IGNORED

Any LOE or Previous LOE out there?

craigatcsi

On our way back this past w/e from Indianapolis to Omaha NE, we pushed our speed pretty hard. We ran mostly about 80 to 85mph most of the way.

I tucked in behind a Truck or SUV that was going faster than the speed limit and just followed them as far as I could. I stayed at a safe distance of course, but still follwed them lane change by lane change. My thought was that the radar was going to spot them before me. And, my Brother-in-law says that a cop is going to stop a full sized vehicle before stopping a bike.

What do you think?

Secondly, when 3 or 4 bikes are all doing this and you pick them up on radar, I'm not going to stop unless I am specifically singled out by the cop. I told the other bikes that if we get caught that 'the one' would be stopped and the rest of us would wait for him at the next exit. - Which bike do you stop if they are all going the same speed?

craigr

The radar will pick up the larger vehicle more easily. I've got a dual speed read-out. Say you got two vehicles traveling the same direction. If one is doing 70 and the other 80, it'll give me both vehicles.

As far as stopping vehicles...if I see several running at the same speed. I usually always go after the one that doesn't stop. Sorry you'd be S.O.L. The ones that pull over immediately are the ones that usually get a warning, for me anyway.

As far as stopping vehicles...if I see several running at the same speed. I usually always go after the one that doesn't stop. Sorry you'd be S.O.L. The ones that pull over immediately are the ones that usually get a warning, for me anyway.

If you are the bike that doesn't stop, do you get additional charges, like "failure to obey a police officer" or something like that?

Dave

I would never RUN from a LOE, but, if he wasn't behind ME, then I am not the one he is pulling over.

Right?

I mean we are all spread out with many car lengths between us. So, I would think that one couldn't even classify us as a group.

BTW, we seldom if ever ride like this. 95% of the time, we do the speed limit. In this case we were simple covering ground and eating time.

craigr

When riding in a group it is difficult to determine which one the LEO is pulling over for whatever reason. In situations such as this I always play it straight and pull over. For ME I believe this is the right thing to do and I am comfortable with that.

Boomer.....who's been rightfully nailed many times but has never gotten a Ticket cuz he knows courtesy and respect still count for something.

+1 on what JFoster said, I also have dual display. A big +1 on what Boomer said. I'd rather pull over and not need too than keep going and then be charged with driving to elude or fleeing. When I pull someone over, chances are I'm looking for guns, bulk currency and drugs, not someone who didnt use a turn signal making a left. The person I pull over decides in the majority of instances if they aere getting a ticket or not by their attitude. Play it safe......

I've seen several instances where on the interstates here in Texas, the DPS troopers have had two or more vehicles pulled over where they probably clocked the lead car in a "pack" running together and had them all pull over, may not happen a lot but I have seen it, so if you're following or "tailing" a vehicle running well over the limit and think they will probably get them and not you, you may be surprised!!!! Some of the troopers are pretty sharp about how they can do this and not be content to just go after the lead vehicle. When you have 70 mph limits on the interstates and you have several vehicles traveling fairly closely together at 80,85 or higher in some cases on our interstates as some of you know, it's not that hard to pick out who's playing follow the leader. You roll the dice when you do that and don't cry when you get tagged. Have a good attitude about it and you may just get lucky and get that warning as some of them said, a bad or sour attitude is where most traffic stops go south for you in a hurry:headache:. Just mho from a veteran L.E.O.. in Texas.:cop:.

Edited by bigdog1971

sorry for the second post but to comment on the other post about the "lead Bike" being the one that was probably going to get pulled over and maybe not the following bikes, who makes the decision to be that "lead Bike" :sign02:, that may end up getting a ticket, costing him :mo money:, and also being an issue for his insurance, I'm the Road Captain for our group, mostly L.E.O.s and I'm sorry, but if we're going somewhere and you want to run 80 and up for any extended periods, you're going it alone, if we're in a hurry we may run it a little over the limit but I'm not taking a ticket for anyone and put other L.E.O.s in the position of having to waste his time and ours by pulling over a bunch of speeding cops:sign your welcome:. just my 2cts.

