trips? Will you be doing mostly 1up or 2up riding? Both bikes are great rides and both will do the job quite well. In my opinion the RSV is better for longer rides and trips and the RSTD is a great day bike while also being good for occasional longer trips. Also if riding 2up a lot your passenger will probably enjoy the RSV more.

Just my :2cents:

I would say it depends on the type of riding you plan on doing and what amenities you want right now. Will you be doing long distance touring? Will you be riding several days in a row often? Do you want to listen to music when riding? How important is it to you to be able to talk to other riders on the CB (if they are so equipped and know how to use it). Will you be doing overnight trips or just day trips? Will you be doing mostly 1up or 2up riding? Both bikes are great rides and both will do the job quite well. In my opinion the RSV is better for longer rides and trips and the RSTD is a great day bike while also being good for occasional longer trips. Also if riding 2up a lot your passenger will probably enjoy the RSV more.

Just my :2cents:

All good points. I'll just mention that my RSTD just passed 40,000 miles in two years of ownership. It is a fully capable touring bike.

Things I wish it had that the RSV has:

• better range -- I am seriously worrying about gas at 150 miles.
  • the trunk -- it'd be nice to have an easy place to stick my helmet
  • the CB -- it'd be nice to be able to join in the fun when on VR group rides
  • the queen seat -- sometimes. My wife is perfectly happy with the RSTD seat, but when she falls asleep, I'd like her to not fall off. It also makes a great location for an auxiliary fuel tank. It'd be nice to make it 500 miles without stopping.
  • the intercom -- although I've got bluetooth helmets that talk just fine

Things I don't miss about the RSV

• the cassette player
  • the speakers -- my helmet bluetooth's sound is just fine, thank you. I find blaring speakers to be obnoxious, as well.

Things that I prefer about the RSTD

• The removable windshield -- I stay dry all the time, and the windshield gives me loads of protection. Then I can take it off for a different look and feel. But that giant windscreen is also a chief culprit on my poor gas mileage. (That and my lead wrist)
  • The removable backseat and luggage rack -- I usually leave it on, so as to fly the flag. When I solo tour, I use my luggage on the passenger seat for a backrest. When I tour two-up, the luggage goes on the rack and gives plenty of capacity for a long weekend. But sometimes I like to ride sans pax seat.
  • The headlight bucket -- I like the headlight look on the RSTD, and the fairing does nothing for me. Some of my upcoming projects involve wiring up front, and the fairing complicates things. To be fair, I am considering the HID headlight, and the fairing would be a convenient place to hide stuff.
  • The RSTD exhaust -- although, I am running Road Kings now. I will switch to the stock pipes for my upcoming longer trips. Maybe I'll do that today. Hmmmmm.
  • The pillion seat -- my wife likes the seat, with the ample room and freedom of movement. But, she hasn't rode on the RSV seat. Maybe she'd like that?
  • The look -- I prefer the overall cruiser look to the full tourer look. I think it is cleaner.
  • It's faster -- just sayin'. :stirthepot:

The 1300 V4 is a great platform. It works well for both bikes. I simply prefer the look of the RSTD, and don't miss the added features of the RSV.

Good luck in your choice!

All good points. I'll just mention that my RSTD just passed 40,000 miles in two years of ownership. It is a fully capable touring bike.

Things I wish it had that the RSV has:

• better range -- I am seriously worrying about gas at 150 miles.
  • the trunk -- it'd be nice to have an easy place to stick my helmet
  • the CB -- it'd be nice to be able to join in the fun when on VR group rides
  • the queen seat -- sometimes. My wife is perfectly happy with the RSTD seat, but when she falls asleep, I'd like her to not fall off. It also makes a great location for an auxiliary fuel tank. It'd be nice to make it 500 miles without stopping.
  • the intercom -- although I've got bluetooth helmets that talk just fine

Things I don't miss about the RSV

• the cassette player
  • the speakers -- my helmet bluetooth's sound is just fine, thank you. I find blaring speakers to be obnoxious, as well.

