IGNORED

Any LOE or Previous LOE out there?

craigatcsi

Hmmm, pretty lucky there, we're not big on handing out citations and certainly do not give raises, pats on the backs, etc... for an officer writing a lot of tickets, but our officers would never let you just drive off with an expired license, might let you call a friend to come get you, let a licensed passenger take over the driving with your permission or some other workable solution, but to let you drive off on an expired license, that's a no-no, too much libility out there in the event you drove off down the road, had an accident resulting in injuries or even fatalities and there's any record that you had been stopped prior to that accident and were allowed to continue. That's not speaking for all officers and all agencies as to their policies and actions, that's just the way we do it. I can only speak for myself and our agency's attitude but the old days (years and years ago) are over where an officer might stop someone that had maybe a little too much to drink (but wasn't necessarily intoxicated) and let them drive on home if they "lived only a couple of miles down the road", that just doesn't fly anymore with MADD, the libilities involved and the general attitude of the public now towards drinking and driving. Phew!, sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. :sign your welcome:

Bigdog - you are ABSOLUTELY right. That incident happened 20 years ago, and our conversation was in the cruiser. You may not remember when the leo would say - come back to the cruiser on the passenger side. He checked my record? if that's what they do when they call in my DL # I had no record, wasn't drinking and had nobody to come get me or the car. Another thing, I was only 6 or 7 miles from home. Like I said earlier - First thing I did was admit guilt (fault) and was ready to take my ticket.

Adventure 1943, there's one thing you can count on in these situations, no two officers, no two offenders (traffic stops), no two situations are ever going to be the same, thus everyone is going to have a different experience from their encounter. some good, some bad, but what most citizens do know know or have not ever witnessed is a good, honest, well meaning L.E.O. walking up to an open window to maybe just give a friendly warning to the driver to maybe slow down a little and get shot point blank for whatever reason the person had for doing it, before the officer even had a chance to say a word, I've seen video/training tapes of this exact thing and it's not hard to understand how many officers now days are very cautious and apprehensive as to how they make their contacts on traffic stops now, society has brought a lot of this about and there are some very bad people running up and down the interstates/highways now, the common citizen just doesn't ever know it or have to deal with it, I would like to think that most officers (myself included) do not view most bikers in that light as many of them, like me and my fellow biking officers do ride and always share that mutual joy of being on the road and the fellowship with other bikers, whether they ride tourers, cruisers, crotch rockets or whatever. DAMN, I'm going to finally shut up now:happy65: and put that soapbox back in the garage for a while as I know I got off base here and apologize for that.:amen:I hope you keep your tires on the road and the wind at your back, be safe! Bigdog

Adventure 1943, there's one thing you can count on in these situations, no two officers, no two offenders (traffic stops), no two situations are ever going to be the same, thus everyone is going to have a different experience from their encounter. some good, some bad, but what most citizens do know know or have not ever witnessed is a good, honest, well meaning L.E.O. walking up to an open window to maybe just give a friendly warning to the driver to maybe slow down a little and get shot point blank for whatever reason the person had for doing it, before the officer even had a chance to say a word, I've seen video/training tapes of this exact thing and it's not hard to understand how many officers now days are very cautious and apprehensive as to how they make their contacts on traffic stops now, society has brought a lot of this about and there are some very bad people running up and down the interstates/highways now, the common citizen just doesn't ever know it or have to deal with it, I would like to think that most officers (myself included) do not view most bikers in that light as many of them, like me and my fellow biking officers do ride and always share that mutual joy of being on the road and the fellowship with other bikers, whether they ride tourers, cruisers, crotch rockets or whatever. DAMN, I'm going to finally shut up now:happy65: and put that soapbox back in the garage for a while as I know I got off base here and apologize for that.:amen:I hope you keep your tires on the road and the wind at your back, be safe! Bigdog

+1 on that. Cops have a VERY thankless job. They typically deal with the dregs of humanity on a regular basis, and EVERY traffic stop is, for them, potentially dangerous. Therefore, it seriously behooves the party being stopped to be courteous, respectful and very "open" in everything you do (keep you hands in sight, don't go reaching into pockets (or glove box/console in a cage) without telling the cop what you're doing (my registrations in the.....) Remember, these guys have seen and/or had some jerk pull a piece on them or a buddy while "reaching" for something. They do not need or appreciate an attitude. I've found over the years, if you respect the officer, he/she will usually respect you as well.. Just my 2 cents...:whistling:

