IGNORED

How do you use your scooter?

straycatt

If it ain't raining and what I'm going after will fit on the bike, I take the bike. Standard equipment even if I'm riding the one block to my son's house is helmet, Tourmaster jacket, jeans and gloves. On a long trip I wear the Vega boots, but boy they are hot and make my feet sweat. It is only about a mile to the local Wally-World and THAT is where I feel the most threatened (nuts on cell phone telling family "I'm on the way home".). I need to look into Kevlar jeans and some better boots.

I use my bike daily as my primary form of transportation. About the only thing I can't do with it is haul off the trash, for that I use my old pickup. I bought this bike last June and it now has almost 20,000 miles on it. It'll probably have 22,000 by the time I've had it a year. I wear whatever I'm dressed in for the day+ helmet.

Guest seuadr

i try to ride as much as possible, unless it's really windy or nasty out, or if i've gott haul something that is too big for the bike.

as far as gear, i don't get on the bike without a jacket, gloves, boots and a helmet. either jeans or riding pants, depends on the situation. i'd like to say i always wear the pants, but if it is really humid or a short jaunt, typically i just wear jeans.

I wouldn't go skiing in my swimming shorts or swim in my motorcycling boots......

So why would I ride without proper gear?

It only takes one mishap and you could be lying there like a turnip on life support for years and years.....being a burden on your family and friends and with all that time to think "why didn't I take the 5 minutes to dress right?"

The only time, thank God, that some idiot came out of a side street and tried to make me into hamburger was half a block from my driveway!!!! If I hadn't been wearing a helmet I wouldn't be writing this because there were tire marks on the shattered helmet..... I got away with scuffs on the side of my chin and elbow....

Not to be a jerk...

But why does there always have to be someone pointing out the obvious and telling someone else how they should be living their lives? :2cents:

I ride daily to work weather permitting, use it for trips to the store if what I'm buying will fit. I alwys wear a helmet (do not feel right without one) and jeans, jacket depends on the weather. I suppose I should have better riding armor but I don't. When it is cold I wear insulated coveralls, I look hoaky but at least I am reasonably warm. I do not ride if it is colder than 32 degrees F. I hope global warming kicks in pretty quick so that the riding season in Minnesota could be extended for a couple months.:whistling:

Not to be a jerk...

But why does there always have to be someone pointing out the obvious and telling someone else how they should be living their lives? :2cents:

That's an interesting comment. While indeed stating the obvious, nowhere did the statement by az1103 tell anyone how to live their lives. It is really about how he chooses to live his life and leaves everyone to draw their own conclusion about the wisdom of their actions.

As for me, ATGATT is a rule not to be broken on the street. I have a pair of leather chaps that can go over whatever I am wearing at the time in a minute or so. It's the boots that take the most time to put on but since I like walking without pins and screws they get put on every time. A loose mesh jacket works great in any weather and will help prevent having an arm that looks like hamburger to wrap around my lovely lady. Light weight padded leather gauntlets aren't a problem in hot weather and will hopefully keep my hands so they can gently hold my ladies face when I kiss her lovely lips. Wearing a helmet is the law here there so there is no option but then I do like having lips to partake of the previously mentioned pleasure.

ATGATT is all about me which does make me appear very self centred. Oh well, perhaps in my next life I will be less imperfect.

That's an interesting comment. While indeed stating the obvious, nowhere did the statement by az1103 tell anyone how to live their lives. It is really about how he chooses to live his life and leaves everyone to draw their own conclusion about the wisdom of their actions.

As for me, ATGATT is a rule not to be broken on the street. I have a pair of leather chaps that can go over whatever I am wearing at the time in a minute or so. It's the boots that take the most time to put on but since I like walking without pins and screws they get put on every time. A loose mesh jacket works great in any weather and will help prevent having an arm that looks like hamburger to wrap around my lovely lady. Light weight padded leather gauntlets aren't a problem in hot weather and will hopefully keep my hands so they can gently hold my ladies face when I kiss her lovely lips. Wearing a helmet is the law here there so there is no option but then I do like having lips to partake of the previously mentioned pleasure.

ATGATT is all about me which does make me appear very self centred. Oh well, perhaps in my next life I will be less imperfect.

