IGNORED

Harley leaving town??

Flyinfool

Not quite Venture related but big motorcycle news.

It has been all over the News here in Milwaukee the home of Harley-Davidson Motorcycles, that they are considering closing all of their plants and leaving 1400+ Wisconsin workers without a job.

In the paper today it said that they went from a record $1+billion profit in 2006 to a $75million loss last year, and this year looks worse.

It may just be the "usual" union breaking tactic of threatening to close the plants and leave town if they do not get major wage concessions and/or tax incentives.

We shall see what happens in the near future.

Guest msegelle

The dealer here in ST.Charles MO is having a brisk year selling the Harleys.

They are under new ownership and have been working with their HOG members to bring in new members and buyers I supose...........:12101:

I thought the workers owned Harley Davidson. Not that it matters, all these large corporations are the same. When times are good they invest in lavish parties and corporate jets and when things go a little south they don't have enough reserve to cover it.:witch_brew: I'm just saying. I feel for the workers that rely on this factory for a living, but I also believe that we/US have no business bailing out any more corporations. Sink or swim. There are always others out there that will fill the gap and probably be more competitive. :2cents:

Maybe this will bring Harley prices down and make things more competative

An Electraglide with ABS here can be had for 24,500. New RSV is around 22k and a new Kaw Voyager the same... Wings are around 28k... I'd say that's pretty competitive.

An Electraglide with ABS here can be had for 24,500. New RSV is around 22k and a new Kaw Voyager the same... Wings are around 28k... I'd say that's pretty competitive.

I guess I'm looking in the wrong places:

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/154211-2/IMG_3916.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

http://www.kawasaki.com/includesmain/getpreview.aspx?maxw=216&img=%7E/CMS/Products/DetailView/5303d0ef-38cb-4e39-a885-f930a9b46f25.jpg MSRP 17,300

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/content/images/600/09ST_RSVen_CRd_S4_c25c72bf.jpg18,200 the "S" model is 500 more. :whistling:

I understand U.S. / Canada. My point was look what you're getting.

Last year I bought my 'S' model for 17,100. The Wing, Comfort/Audio model was 17,700 in Columbia, SC. An as well appointed Harley thousands more than that and those pr_ _ _s wouldn't even talk to me when I was out shopping. I'm sorry, but I have nothing but disdain for Harley. (not the bike, the company in general).

IMO they are in no way competitive.

I understand U.S. / Canada. My point was look what you're getting.

Last year I bought my 'S' model for 17,100. The Wing, Comfort/Audio model was 17,700 in Columbia, SC. An as well appointed Harley thousands more than that and those pr_ _ _s wouldn't even talk to me when I was out shopping. I'm sorry, but I have nothing but disdain for Harley. (not the bike, the company in general).

IMO they are in no way competitive.

Sorry you got treated so badly. Things are a lot different this side of the border, especially when it comes to what a guy pays for these scoots. None of the Harley dealers I've been to are "pr_ _ _s" ... they have all been vey courteous and helpful and all their staff is like that. Their stores here, at least in my experience, are but one of the few retail outlets of any kind that show good customer service. I can't say the same for most of the non-Harley bike dealers....some are close tho.

As for the prices, one of the Yammy shops here is still trying to flog a new 2008 "S" model RSV and they've now dropped it down to an unbelieveable $16,995!!!!

Better JUMP on that one guys... I'm sure it won't last long!! :rotf:

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/BC/Motorcycles_1001_1500cc/4810/74488983/2008_YAMAHA_ROYAL_STAR_VENTURE_S_1300cc.aspx?gok=Motorcycles+1001++1500cc

Most of the places that look at stocks, are still high on Harley. Nobody is selling what they did a couple of years ago, but things are looking up, and Harley has held down inventory and used prices are still highest of any bike. I am hanging onto my stock. But I DO wish I had sold it a couple years ago when it was up near 80! :crying:

In the paper today it said that they went from a record $1+billion profit in 2006 to a $75million loss last year, and this year looks worse.

You'd think +1 billion could cover quite a few years of -75 million. :confused24:

But then again, I haven't been to math class for 25 years.:think:

That's big business fer ya.:buttkick:

Where they thinkin' of going? :icon_smile_question

Will everyone be ridin' foreign bikes in the near future???:whistling:

Later, Scooter Bob

Edited by Scooter Bob

Most of the places that look at stocks, are still high on Harley. Nobody is selling what they did a couple of years ago, but things are looking up, and Harley has held down inventory and used prices are still highest of any bike. I am hanging onto my stock. But I DO wish I had sold it a couple years ago when it was up near 80! :crying:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: Craig:bawling:

I am hanging onto my stock. But I DO wish I had sold it a couple years ago when it was up near 80! :crying:

My regret is that I didn't buy a $1000 of it when they went public in '87. Actually wanted to but had no clue how back then. :doh:

My regret is that I didn't buy a $1000 of it when they went public in '87. Actually wanted to but had no clue how back then. :doh:

My first x-wife bought me 4 shares for about $100 in '89 or '90. I cashed 60 (split that many times) of my 64 shares in 99, about $3,000, for a downpayment on my first NEW bike, 99 flhtci.

Later, Scooter Bob

2010 msrp (Canada) ... $23,899

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/index.php?group=M

I just don't understand why, when our dollar is almost on par and even has been a tad above, that your prices are so different.

I would kill for the Blue on Blue Canadian Venture. Why the H.E. double hockey sticks didn't they make that available in the US. Idiots!!

Guess they figure all Americans want is some color over black.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/gibvel/2010_XVZ1300TF_VPBC5_1.jpg

YUM!!!! :happy34:

Is it just me or do they have the antennas on the wrong side? ;)

Edited by gibvel

I just don't understand why, when our dollar is almost on par and even has been a tad above, that your prices are so different.

I'm not sure if it applies to bikes or just accessories but the local dealer was telling me that Yamaha Canada has to purchase all accessories from Yamaha US....that's the reason for the huge difference in accessory pricing......fact or fiction.....I dunno! (most all of my accessories were ordered from the US)

Keith

My regret is that I didnt buy a 1000 shares when it was down to $8 a few months ago:bang head::bang head::bang head: Craig