Here's a link about just how dangerous a routine traffic stop can be in todays mad world -- http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9FQQ3QG5%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCL1_UNEWS

Larry

It is a thankless job..I use to tell my wife that everyone I deal with is either a bad person or a good person having a bad day. Bigdog your right, the days of letting a DWI/DUI drive home with a warning are over (at least in New York). However, when I stopped one that was not involved in an accident or belligerent I would ask them "what was that noise coming from the trunk". They would look puzzled and we would go check out the trunk. I would then accidentally lock their keys in the trunk (in the tire well). They would have to call home and have the second set of keys brought to them, by that time they're sober to drive.

To get back to the main post. My actions during a car stop are always dictated by the actions and attitude of the occupants of the vehicle stopped. I also would go after the second or third vehicle that failed to pull over and left the others to fend for themselves.

thanks for all the supporting posts guys, I thought I may went a little overboard for a while but your posts makes me feel a lot better, Adventure 1943, thanks for your support and all of the Blue Knights everywhere, we see, ride with and enjoy their company whenever possible, they're quite a few of 'em here in Texas and Armyvet, neat trick with the keys, I've always admired our brother officers who work in the New York area and other large metro cities, ya'll have some difficult jobs and some of the most enjoyable and informative training I received during my career came from one of your own, the well known retired Homicide Lt.? Vernon Geberth of NYPD who left me with a little reminder that I still have in my office today and draws comments from most people who see it hanging on the wall, a little wall plaque that says it all, "Remember, we work for God!". :amen:and:325:.

Carbon One, thanks for that post, bad, bad deal, I will print that up in the morning and post that at our office for our guys to read as a reminder that it can happen just like that at any time, I know from experience what these officers' families, friends and fellow officers have to deal with following these tragedies and it is a very, very sad time for all. thanks.

Wow!

These responses have gone a completely different direction that I expected!

By no means, did my posts intend to express my dissrespect for LEOs! I have a now retired LEO from the Chicago area in the family that I have always and still do look up to. Hell, I've bought doughnuts for the LEOs in line at the local 'Kwiki Mart' in the mornings, just as my way of saying 'thanks'. If my health would have allowed it, I would have been a LEO in a second!.

I honestly didn't know that LEOs took speeding as a personal attack on them. I certainly never intended it that way!! I have always thought of it a a game between LEOs and the public. (Remember, as per my previous post, 95% of the time I do the speed limit). I have NEVER nor NEVER WILL be angry with any type of LEOs for catching me doing something wrong.

As for the answser to my 'who do you stop?' It looks like I was ALL WRONG and that I would have been the one to get stopped then laughed at by my fellow riders. And, I would have graciously accepted my punishment from the LEO. Don't get me wrong, I would have been angry - but with myself, NOT the LEO!

If my question offended any of you LEOs, PLEASE accept my apology. It was nor never will be my intention.

craigr

Craigatcsi, no need to apologize, there was certainly no disrepect that I felt from your post, it was an honest question/observation about a situation that happens a lot out there, we (I) got us off your original question and got off out in left field somewhat and apologize for that. I've been on both sides of the fence and just feel that I may have a pretty good grasp as to why one rider may get stopped/ticketed and the next may not which I think is pretty well reflected in everyone's posts. There's certainly nothing wrong or out of the ordinary thinking to be traveling a little above the limits with other traffic, seeing the cruiser turn around, hit the lights and hope he's not coming after me? That's a normal reaction, I think most of the posts here just state opinions as to what they feel is the best reaction at that time depending on your level of guilt, right? It was a good question and I've enjoyed being able to put my 2cts. in, we're all riders and enjoy a passion for something that many people can not. Ride safe, :Venture:

craigr

No need to apologize. I also took no offence to your postings. I think what most were trying to say is not to run. If one vehicle stops and another doesn't the LEO will think that there is a reason the other vehicle didn't stop and he will assume the you are a bigger fish and go after you.

Also, just food for thought, if a vehicle passes a stopped police car doing 80, 85, 90 mph how fast do you think that police officer will have to go in order to catch you. Where I live driving that fast on a crowded highway is not fun and very dangerous.