All-

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas. I have an 87 Venture and had the Carbs rebuilt. After replacing the fuel filter and checking the gas, we placed the rebuilt carbs in. It started up pretty well, but right away we noticed gas coming through Carb #2 (front left side as your sitting on the bike) and also coming out the top of the carbs in two small orifices. What might be causing this, float perhaps?

Also, the four metal air vents at the top of the carbs, do they attach to a hose or something? When I took the carbs off there was nothing attached and there doesn't appear to be anything out of place to re-attach.

Appreciate your help.

Bill

Guest seuadr
All-

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas. I have an 87 Venture and had the Carbs rebuilt. After replacing the fuel filter and checking the gas, we placed the rebuilt carbs in. It started up pretty well, but right away we noticed gas coming through Carb #2 (front left side as your sitting on the bike) and also coming out the top of the carbs in two small orifices. What might be causing this, float perhaps?

Also, the four metal air vents at the top of the carbs, do they attach to a hose or something? When I took the carbs off there was nothing attached and there doesn't appear to be anything out of place to re-attach.

Appreciate your help.

Bill

i would think a float stuck is definitally possible. i'm not intimately familar with these specific carbs, though so i'm sure someone will chime in with more specific problems.

Fuel rising above the specified level is float valves not closing, or closing late. The valves could be leaking, float misadjusted or float stuck.

The vents do connect to something, but it's been over a week since I was in mine so I've already forgotten. Hopefully somebody that doesn't have CRS will be along to fill you in.

All-

Appreciate your help.

Bill

Sounds like whoever rebuilt the carbs didn't do a very good job and pull the bowl covers off to clean out the crud. You probably have something in the valve seats holding them open. Time to pull them and take them back for a redo..... Hope the rebuilder didn't charge a lot....

the four metel vents on top get four tubes attached that run domn the underside of the fuel tank to around the rear shock. there are metal wire loops under the tank to run them through. fuel drain lines i believe

the four metel vents on top get four tubes attached that run domn the underside of the fuel tank to around the rear shock. there are metal wire loops under the tank to run them through. fuel drain lines i believe

I think the guy that had the bike before removed them, I didn't disconnect anything and don't see anything hanging "un-attached". Do you know what the tube size is? Like to go to the auto store and get new hoses.

What would be the ramifications of no hoses (Besides we gasey carbs if they leak)?

Thanks!

ive wondered about leaving them off myself, as far as size...fuel line is to thick to easily pass through so i used vacume line, not made for gas but i figure they will probably never see any.dont know the size,sorry

Hey Dunkin1, Guess who...

Hey guys, I'm the guy that helped Dunk work on his bike last night. I'm a Vmax guy. Which other than a few changes, have the same motor.

OK so let me help him explain the issues here. The carbs were rebuilt by a guy that knows these carbs better than nearly anyone in the US. He's VERY well known in the Vmax community and owns and runs Morley's Muscle. You couldn't ask for a better guy in all honesty.

So the issue we had is that UPS used the box as a football and broke one of the carbs. They were very well packed but you know how UPS is sometimes. Anyway...

We ended up removing one of his old carbs and swaping out all the new parts from the rebuilt unit to the old body. ALL jets, jet block, gaskets and even the enricher circuit. Our carb worked flawlessly. :dancefool: What I and Dunk believed happened is during the game of football the carb in question got it's float and needle stuck. I'm hoping a puff of air or carb cleaner down the vent tube or specific fuel line will dislodge it and keep us from unracking that carb.

What we REALLY need to know is where are the lines fed to that go to the breathers? I see in the fiche that they are supposed to be there but we're hoping someone with a like motorcycle can look to see where they route the lines. On the vmax they route them to a couple of screws on top of the air box using a special fitting to attach them. I guess we could just get 4 lines and the fittings from a max to do it, but would like to know for sure how it's supposed to be. I know from Vmax's that if they're not connected the bike will buck and run like poo at higher speeds...

Oh and I would like to say that Yamaha had they're head up their you know what when they put the fuel filter where they put it... What a PITA to replace. :soapbox:

Thanks all!

Chris

Pics of broken carb and pics of the rack after reassembly. :thumbsup2:

You can see the 4 large vent tubes in the rack picture. We need to know where the vent lines go to.

Helps a bunch when you have all the facts.... The overflow lines run toward the rear over the heat shield and come out in front of the rear tire. If left off I can see fuel possibily runing down onto the headers and collector. POOF!! Ya gotta love dem UPS drivers. :whistling:

Dirt in needle and seat. Its ease to do. Replace needle & seat can try cleaning them but I would replace them.

