IGNORED

Avoiding the mushroom head

biggnikkk

Hello all,

I am looking for recommendations on a half helmet. Is there one that is narrow (to avoid the mushroom - darth helmet look) but is still DOT approved. I understand that there are carbon fiber helmets too. Are the fiber ones closer to the head? The photos online always show an auxiliary view and the vendors never provide dimensions.

I have looked at the Vega XTS, HCI-100-134 and the ACC. Does anyone have a recommendation? I also understand that safety supersedes style, but I have a half helmet currently that is very heavy and is more of the mushroom style.

Thanks in advance!

Nick P

I have the Vega XTS. I find it very comfortable and lightweight. The vents in the forehead are totally worthless, can't tell if they are open or closed in the summer. I don't consider it too wide, but that is kind of a subjective opinion. I would certainly recommend the helmet for those looking for a shorty.

Dave

Hello all,

I am looking for recommendations on a half helmet. Is there one that is narrow (to avoid the mushroom - darth helmet look) but is still DOT approved. I understand that there are carbon fiber helmets too. Are the fiber ones closer to the head? The photos online always show an auxiliary view and the vendors never provide dimensions.

I have looked at the Vega XTS, HCI-100-134 and the ACC. Does anyone have a recommendation? I also understand that safety supersedes style, but I have a half helmet currently that is very heavy and is more of the mushroom style.

Thanks in advance!

Nick P

Nick,

If safety supercedes style, go with a full face helmet. I'm just sayin'.

On the bright side, you will no longer have the mushroom look.:smile5:

RR

This is what I've got, the Scorpion exo100. It's pretty comfortable and has a removable liner for hot weather, removable sun visor, and drop down smoke face shield. My 11 year old wears one too when he goes with me, (He says it looks cool) for what it's worth.:thumbsup2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370350169332&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D8590413495759237199

I have the Vega XTS. I find it very comfortable and lightweight. The vents in the forehead are totally worthless, can't tell if they are open or closed in the summer. I don't consider it too wide, but that is kind of a subjective opinion. I would certainly recommend the helmet for those looking for a shorty.

Dave

Dave, does this Vega XTS sit down on your ears? I been thinking about getting one but a friend let me try his on and it pushes my ears down. Maybe I need to get my ears lowered? LOL

Dave

Would you happen to know the dimensions of the Vega XTS ear-to-ear & front-to-back? I know that the HCI is 8.5 X 10.5. The Outlaw that I have is 9.0 X 11.5. Pretty significant difference.

Thanks!

Nick P

Dave, does this Vega XTS sit down on your ears? I been thinking about getting one but a friend let me try his on and it pushes my ears down. Maybe I need to get my ears lowered? LOL

Mine does not sit down on my ears, it's close but I can still bet my sunglasses on without any trouble. Perhaps your friends helmet was too big for you :confused24:

or you havean odd shaped head. :think:

Dave

I contacted Vega and the dimensions are 8.75x11.00. Almost the same as my Outlaw. Looks like an ACC for me.

Boy you sure are particular about the shape and look of a shorty helmet! Have you tried any of them on to see if they are actually comfortable? Would hate to see you spend your hard earned money on a lid based soley on its looks for it to be so heavy or uncomfortable, you couldn't stand to wear it for more than 10 minutes.

I'm just saying, it's as much about comfort as anything.

Dave

Boy you sure are particular about the shape and look of a shorty helmet! Have you tried any of them on to see if they are actually comfortable? Would hate to see you spend your hard earned money on a lid based soley on its looks for it to be so heavy or uncomfortable, you couldn't stand to wear it for more than 10 minutes.

I'm just saying, it's as much about comfort as anything.

Dave

I am looking for recommendations because the shops by me all carry the same products. As I said the one I have is heavy and because it is so large it feels huge on my head though it fits me well. I am thinking that one closer to the head would be more comfortable and not as heavy - like the carbon fiber model. Thanks for all the replies.

If you want to go try on several different styles - from cheap to good - take a ride down to the Iron Pony (www.ironpony.com) in Columbus . They are on Westerville Rd just inside the loop on the NE side. They carry every helmet know to man along with just about everything else.

It appears to be about 2 hours from you. A nice Saturday morning ride.

RR

• 2 weeks later...

The best half helmet i've found is the HCI retro 50...Its light and very comfortable. The only issue i have with it is the chin strap is very short compared to most helmets. If money wasn't an option i would try the davida which isn't dot approved.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wear a full face flip up and can tell you if you go down hard and look at all the scrapes and damage to your helmet, the part that is lower than your forehead hair line, or lower than your eyebrows takes one hell of a beating most of the time. Only wearing a half helmet is going to protect you from a top head blow. If you take a side blow or do a header into the ground you will loose a good part of your face layers. Ouch! Flip up work well and when its hot and you stop you just flip them up to get air until you move. Leaving your face shield open will feed you plenty of air supply on a hot day if needed. Not all flip ups are real expensive. Fulmer makes a good one under a hundred bucks and their are others under two hundred. Look up the stats on quietness ratings. Some are a lot quieter than others if you like to listen to music.

I wear a full face flip up and can tell you if you go down hard and look at all the scrapes and damage to your helmet, the part that is lower than your forehead hair line, or lower than your eyebrows takes one hell of a beating most of the time. Only wearing a half helmet is going to protect you from a top head blow. If you take a side blow or do a header into the ground you will loose a good part of your face layers. Ouch! Flip up work well and when its hot and you stop you just flip them up to get air until you move. Leaving your face shield open will feed you plenty of air supply on a hot day if needed. Not all flip ups are real expensive. Fulmer makes a good one under a hundred bucks and their are others under two hundred. Look up the stats on quietness ratings. Some are a lot quieter than others if you like to listen to music.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I was going to be nice and not say anything. 1/2 helmet you just don't like yourself.

Don't want this to turn into a "I'm tellin you to do something" against your wishes, cause I'm not.... but, In April of this year I hit a deer and did a unconscious face plant/slide for 45 ft? with a HJC full face helmet. After 4 hours in the emergency room the surgeon said that I didn't know how lucky I was to have been wearing a armor mesh jacket and a FULL FACE HELMET. Said that I would probably be talking to a plastic surgeon about facial reconstruction ...

I really like the air flow as I get hot easily, but have yet to find a helmet maker that makes something that looks like a professional NFL footbaLL HELMET That is DOT approved.

If they did, I'd buy it today!

Doesn't it seem that most of the fellows having wrecks are wearing full face helmets. I wonder if the weight of the Helmet causes them to land on their face? Sometimes, during the winter, I wear my full face because of the weather. I hate it. Most of the time I wear my little beanie and a hooded sweatshirt under my leather. Its not DOT, but it keeps the cops off of my back.