47K nobody rode that bike!

I've been taking with an AmsOil gut at work and going to switch the truck next oil change 170K, he said no problem. The only concern would be existing oil leaks. He told me that an existing leak may get worse with the syn since it is actually thinner.

This is not a Hardley so shouldn't have any leaks.

May see real dirty on first change but that is normal as the syn will clean the motor.

I will be doing the bike next fall.

IMO, synthetic should not harm your engine. If your engine is bound to leak oil, it will leak oil. I've heard in this forum that if you put synthetic oil into an old motor, it will cause some oil leaks. I still have to verify this for myself if it is true or not. Not sure if this is one of your concerns.

Personally, dyno oil should be just fine for a 99 and replace on scheduled interval.

Ride Safe.

you should have no problem with your 99.....my experience with my 86 monte carlo and my 75' honda , however, did prove the leak theory as the monte was bone dry underneath until i went to mobil 1, and the honda headgasket area which is prone to seepage, started leaking bad....but these vehicles are what i consider old...

newer vehicles supposedly have better gaskets and i believe that....but...

if you switch and start to show leaks you didn't have before...then switch back...

It is a FALSE idea that synthetic is thinner. When cold yes, it pours easier because it doesn't turn to gunk. But when hot, synthetics are actually thicker (that isn't the 100% correct term) than regular oils because they retain their viscosity better than regular oils. So when the engine is running, and leaks actually happen, a synthetic will leak less. (they don't happen after the engine is off, that is just the left over stuff running down the parts, unless there is a hole below the level of the oil in the pan!)

Also, oil evaporates some with use, and synthetics evaporate less. so there is another way why most cars when switched to synthetics actually use LESS oil than before. So why do so many people claim that leaks get worse or oil use increases? Because when they switch, usually they pay more attention to oil use and leaks than before, and also, they may extend oil drains some, and not take into account the extra miles on overall use.

Anyway, you can switch back and forth on new/old engines as much as you want. You can mix regular and synthetic if you want. (that is what "blended" oils are anyway). But to get the most of the additive package you pay for with a synthetic, keep it all one brand.

Stay away from "racing" oils like that purple stuff because they are usually not designed for highway driven cars. They are optimized for the least friction in race engines.

Mobil 1, Amsoil, Valvoline, etc all the name brands have good synthetics now, but (disclaimer, I am a dealer) I believe Amsoil, the original synthetic, is still the best.

From what I've read the problem with oil leaks when changing to synthetics is not because it is synthetics.. While detergents are designed to clean the inside of the engine, they also have a tendency to stick to themselves. So any potential leaks in old gaskets can be masked when you have used the same type oil for a long time as there will be build up that will plug gaps.

Most people use the same brand of oil all the time. When you switch oils, synthetic or not, you get a different mix of detergents. The new mix of detergents will often clean out the buildup from a different brand. If it was masking potential leaks, you now find them.

I personally switch brands of oil for 0ne oil change occasionally, whether I'm using synthetic or not, to avoid build up.

• 3 months later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Switching to synthetics on an older engine, when the older seals and gaskets werent compatible with the synthetic molecules, can certainly cause oil seepage thru and around those old gaskets and seals.

I ran out of Amsoil and put some Rotella T6, 5w-40 in the Venture this weekend and it seems to have quieted the clutch whine a bit. Not a lot, but a small noticeable amount.

Shifting and clutch action still seems the same, so far.

Will report in later if anything changes.

I have ran Drag Specalties Synthetic in my 05 Road Star for 37,000 miles with no problems. I will trade it off on tuesday for a new 09 Tour Deluxe. I sure hope that the new one does as good on trips as the old Road Star as I will be Retired on the last day of Sept. and plan on doing some touring!!! I know two others who changed to Mobil 1 when they had higher milage bikes with no problems.

Guest tx2sturgis
I have ran Drag Specalties Synthetic in my 05 Road Star for 37,000 miles with no problems. I will trade it off on tuesday for a new 09 Tour Deluxe.

Hey congrats to you !

Dont forget 3 things:

You gotta post pics of it.

You gotta rev it.

You gotta pay Don $12 measly bucks to stay around a while. Its worth it!

Welcome to the group.

:happy34:

Well I plan on taking a trip thru northern Georgia in October, So I will have to find a good place for a picture so I can replace my avatar that is posted now from the top of Pikes Peak, Co. Thanks for the welcome, I see that folkes here are just as friendly as on the Road Star Site.

Guest tx2sturgis
Thanks for the welcome, I see that folkes here are just as friendly as on the Road Star Site.

I'm really not that friendly, you just havent pissed me off yet!!

:cool10:

Guest scarylarry
What did ya except? He's from Texas ya know. :stirthepot:

Welcome to the site Alkirer. You'll find yourself right at home here with some of these misfits. :whistling:

Larry

Texas? Is that a state????:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis
Texas? Is that a state????:whistling:

I've heard about those schools in Tennessee...

:whistling:

Edited by tx2sturgis

When I was riding my 84 Aspencade I switched to syn. Ran quieter and just fine with no oil leaks at about 120 k.

Switched my 01 RSV to yamalube 15 50 about two weeks ago with 83,000 k and runnning just fine; gear noise somewhat quieter as well.

Great stuff.

Hopefully you should have no problems.

Just 4 days now from a trip from central Manitoba :big-grin-emoticon:out to Vancouver Island off the coast of British Columbia for about 12 days.

Hopefully the weather will change for the better: hotter, sunnier and no more bloody rain.

Jinx