Edited by bigdog1971

My brother used to be on the Cincinnati (Ohio) PD. Couple years ago I got pulled over by a state trooper in Ohio about 10 minutes from his house. I was speeding and got a ticket, simple as that. Told my brother about it, he asked if it was a state trooper. I told him yes. He just said the ohio state troopers don't mess around. You get pulled over, you get a ticket, period. Attitude didn't matter to them.

If you are the bike that doesn't stop, do you get additional charges, like "failure to obey a police officer" or something like that?

Dave

No sir, not unless they will not pull over after I've been behind them for awhile with lights and siren. If two vehicles are running together and one stops and the other keeps going, I personally go after the one that doesn't stop. To me they know they're quilty and they would rather let the other guy take to wrap or they have other problems (dwi, dus, etc), which in turn he gets the break.

I don't much like writing active duty military, but I had one that made me run him down and wanted a break. I hated it, but I told him, "guy your never gonna get a break if I have to run you down." As far as MC's go, I give em 10-15 mph over. I look for the sportbikes running 100+ or the ones that have no respect for other MC's or other vehicles.

Edited by jfoster

If they have laser rader, you can be picked up in a pack of 100 bikes. They don't need to be calibrated as conventional radar does daily so using the "Can I see the calibration certificate for the day" wisdom goes out the window. At least thats what I've heard from LEO's who use them. God Bless and ride safe. Mike

I have to agree with two sides here, yes during my career I've known officers who would give their own grandmother a ticket:sign02:, and yes, there are probably some out here that still have that mentality, you get stopped, you get a ticket period, but a good friend of mine who was a DPS sergeant before retiring recently always told me, "I usually don't have my mind made up on giving a violator a ticket until he/she opens their mouth." I drove a lot in an earlier career before entering L.e.and although I did get stopped a few times for being a little over the limit, I never got a ticket because the first things out of my mouth when approached by the officer was, "good morning, day, evening (whatever the time was in that situation) , how are you today officer?", the public would be amazed how far a little courtesy will get you with most officers. Not stating or promising that this is always the case, but try it you may be surprised. :amen:

OK, I have to tell about a time I got pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. I was talking to my wife on my cell phone. OK I admit it. I'm saying goodbye as he walks up and I tell her, "Alright baby, I love you" LEO looks down at me and says "Excuse me but did you just call me baby and say you love me" I start to chuckle and tell him I was talking to my wife on phone and saying goodbye, but with all due respect, your not that cute. He lost it, cracked up told me to get moving. Did'nt even mention the stop sign.

I have to agree with two sides here, yes during my career I've known officers who would give their own grandmother a ticket:sign02:, and yes, there are probably some out here that still have that mentality, you get stopped, you get a ticket period, but a good friend of mine who was a DPS sergeant before retiring recently always told me, "I usually don't have my mind made up on giving a violator a ticket until he/she opens their mouth." I drove a lot in an earlier career before entering L.e.and although I did get stopped a few times for being a little over the limit, I never got a ticket because the first things out of my mouth when approached by the officer was, "good morning, day, evening (whatever the time was in that situation) , how are you today officer?", the public would be amazed how far a little courtesy will get you with most officers. Not stating or promising that this is always the case, but try it you may be surprised. :amen:

Yeah, being a reserve officer, me being off to go to court was not something that made my "day job" boss happy, so I gave lots of warnings. That being said if the conversation from someone I stopped started out; "Don't you know who I am!!!" My boss would just have to be unhappy... :bobby:

I always tell people that when you get stopped, don't start the conversation off with "What the F*** did you stop me for?", it will usually only go downhill from there, I can assure you!!!! and believe me, that hap:mugshot:pens.

Edited by bigdog1971

Why?

Because we wanted to.