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :fnd_(16):

I ride solely for pleasure and nowadays I'm pretty much a "fair weather" rider. Been there and done all the other over these past 40 years of bikin ... so if it's cold or it's rainin (or both), I can find other things to do... like relaxin on the couch LOL

Having said that, I'll still ride in crappy weather if I have to such as if I'm on a trip and the weather turns bad ... but what else can ya do then .. eh? got a schedule to keep.

I ride strictly for fun, but long ago decided that ATGATT is the only way for me. I've worked the fire department a number of years ago and have been in the healthcare business for several decades. There is simply too much bad stuff that can happen even in a VERY minor incident without protective gear (skin grafts come immediately to mind). Frankly, if it's too hot for the gear, it's too hot to ride (and it's NEVER too hot to ride!).

Also, it's good to remember that statistics point out the one of THE most dangerous times to be on your bike is the FIRST six minutes of a ride (basically while you're "getting in the groove")....just sayin'.....

Ultimately, it's a very personal thing. Some folks never wear any gear, some part of the gear part of the time, and some of us ATGATT. You just need to look at the risks and make your decision...Just please do THINK before you ride! There are a LOT of loonies out there driving the cages.....

Not to be a jerk... http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/3D%20Smiles%20%2880%29.jpg

Since it got you so irritated, you must have been ignoring the obvious! :confused24:

However, as has already been pointed out, at no time did I say a word about what others should do..... And if you wish to use your unprotected head for a battering ram that's fine with me. http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/3D%20Smiles%20%2827%29.jpg

I do hope however that prior to exercising your right to self abuse you will take the trouble to indemnify those around you, and the taxpayer in general, from having to pay for your long-term care by getting long term health insurance.........:mo money:

Good thread, I too am curious what others choose to do.

I don't really give a rip what safety items others choose to use and I certainly don't give a rip if they disapprove of mine.

I ride my bike all the time. I put less than 1,000 miles on my truck last year, and I travel a lot. The only time I won't ride the bike is if there is a chance (or there is) of ice on the roads or if the wind gusts over 50 mph. Other than that, I am on the bike. I just enjoy riding too much to let it sit in the garage for any of my running around.

As for gear, I have a nice and comforatble pair of boots I wear whenever I am on the bike (which means basically all the time), always wear jeans (I don't even own a pair of shorts), 3/4 helmet when on the bike. Up until last summer, I wore a nice leather jacket (gift from a family member) when it was cold, t-shirt if warm enough and a light jacket if 95+ or sunny and on long ride (for sun protection). Last summer I got a great deal on a crash jacket with a liner - so I've been wearing that pretty much all the time now (good from ~20F to 100+). I have ridden a few times without it, and I feel naked without it - so I'm pretty sure that is going to find its way on me 90% of the time, even on short runs.

Everyone ride on, be safe and enjoy yourself!!

A couple of these ATGATT threads got me thinking (oh nooooo).

What do you use your bike for? If you need to run to the corner store for a gallon of milk, and your an ATGATT kind of guy (or girl), do you gear up or do you just not ride a motorcycle?

What's your cut off point on riding, gear up for a 30 minute ride but take the car for a 20 minute jaunt?

The reason that I ask, is that I don't.

Wear all that gear that is. If I'm in the yard washing the dog and she tips over the dog shampoo, and I need to run up town for another bottle....I'm going in what ever I happen to be wearing at the moment and I'm going on a motorcycle.

If I going to the beach, I'm riding there in shorts and taking a towel. I ride everywhere I go, for the most part.

So, what do you do?

This doesn't need to be a big, safety gear debate (probably turn into one though). I'm just curious how you decide whether or not to ride. :biker:

It may not have been said in so many words, but it was implied in a sarcastic kind of way.

Since it got you so irritated, you must have been ignoring the obvious! :confused24:

However, as has already been pointed out, at no time did I say a word about what others should do..... And if you wish to use your unprotected head for a battering ram that's fine with me. http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/3D%20Smiles%20%2827%29.jpg

I do hope however that prior to exercising your right to self abuse you will take the trouble to indemnify those around you, and the taxpayer in general, from having to pay for your long-term care by getting long term health insurance.........:mo money:

This is the type of stuff I'm talking about.