IGNORED

final drive gets hot

Just wondered if anyone has found their final drive getting hot?

Put my hand on the diff housing, (where the oil is), after 100 ks

today & could only just keep it on there. Didn't hold thermometer

to it but it was hot enough to concern me. Never felt it before so

don't know if this is normal?:think:

Wheel rim is warm.

Oil level is good.

Brake disc is cool.

Thanks guys

Tony.

Sometimes we just try to check and analyze to much. LOL I have never felt of the pod after riding but I would presume it would be rather warm, just because of how it works and the gears it has inside.

Maybe someone else has more information but sounds like it's just fine to me.

BOO

put your hand on it,if you can count,-1001-1002-1003-1004-ouch=its about 130 deg.

It would unnormal if you can't touch it all and burn the Hair of Hand before your Hand meets the Casing. In other Words like glowing hot ....

Doesn't sound like there's something on your Bike to worry about.

I would at least Drain the Oil, into a Clean container, then Filter the old oil, see if you find any abnormal metal flakes !!

ReFill to top of Filler Plug.

Good Question. I would do the same thing, it this has not been done for a long time. If I am not mistaken, replace gear oil at least every 16,000 miles according to the manual. (Personally, my gear oil has been changed at 600 miles, 4000 miles, and then at 11500 miles.) It won't hurt to replace it with the right type of gear oil.

Regards.

Be sure to wipe off the magnet in the tip of the drain plug.

Every time I change the engine oil, I change the final drive gear oil.

there is not a lot in there and in three years I have just used up the quart of lube,

I also replaced the aluminum crush washers on the drain and fill bolts with Nylon sealing washers.

I also put a pea sized ball of Honda Moly60 in with the final drive gear oil as I have yet to find 100% synthetic gear oil with Molybdenum Disulphide in less than a 30 LB pail.

Never pet a burning dog.. why touch hot metal.. ride at night, if it glows, then you have issues..

It shouldn't be more than warm to the touch... Funny enough though cuz I just changed mine out the other day.. rode the long and hard, got it into the garage and drained the rear diff.. the housing was stone cold..

mind you it was only 35'F when I was out riding ;) but even the oil was cold..

Thanks guys for all the replies

The gear oil in there was changed 13k, ks ago. The container is

in the shed somewhere, & should be the right stuff (from yamaha

shop). I will change it again now.

Thanks again for the advice, I am a lot more confident that It's

ok after the comments.

cheers

T

Never pet a burning dog.. why touch hot metal.. ride at night, if it glows, then you have issues..

It shouldn't be more than warm to the touch... Funny enough though cuz I just changed mine out the other day.. rode the long and hard, got it into the garage and drained the rear diff.. the housing was stone cold..

mind you it was only 35'F when I was out riding ;) but even the oil was cold..

You were probably riding too slow!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Guest tx2sturgis

Its normal for them to get warm, in fact, the normal gear oil rating is something like 230 degrees, before breakdown....and that is why there is a vent at the top of the housing.

Reaching under there and feeling it after a long ride, it will be quite warm to hot.

If you have gear oil in there and you dont feel a 'grinding' sensation, your good.

BTW...for anyone changing gear oil in the rear drive, I need to stress that you should get the replacement 'crush washers' from your local Yamaha Dealer. If you dont replace them everytime, you will start to see residue from where the oil seeps out of the drain plug and gets dirty. If you see this, you probably havent been replacing the crush washers.

Just FYI.

If you want to check the temperature of everything purchase an infrared temperature gun. Then you can check exhaust, radiator, engine or whatever else you want. Write down the readings then later if there is a vast difference you might spot a problem before something breaks.

Mike