We didn't want to get up any earlier for what was already going to be a long day. Which ended up being 12 hrs as it was.

And, I don't ride a bike to be safe.

craigr

just curious - everybody has their own comfort level --

My brother used to be on the Cincinnati (Ohio) PD. Couple years ago I got pulled over by a state trooper in Ohio about 10 minutes from his house. I was speeding and got a ticket, simple as that. Told my brother about it, he asked if it was a state trooper. I told him yes. He just said the ohio state troopers don't mess around. You get pulled over, you get a ticket, period. Attitude didn't matter to them.

I have to argue that statement just slightly. Several years ago I had been hours looking for our son that was on his way back home from Ohio State. His car broke down and the directions didn't take us to him. Anyway, after several hours of frustration we were finally on the road with his car on a roll back. Traffic was fairly heave and we got separated form the truck and when I got a chance I floored it and went around a 50 mph vehicle in a 65 mph zone.

Problem was, no turn signal and speeding. The State Patrol was sitting in the median watching me. "She" pulled me over and I wasn't my usual charming self. I told her in rough verbal language was had transpired that day and she took my license and went back to the patrol car.

Upon returning, her first question was 'were you wearing a seat belt ?' I chuckled and said 'Oh crap, a speeding ticket, lane change ticket and now a seat belt violation. No, I responded, I wasn't wearing a belt. This has been a GREAT day." To which she said ' - I know you weren't, I could see when you passed me, tell what I'm going to do - had you lied to me, I was going to write you for speeding, lane change w/o a signal and the seat belt. Since you've already had enough going on today and you didn't lie, I'll give you the seat belt violation and you can mail it in. No point, no foul.

I thanked her and we left.

I always tell people that when you get stopped, don't start the conversation off with "What the F*** did you stop me for?", it will usually only go downhill from there, I can assure you!!!! and believe me, that hap:mugshot:pens.

I think the reason I don't have any points on my license is just because of the above statement. I've been stopped and ALWAYS in the wrong and the first to admit it.

I got stopped once for speeding and when the trooper got up to the car I asked " where were you hiding ?

That particular time my drivers license had been expired for over a year and I was speeding. He sent me home w/o a ticket - told me to drive slow and careful.

Hmmm, pretty lucky there, we're not big on handing out citations and certainly do not give raises, pats on the backs, etc... for an officer writing a lot of tickets, but our officers would never let you just drive off with an expired license, might let you call a friend to come get you, let a licensed passenger take over the driving with your permission or some other workable solution, but to let you drive off on an expired license, that's a no-no, too much libility out there in the event you drove off down the road, had an accident resulting in injuries or even fatalities and there's any record that you had been stopped prior to that accident and were allowed to continue. That's not speaking for all officers and all agencies as to their policies and actions, that's just the way we do it. I can only speak for myself and our agency's attitude but the old days (years and years ago) are over where an officer might stop someone that had maybe a little too much to drink (but wasn't necessarily intoxicated) and let them drive on home if they "lived only a couple of miles down the road", that just doesn't fly anymore with MADD, the libilities involved and the general attitude of the public now towards drinking and driving. Phew!, sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. :sign your welcome:

Back in my day ... (okay, I'm not really that old), but as I recall ... If there is ever an emergency vehicle behind you on the road with with lights and/or siren, everyone is supposed to pull off to the right side of the road. Of course those who have worked the streets, know full well that the public typically forgets all common sense when they see an emergency vehicle behind them. So, I suggest pulling over, and then hope it's not your turn. Heck, I have even pulled over when I knew that I got tagged before the cop even had the opportunity to light me up.

Secondly ..., When I had previously been asked the question "why didn't you stop the other cars next to me who were traveling at the exact same speed". I sometimes explained that "it is kind of like fishing in a river - you can only catch one fish at a time". I'm not so sure that people I pulled over appreciated that explanation, but they clearly understood the concept.

Be Safe!

Pete.