I've been switching up oil every change.

Yamalube Synthetic is very good.

Spectro Synthetic isn't very good. Shifting has suffered and now is clunky.

I have Mobil One ready to go. I was going to wait until I got a few more miles on the Spectro but I might go ahead and dump that stuff and change it out.

Condor,

Jack I have 51,000+miles on my Midnight just switched from Rotella T 15w40 to Rotella syn. 5W40 will be giving it a good test this coming weekend at the Hub Rally in AR. and it seems to have quieten down my clutch whine some as well. normally i could hear the whine over my Bub muffler yeah loud but now its not that bad..

Condor,

Jack I have 51,000+miles on my Midnight just switched from Rotella T 15w40 to Rotella syn. 5W40 will be giving it a good test this coming weekend at the Hub Rally in AR. and it seems to have quieten down my clutch whine some as well. normally i could hear the whine over my Bub muffler yeah loud but now its not that bad..

Let me know how it works out Buddy.. I still haven't changed the oil on the '99, but after all this input I feel a more positive about synthetic. Now I just have to figure out whether it's Rotella T6 syn, or Mobile 1MC.... Plus the cheapest place to invest my bucks... :) :mo money:

Guest tx2sturgis

I bought the T6 Rotella 5w-40 at WalMart...$19 for a gallon AND its JASO MA rated....meaning its good to go for wet clutches.

As I stated earlier, I noticed it made my clutch whine a bit less noisy...that seems like a good thing to me. Or maybe its just the Dark Blue Bottle made my hearing worse. Who knows.

:680:

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70883

Edited by tx2sturgis

I bought the T6 Rotella 5w-40 at WalMart...$19 AND its JASO MA rated....meaning its good to go for wet clutches.

As I stated earlier, I noticed it made my clutch whine a bit less noisy...that seems like a good thing to me. Or maybe its just the Dark Blue Bottle made my hearing worse. Who knows.

:680:

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70883

I think I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to whine. I do get it, but it's not much different from what I had on the '83. 1st and 2nd gears sounded like a mild turbo building boost and by the time I hit third it was gone. Same thing on the '99. That I can live with. However... When I first bought the '83 it had a lot of internal engine noise. The first oil change I used Valvoline 20-50 MC Wet Clutch, and could not believe how much quieter the engine ran. Hard to believe that just an oil change would be that effective. Kinda hoping I'll get the same results with the '99, as it a little rattley too... BTW the VIN number on the '99 is #00089.

I bought the T6 Rotella 5w-40 at WalMart...$19 for a gallon AND its JASO MA rated....meaning its good to go for wet clutches.

Condor,

I've tried almost every synthetic recommended....didn't like any of them. Went to Castrol 10w40 .... it was ok. Then I tried the Rotella T6 (which I hadn't tried yet) ... gawd... noisier engine, louder whine .... but it did shift smoother. Dumped that and went to the "white jug" Rotella 15w40 (which I'd ran before) .... engine is quiet again and the clutch whine is back to tolerable. Even Nina noticed the difference.

No more synthetic for me.

Guest tx2sturgis
I've tried almost every synthetic recommended....didn't like any of them. Went to Castrol 10w40 .... it was ok. Then I tried the Rotella T6 (which I hadn't tried yet) ... gawd... noisier engine, louder whine .... but it did shift smoother. Dumped that and went to the "white jug" Rotella 15w40 (which I'd ran before) .... engine is quiet again and the clutch whine is back to tolerable. Even Nina noticed the difference.

No more synthetic for me.

I should say that I noticed the whine is now less noisy compared TO Amsoil 10w40 synthetic. So it seems less noisy than another synthetic. I may have to try going back to the dino juice for a few thousand miles and see if I notice a difference.

I wonder if the noise within the bearings and gears is the same, but maybe the different brands of oil conduct the noise differently? Hmmm...thats a whole nother field of science.

Just changed out today to the Mobile 1 20W50 synth on the '99 RSV with 57K. Actually this was the second change with that oil from the Yamalube semi-synth, and there was no noticeable difference in performance. I get the Mobile 1 for about $9.50 a quart. I like it so I'll stick with it.