Things that I prefer about the RSTD

• The removable windshield -- I stay dry all the time, and the windshield gives me loads of protection. Then I can take it off for a different look and feel. But that giant windscreen is also a chief culprit on my poor gas mileage. (That and my lead wrist)
  • The removable backseat and luggage rack -- I usually leave it on, so as to fly the flag. When I solo tour, I use my luggage on the passenger seat for a backrest. When I tour two-up, the luggage goes on the rack and gives plenty of capacity for a long weekend. But sometimes I like to ride sans pax seat.
  • The headlight bucket -- I like the headlight look on the RSTD, and the fairing does nothing for me. Some of my upcoming projects involve wiring up front, and the fairing complicates things. To be fair, I am considering the HID headlight, and the fairing would be a convenient place to hide stuff.
  • The RSTD exhaust -- although, I am running Road Kings now. I will switch to the stock pipes for my upcoming longer trips. Maybe I'll do that today. Hmmmmm.
  • The pillion seat -- my wife likes the seat, with the ample room and freedom of movement. But, she hasn't rode on the RSV seat. Maybe she'd like that?
  • The look -- I prefer the overall cruiser look to the full tourer look. I think it is cleaner.
  • It's faster -- just sayin'. :stirthepot:

The 1300 V4 is a great platform. It works well for both bikes. I simply prefer the look of the RSTD, and don't miss the added features of the RSV.

Good luck in your choice!

Don't they both have the same gas tank capacity? Might be a difference from bike to bike, but from the RSTD and the Venture, they should be the same. I do think the massive windshield contributes to worse mpg's, will be testing when I put on my Memphis Shades batwing fairing soon.

Don't they both have the same gas tank capacity? Might be a difference from bike to bike, but from the RSTD and the Venture, they should be the same. I do think the massive windshield contributes to worse mpg's, will be testing when I put on my Memphis Shades batwing fairing soon.

I understand that the RSV's tank is bigger... 6.2 vs 5.6 for the RSTD? But the range is undoubtedly reduced by the size of the RSTD's windscreen.

Dave

RSTD 5.3 gal, RSV 6.0 gal

Unless you particularly like the looks of the RSTD (and don't mind a primitive saddle), you will be way better off with the RSV. But there shouldn't be $5,000 difference, even when factoring in the different model year. If I were you I'd look for a used 08 or 09. Whatever you buy, make sure you do a thorough test ride to ensure you are not getting a screamer - this is ESPECIALLY true for a low-mileage used bike, since that may be the primary reason for the sale! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

If you get an RSTD, to be comfortable you will need a new saddle or need to have yours custom re-done, almost no one is happy with it. But then a few people are not happy with the stock RSV saddle either.

If you are riding solo, you don't need the intercom.

I almost never use the CB, would be fine without it.

I love the stereo, but you might not care.

Trunk, once you are spoiled by a trunk it is hard to go without, and I even had hard bags and trunk on my previous sport touring 750.

If I was planing solo only, or very seldom two up, maybe I would have gone with the RSTD instead. But then if I was only riding solo, I would probably ended up with an FJR1300 or ST1300. Mary was not happy with the passenger saddle on either of those.

First off I started with a '98 RSTC. Love the bike, but it was not long before I realized the leather bags were not gonna cut it. After a couple of short trips, the wife did not wanna ride 'cause there were no "hold on" handles and the back rest was too low. Then we went to Vogel and I learned a CB would be nice to have in a group ride.

Long story short I spent a ton of $$$$$s trying of make the RSTC into an almost RSV (Trunk is a MUST have!). If you plan on many 200+ mile trips, the RSV wins hands down!

The good news, at least for now is I have the best of both worlds. The RSTC as a "grocery getter" and the RSV for cruising. BTW I have more $$$$$$s tied up in the RSTC than I do in the RSV, which I got for less then the $5000.00 difference you mentioned between the two bikes you are looking at. Yeah, it is a '99 but I got a CD player AND a cassette player in the deal.:smile5:

RSTD 5.3 gal, RSV 6.0 gal

Unless you particularly like the looks of the RSTD (and don't mind a primitive saddle), you will be way better off with the RSV. But there shouldn't be $5,000 difference, even when factoring in the different model year. If I were you I'd look for a used 08 or 09. Whatever you buy, make sure you do a thorough test ride to ensure you are not getting a screamer - this is ESPECIALLY true for a low-mileage used bike, since that may be the primary reason for the sale! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well goose the RSV is $15,499 and the RSTD is $9,999 thats $5500 difff. Bothe bikes are brand new and full warr. I can always hook up MP3 and always get add on CB and intercom. I like the looks real well so its a toss up I guess.

