IGNORED

Worried about oil leak - New '07

I am really worried about a leak on my new Venture. I have used the dealership for 15 plus years and do trust them but this problem really concerns me.

I picked up the bike in August and on the first few miles I noticed some coolant behind the left rear cylinder. The dealership said that they re-torqued the head bolts and it should be all good.

I then noticed some oil in the same spot and it seemed to continue. I basically have oil all over the side stand and drips all over the garage floor. I have never needed to add oil as the level is right at the top of the sight glass.

The mechanic feels that there must be something wrong with a gasket as it is not seating properly and because of the slow nature of the leak he said it was OK to ride and he would pull the motor apart over the winter when it wasn't cutting into my riding season. He most recently told me that he talked to a rep at a convention and was told that Yamaha used a new environmentally friendly process for bolt retention instead of something like loc-tite that they had always used and that might be contributing to the problem.

My fears include: that the bike will always leak (given this "new" technique") plus I have oil all over the underneath of my bike.

I have also heard that over filling the oil could cause blow by. Since my oil level is way up at the top of the sight glass, could the leak be that blow by? Just wondering...

Any other thoughts? I am not well versed in the mechanics of the motor and thought some of you might have some insight.

sorry for the long post - if you have any more questions I can ask my mechanic...

Here are 3 pictures of the left rear cylinder and from underneath. You can see where the oil settles (I have not cleaned the bike for a week so that the pics would be obvious)..

http://www.fototime.com/554B44BC04B821F/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/287EB48769D72E4/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/D9E90F19B12FC8C/standard.jpg

thanks for the quick reply - I have been mulling that around too. The same dealership did the oil change but probably not the head mechanic...

Is this what the "blow by" would look like? Half way up the sight glass is good then? I am surprised the dealership didn't check that - it's not like it's the first Venture they have worked on.....

Andrew; Overfilling can cause problems but it doesn't look to me as though this is the case here. When the engine is overfilled with oil it has a tendancy to blow by into the air cleaner housing. The oil that is overflowed would be coming out of one of those tubes in the group that hangs down under the bike. Your oil that is dripping underneath the bike appears to be ahead of the overflow tubes. I've never seen oil appear on top of the crankcase housing where it is shown in the second picture. I think that there is a leak and needs to be fixed.

Good luck;

Rod.

good stuff, thanks. I took a couple more pics after someone on the delphi forums asked me to take the fins off. I will change the oil and fill it less (Iread somewhere that 3 quarts will take it to the half way mark). You can't really see the seepage on the cylinders in the pics but there is definitely some at the bottom of the cylinder around what appears to be the edge of a gasket.

http://www.fototime.com/DA59E06A064A4D2/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/BA879DBB9455CD8/standard.jpg

For the oil leak, it sounds to me like a gasket under one of the cam covers may be out of place. They would have had those covers off when they torqued the head bolts. When I did my cam swap I did the same thing. A cam cover gasket slipped out of place and didn't seal, and it created a major oil leak down the side of the engine. The spot couldn't be seen with everything assembled. I had to take it all back apart again to see what had happened. It is a little tricky to keep that gasket in place when putting things back together.

Andrew, My 99 sweats some oil from time to time. I just pulled those air boxes from under the tank (the ones on top of the carbs) and cleaned them out. But like others have said, use only 3.5 ots of oil, not the 3.9 the manual recommends. I remember reading somewhere that because of the steep lean of bike while on the kickstand, the oil will tend to accumulate in that air box on the left rear and leak some, especially when idling. Since I went to 3.5 ots it hasnt leaked. Maybe thats your problem, or maybe its a real leak. If it is a real leak then that bike is under warranty and it needs to be fixed for free.

Guest KitCarson
Here is my advice:

(Some of the VR members have already heard this from me before) :rasberry:

But it does work well when trying to detect oil leaks...and it is very safe..

See atached:

Hey Eck.......I love to learn new things.....what is dry deodorant.........I have several styles......one is in stick form and a little sticky, another is in a can and is wet.........do I use super dry or extended dry.......hey I am not making fun of you........but I am messing around a bit:rotf::rotf: Really......what exactly is dry deodorant.......I learned years ago to use Lemon Pledge to shine my bikes and clean the chrome.....so always like to learn. Kit

Hey Eck.......I love to learn new things.....what is dry deodorant Really......what exactly is dry deodorant.......I

Yuo can purchase any type of spray "DRY" deoderant and it really doesnt matter if it is extra dry or not.

You spray it on the "suspect area" or area's where you think th eleak is coming from. It dries into a powder form with in seconds after spraying it on.

The spry type works best because it provides excellent coverage over the "SUSPECT AREA". (in other words, never use "stick" dry deoderant)

Once it turns to a powder form, you can start your engine and even ride (or drive), the vehicle.

IF you have an oil (or water) leak, the powder will change color and you will be able to determine (see) "exactly" where the oil "BEGINS" to seep out..

