IGNORED

Riding in the Moutains or Prairies

Canuck

Just wondering how eveyone else decides which is the best. I,ve noticed when I,m in the mountains, especially two up or pulling a trailer and cruising on curvy mountain roads the scenery goes by and all I see is the road in front. Really have to stop or pull over some where safe to have a look around. When I,m driving all I see is the road in front, miss all the good stuff. On the prairies things seem to slow down and if there is some thing interesting you get a chance to decide if it,s interesting and pull over. Now I know the air is fresher and cleaner in the moutains but it just seems that I stop more to look around when on an open road than in the hills. Funny thing is I have met more people pulled over on:think: the open road than in the hills, both in Canada and the US.

well since theres not a lot of open prarie roads where i live and Hilss within a days ride round trip my decision is easy. But I do understand what you mean, when Im in the hgilss so to speak I tend to watch the road more and pull over less. Now my wifes head looks like its on a swivel. Sometimes thats scare me as she riding her own bike in front of me.

David

Mountains for me...no contest at all. I LOVE the mountains.

+ agree

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Montana%201%202009/P8031608.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Montana%201%202009/P8051654.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Montana%201%202009/P8061683.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Montana%201%202009/P8061742_stitch.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Montana%201%202009/P8081812.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Montana%201%202009/P8081858.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Montana%201%202009/P8081893.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Montana%203%202009/100_1015.jpg

Guest scarylarry

Ok this is me, but 20 miles of coast line is better then 200 miles of mountains, I grew up in Tenn. rode our hills all my life been out west once and like one person said Tenn. mountains are cute...

But I still rather do a coast run, I'm glad you post this here I have a choice to make trip to Vegas and hoover dam or Ocean City Md.

I'm leaning on the O.C. Md. heavy

Don,t get me wrong guys, I really like travelling in the mountains also. It just seems the more interesting things have happened on the open road, like meeting a rancher in northern Montana, while taking a break on the side of the road and talking about everything from cows to bentonite and found out the bentonite is dug up on his land and sent to Canada so we can use it in drilling mud to drill wells up here. Travelling east of Missoula, Montana and pulling over at what looked like an abandoned store and looking inside to see drinking glasses sitting on the bar like someone just walked away and wondering what happened. Those little things seem to make the trip.

Brian, I have tried to make it to Nelson, but every time I try to go work seems to get in the way. I hate saying I,m going to come and cancel at the last minute. I will try again this year, but it may have to be a last minute thing. When the Boss and I do go it,s always last minute and kind of a unorganized thing.

Brian, I have tried to make it to Nelson, but every time I try to go work seems to get in the way. I hate saying I,m going to come and cancel at the last minute. I will try again this year, but it may have to be a last minute thing. When the Boss and I do go it,s always last minute and kind of a unorganized thing.

hey theres nothing wrong with last minute stuff:banana::banana:... Some of my best holidays were the last minute kind.....we would be happy to have you in with the fun even if its only for a part of the weekend.

Brian

---Mabbe we could have a coffee when I go thru the Hat on June 29th on the way to the Koots..

1) Coastline

2) Mountains/hills (despite having to focus much on the road and not so much on the scenery)

3) Rolling hills

4) I guess, by default, prairies and flatlands have to come here even though they would otherwise be further down the list.

I don't mind a straight, flat road every once and a while but I think they get old pretty quick.

Prairies are boring!

The prairies arent boring... the highways here are.... :rotfl: Actually I love the wide open spaces and skies and seeing the grain fields around me, but the roads need a lot more curves out here...

But you cant beat the exhilaration and sights when youre trying to beat a prairie thunderstorm across the flats with all the lightning and funnel clouds.........

But I also love the scenery and wildlife in the Mountains, but I do find that I cant soak in as much of the scenery when I am enjoying the twisties...

Brian

The prairies arent boring... the highways here are.... :rotfl: Actually I love the wide open spaces and skies and seeing the grain fields around me, but the roads need a lot more curves out here...

But you cant beat the exhilaration and sights when youre trying to beat a prairie thunderstorm across the flats with all the lightning and funnel clouds.........

But I also love the scenery and wildlife in the Mountains, but I do find that I cant soak in as much of the scenery when I am enjoying the twisties...

Brian

Hard to argue with a prairie boy....

Here's a tip for enjoying the scenery in the mountains....SLOW DOWN ... LOL

Thing is, out my way the scenery changes at each corner (of which there are many) .... out your way, the scenery is pretty much the same no matter where you are or how long of a ride you're on... (flat or slightly rolling fields of wheat, etc) :rasberry: :witch_brew:

Nope... I'll take the mountains any day.

Mountain scenary is wonderful. Riding the mountains is fun with the twisties and all. I would agree though, that it requires alot of attention to the road riding in those areas and much is missed.

Nice rolling hills and big sweepers are great. And just to confuse everyone a little more about me......the great expanse of the prairies is something to behold.

But the road does get long when you can see your destination first thing in the morning and not get there until the evening! lol

... Colorado. I ride them as often as I can at the age of 71. Still, though, at times I scoot 14 east out of Ft Collins and enjoy those flat lands for a few miles, stop, light up the pipe with aromatic pipe tobacco (none of that green stuff) ... and just kick back on the center stand and enjoy the silence and long, long views. Little traffic. And on a still day I can often hear children play at a farm about 3+ miles away.

Still, though, ... ZIPP back to the Rockies.

Of course, all of us enjoy riding where ever we are, right? All stay up and safe!

Jack Tharp

Ft Collins

:cool10::whistling:

How can you say the prairies are boring,,,,,its just the roads the need twisties... Look at this and tell me you wouldnt be a bit excitable riding into this...:stirthepot: This was shot about an hours ride south of Regina SK.

http://www.vridetv.com/sdlightning.html

Brian

I don't know what you'r complaining about brian? You have both Corner Gas AND the on ramp to highway #1!:stickpoke:

I will head west to the playground!

No doubt the mountains have the wow factor, but living in Illinois, the wife and I have discovered a whole new beauty to corn country! First, the scenery changes with the seasons. Winter, white, bare trees, long view, serene. Spring, color changes are wild, smooth carpets of corn and wheat and other crops start coming up, farmers in the field (WATCH out for them on the roads!) We ride the country roads, 40 mph and just look out across the fields and rolling hills. Yes, we have rolling hills in Illinois Corn country, we also have some curves! Just head for the areas where there are trees. No trees = plowed fields and straight roads, trees = creeks and rivers and small valleys and some curves and hills.

On to summer, the carpet of crops grow and your sight lines shorten trees and plants in full bloom. Fall, those colorful trees, but all of a sudden over a few weeks your sight lines get LONG again! Crops gone, (watch for those tractors again) but it is a whole new world.

We just try to find the beauty wherever we ride, but country roads in Illinois can be slow and fun, and relaxing. Also can't fall too far if you mess up! :)