Joe

Well goose the RSV is $15,499 and the RSTD is $9,999 thats $5500 difff. Bothe bikes are brand new and full warr. I can always hook up MP3 and always get add on CB and intercom. I like the looks real well so its a toss up I guess.

Joe

I like your thinking and 5K goes a long way to offset a fast depreciating asset. If the "whine" bothers you, you've got 5K toward something else. I like the fact that they quit making the RSTD in 2010. They were never a big part of even Yamaha's market so I don't mind having one of a "few". No matter what I'm riding in the future, I'll keep this bike that I'm trying to make into a Retro Bike to match the Speedo. I've got the fishtail slip-ons and putting Wide WSW tires on next.

I mostly ride solo, but the RSTD doubles well. This is a bike that looks like they used to look. Get the RSTD-you won't look back.

:dancefool:

Well goose the RSV is $15,499 and the RSTD is $9,999 thats $5500 difff. Bothe bikes are brand new and full warr.

Part time riding for three years, I would take the RSTD for that price. Sell it or trade it in when you retire. Should be able to get almost all your money back. (export it to Canada and you definetly will)

In three years there may be something more apealing to your riding style, when you retire.

Brad

:thumbsup2:

Part time riding for three years, I would take the RSTD for that price. Sell it or trade it in when you retire. Should be able to get almost all your money back. (export it to Canada and you definetly will)

In three years there may be something more apealing to your riding style, when you retire.

Brad

Heck that was my thoughts also . I could have it paid in 3 years and still get most of my money back I would thing. Maybe by then yamaha will have a 2100 with EFI??

Joe :thumbsup2:

I like your thinking and 5K goes a long way to offset a fast depreciating asset. If the "whine" bothers you, you've got 5K toward something else. I like the fact that they quit making the RSTD in 2010. They were never a big part of even Yamaha's market so I don't mind having one of a "few". No matter what I'm riding in the future, I'll keep this bike that I'm trying to make into a Retro Bike to match the Speedo. I've got the fishtail slip-ons and putting Wide WSW tires on next.

I mostly ride solo, but the RSTD doubles well. This is a bike that looks like they used to look. Get the RSTD-you won't look back.

Right on it looks like maybe the RSTD??

Joe :clap2::clap2:

Exactly what I am doing with mine. Going with the older retro look. I put on white walls, different turn signal covers, the fishtails are a little long but hey it gives it character. Also put on a cheap radio that hooks up my mp3. Most important thing i did, was add a backrest right away. Also added passing lamps, and a receiver hitch for cooler rack. I should be all set for a long trip. Here is a few pics

Joe,

If you still have the 03 RSV hang on to it till you retire, who knows what will be out in 3 years they may have a Venture or Wing to die for.

Just my thoughts,

Gary

Sorry Gary have no ride at this time this is why I am looking to purchase.

Joe

*snip*

(Trunk is a MUST have!). If you plan on many 200+ mile trips, the RSV wins hands down!

*snip*

Why? I rode 550 miles Friday and 340 miles today, and the trunk would have done what for me?

We got caught in a storm today getting home, and my wife stayed mostly dry. Damp shins is all. Not sure how the trunk would have helped more than the big windscreen did?

Honestly, they are both good touring bikes, able to run longer than your butt. I happen to like the looks of the RSTD better, but it came down to economics for me: I got a good deal on a gently used bike. The bike I could afford is the one I got.

Dave

I was always told buyy as big as you can when you can. By the time you retire the venture will be just the way you want it. I drive over the road too, and can't wait to get out and ride my 84 VR. Going to buy another 84 soon.

I was always told buyy as big as you can when you can. By the time you retire the venture will be just the way you want it. I drive over the road too, and can't wait to get out and ride my 84 VR. Going to buy another 84 soon.

Well times are tough so I figure I will get for now what I can afford. With new truck payments and all, if you know what I mean.

Joe