You will know immediately and exactly where the leak (or leaks) are.

Once you know where the leak is, you can take a water hose and wash off the dry deoderant, and it does not cause any damage to paint, plastic, rubber, or chrome.

I was taught this little trick back in 1974, in Columbus Ohio, when I attended the National Institute of Automotive Service Excellency School ... (NIASE)..which after graduating from , I was a state certified auto mechanic.

It works....and as others hear have commented...

It makes your engine smell good too..:rasberry:

Guest KitCarson

Hey Eck.......I love to learn new things.....what is dry deodorant Really......what exactly is dry deodorant.......I

Yuo can purchase any type of spray "DRY" deoderant and it really doesnt matter if it is extra dry or not.

You spray it on the "suspect area" or area's where you think th eleak is coming from. It dries into a powder form with in seconds after spraying it on.

The spry type works best because it provides excellent coverage over the "SUSPECT AREA". (in other words, never use "stick" dry deoderant)

Once it turns to a powder form, you can start your engine and even ride (or drive), the vehicle.

IF you have an oil (or water) leak, the powder will change color and you will be able to determine (see) "exactly" where the oil "BEGINS" to seep out..

You will know immediately and exactly where the leak (or leaks) are.

Once you know where the leak is, you can take a water hose and wash off the dry deoderant, and it does not cause any damage to paint, plastic, rubber, or chrome.

I was taught this little trick back in 1974, in Columbus Ohio, when I attended the National Institute of Automotive Service Excellency School ... (NIASE)..which after graduating from , I was a state certified auto mechanic.

It works....and as others hear have commented...

It makes your engine smell good too..:rasberry:

Thanks, that is a neat trick.....and once explained, would be a great help under some situations.......will file it in my tool bag. Kit

• 5 months later...

I have a 07 Venture. I started my bike several times over the winter. Noticed a small amount of oil had dripped on the garage floor. I took it for a ride and when I stopped, over 1 litre of oil come pouring out from the engine, Not sure where it come from, I know it did come from highter up in the motor. I am waiting to get it over to the dealership to have it looked at. I just found out from a friend about this problem so I thought I would check here. Any buddy have any troubles after getting this fixed? I hope Yamaha is covering this on their warranty, other wise their is going to be trouble, P.S. did I mention I only have 2100 km on my bike.

I thought I posted a follow up... Must be my Alzheimer's kicking in....

I got the repair done late last year and then put the bike away for the winter (drove it 50 km after the repair) I didn't notice any leaks at that time.

It's still pretty cold here but went for a short rip with no oil leaks. I need to run it longer to make sure but I think it's good to go...

I believe they changed the head gasket and re-tourqed the head bolts as per a service bulletin from Yamaha.

I have a 07 Venture. I started my bike several times over the winter. Noticed a small amount of oil had dripped on the garage floor. I took it for a ride and when I stopped, over 1 litre of oil come pouring out from the engine, Not sure where it come from, I know it did come from highter up in the motor. I am waiting to get it over to the dealership to have it looked at. I just found out from a friend about this problem so I thought I would check here. Any buddy have any troubles after getting this fixed? I hope Yamaha is covering this on their warranty, other wise their is going to be trouble, P.S. did I mention I only have 2100 km on my bike.

Where's your oil level sitting. These bikes HATE being filled over about half way up the site glass. They kick it out into the surge tanks and over the carbs, specifically on the left side of the bike.

I have an "06" that I recently changed the plugs on and noticed the left side air box had alot of oily residue inside as well as around the carbs. I also had oil hitting where you are from your second photo. I had been putting a little to much oil in when I changed the oil. The oil would work it was down from the air box on to the cylinder head and drip down from there. I was freaked out about it, but these guys from this forum let me know what the problem was. They were spot on correct.

Guest kozman01

Twenty7Delta,

How did your recall repair go?? Everything put back together properly, far as you know?? My problem child 07' is having that done as we speak.

• 4 weeks later...

guess the "touch wood" thing didn't work, after getting 500 km or so on so far it's leaking from the top of the head now!!!!!!! Valve cover gasket.....

Bike's back at the dealership. Silver lining is that I won't miss the riding as it is supposed to snow again tomorrow - forecaster said "heavy snow".....

Guest kozman01

Funny, well, not really, that this has happened to someone else. I had my 07 in for the head gasket TSB and when I got it back, the frickin' valve gasket was leaking (front, left side as sitting on bike). Took it back to the dealer, I like these guys and they looked at it. The tech, who, to me, spoke like he knew what the hell he was talking about and even said to me, "Your going to think I'm full of sh*t", but that area under the valvecover has some type of vallys that will hold oil when it's opened up and in a day or so of riding, that oil will work its way out. I posted it on the forums and most gave the opinion that the tech WAS full of sh*t, but, as it turned out, after a couple days of riding, no more leaking. Go figure. Where is your leak coming from?

Can you let us know what your tech says and let him know what my tech said. I like to get these guys contradicting themselves:)