Everything in these carbs is BRAND NEW. :thumbsup2:

The fuel issue isn't really our number one issue IMO. (I'm sure Bill would disagree)

These aren't over flow lines. They're the vent lines. You still think they run back in front of the rear wheel? Seems like a long way to go but who am I to argue? lol :Laugh:

Hey Dunk, Jump on your favorite site and order 4 lines or we can get some clear tubing at the hardware store and route them ourselves. Up to you.

Thanks for your help guys!

as the others have said the vent lines do run that far and back... you dont want gas fumes coming out in front of you... kind of like pis*ing in the wind with the wind blowing back in the face.... but anyway I am having carb problems so I undid the tank and everything and just about to the pont where I am tired of messing with them and just have them rebuilt also....

...What I and Dunk believed happened is during the game of football the carb in question got it's float and needle stuck.....

Hi fellow Maxxer :happy34::happy34:

That exactly happened to a Carb Set i sent (by DHL) my Friend two Weeks ago.

But you won't get the stuck Valve loose with only with Fluid.

Take a good sized Hammer, cover the Diaphragm Bowl with a Piece of Cardboard and give it a Whack with the wooden Handle. Don't hit exactly center of the Bowl, the Bowl is awfully thin there and you might just break Hole in it.

I'm sorry, i too can't exactly remember where the Vent Lines on the VR go along, they head towards the back of the Bike, along the Frame und end to left Side where the U-Joint is.

Hi fellow Maxxer :happy34::happy34:

That exactly happened to a Carb Set i sent (by DHL) my Friend two Weeks ago.

But you won't get the stuck Valve loose with only with Fluid.

Take a good sized Hammer, cover the Diaphragm Bowl with a Piece of Cardboard and give it a Whack with the wooden Handle. Don't hit exactly center of the Bowl, the Bowl is awfully thin there and you might just break Hole in it.

I'm sorry, i too can't exactly remember where the Vent Lines on the VR go along, they head towards the back of the Bike, along the Frame und end to left Side where the U-Joint is.

Yeah I beat on it till I was blue in the face... (minds out of the gutters guys)

I am thinking a low pressure burst of air down the individual fuel line and vent line.

Thanks all for your help with the vent lines. :thumbsup:

By the way the Vmax vents come out in front of us under the faux tank but we don't have the negative air to hold he fumes near us. :thumbsup2:

Chris

The Vent Hoses are shown in Chapter 8, Page 33 in the Shop Manual (pdf) which is downloadable here in the 1Gen Tech Section.

but they show only the Connection to the Carbs and that they should be run through a Holder(all four of them), it doesn't show were they should end up.

Hey 4gasem...

The four lines that run from the 90 degree elbows on the tops of the carbs (overflows) run straight back over the heat shield, if it's still on the bike, to a retainer that runs the width of the frame just behind the motor. If you look from the left side with the cover off you will see it. It is nothing more than a heavy wire frame that holds the four overflow lines and the fuel feed line in place. The lines then drop down in front of the inner fender to just below the frame. If they are install correctly you can see the bottoms of the lines and you should be able to tell which line comes from which carb in case you need to do a quick trouble check when the bike starts belching gas. Mine run from left to right, 1,2,3,4.

If you are having overflow problems the lines are your safety net. You don't want gas bleeding onto the hot motor and pipes. Leaving them off would be a safety risk. Even with the lines on an overflowing carb can throw enough fuel onto the ground right in front of the rear wheel to make things interesting. My buddy behind me thought I was showing off as my rear end kept changing directions going away from the light. Pucker factor ........9!

But from what has been said, it does sound like a needle is not seating at all.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

First thing................make sure where the fuel is coming from. Is it actually coming out of one of the overflow tubes or is it leaking out of the cover assy' itself. The gasket for the cover must be seated in the grooves correctly in order to not leak. It is a thin o-ring style doo-dad that is pre-formed to fit.n Easy fix to pull the cover and re-seat the gasket. If it is coming out of an overflow tube then you have a float ot needle and seat issue. Could be debris in the seat or possibly the tang for the float is not completely over the top of the needle itself. All four vent tubes when attached make a hard turn to the rear and go out to the swingarm apex to drain.

Good luck

HPD

OK all, Dunk sent me a message last night. It looks like sitting for a while may have solved the issue. It was MOST DEFINITELY a stuck needle or float. We had the air box off so visually inspecting it was not a problem. Dunk started it last night and let it run with NO issues. The night before it would start pretty much as soon as you turned the key because the pump would try to build pressure and due to the open needle it couldn't so fuel kept flowing. So for right now we're good to go.

He ran the breather lines last night and tonight he's bringing it over to my house to synch the carbs.

I think we may have a runner! Woohoo!

It's a 1987 with 7000 miles on it. Hard to believe someone bought a touring bike and only put 7000 miles on it in 23 years.:yikes:

Thanks you all for your help. :thumbsup:

Chris