IGNORED

Helmets, helmets and more helmets

ronhenry4

Ok i was reading a thread the other day about showing your helmet and most of the one's i saw on the thread were involved in a accident. now i know the object is to not fall over on your scooter but it happens so i went on a search for a new helmet and i wanted to get some input. i really like this one http://www.hjchelmets.com/images/products/product_images/is33/solid/wine_side2.jpgsince i got a little older and need to wear glasses this seems like a good choise and i like the integrated sun shield. any thoughts and comments are always welcome. Thanks Ron

I have a full face Bell and I love it. I never wore one before but now that I'm older and more wiser I do. I don't like the open face ones cause if you go down and hit face frist that sheild isn't going to give your jaw much protection. I also wear glasses and I just take them off put the helmet on and then put my glasses back on. My sheild is tinted also. I have seen the sheilds that tint like your glasses do.

My wife have a full face also and it has red LED lights on the back that flash.

Guest human4m

I have bought quite a few helmets from en eBay store. Prices can't be beat, but make sure you use his sizing chart!

http://shop.ebay.com/123gohelmets/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

They're not HJC, or Shoei, but I trust 'em to save my noggin! He has some great colors, the wine red is awesome. Even has pilot-style motorcycle helmets...

Tried one on at the local parts shop and thought they were neet. I don't wear glasses so I can't be much help there.

Big Mike

i tried one on today before i came to work and liked it and i also like the flow through vent system

I wore a Fulmer 3/4 for a long time. I recently replaced it with a Scorpion EXO 900 modular. It fits well and I have no problem wearing my glasses. Size of Fulmer was a small but size of the EXO is a medium. I decided my mug is too pretty to mess up in a scooter crash!! :missingtooth:

Edited by Owen

I've got a full face modular, a 3/4 open face with the face shield, and 1/2 helmet (puddin bowl). I like the 3/4 with the face shield for protection, view, etc. My main problem with the larger helmets is noise. I wish they made one that wasn't full of wind noise and echoed engine/exhaust noise.

Guest seuadr

depending on what you are looking for, the motorcycle superstore has a sale on a couple brands of helmets. i just picked up a HJC FS-15 full face for 109 dollars, regularally 289. even new enough had them for 150. looks like they are out of the 3/4ths helmets on sale, though. Tons of halfs and Fulls though.

I've got a full face modular, a 3/4 open face with the face shield, and 1/2 helmet (puddin bowl). I like the 3/4 with the face shield for protection, view, etc. My main problem with the larger helmets is noise. I wish they made one that wasn't full of wind noise and echoed engine/exhaust noise.

Exactly the same comments, although I understand the full face helmet is the safest. With my open face/face shield helmet, the shield can be easily removed or changed, so I plan on getting a few additional shields, including a tinted one which I will carry with me.

I have two helmets, an Arai Quantum II fullface and a Hawk flip-up. The Arai is a very good helmet but I prefer the Hawk which is definitley not as good a quality but the Arai was $600 and the Hawk was $110. The flip-up and the sunvisor make the difference for me. The fit of a medium size seems very similar for both helmets.

I wore a Fulmer 3/4 for a long time. I recently replaced it with a Scorpion EXO 900 modular. It fits well and I have no problem wearing my glasses. Size of Fulmer was a small but size of the EXO is a medium. I decided my mug is too pretty to mess up in a scooter crash!! :missingtooth:

How dark is the sunshade on the Scorpion? The review implies the Scorpion is not dark enough. Except for looking directly into the sun I find the Hawk sunvisor to be dark enough for most needs. I wonder if it is the only one that is?

RonHenry I purchased a HJC IS-33 this past fall and am pleased so far.

Try one on before ordering on line as this helmet is a bit snugger than the other HJC line of helmets. The RED piping may cause a little discomfort on the forehead which can be corrected by simply tapping the raised ridge with a hammer to slightly take the raise out of the piping.

The ear pieces on my glasses were snug at first but as the interior padding conforms to my head shape it is no longer a problem.

The drop down sun visor is great...enough said on that.

Ventilation is good and the helmet is not as noisy as others I use.

And lastly read and watch the video...

http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products/ProductDetails.cfm/Search/Results/ProductID/477622

Regards Dave

After my crash I bought a fullface moduler with the flip down sun shield. I need the flip down shield because my right eye doesn't ajdust to light conditions, so I have to flip the shield up and down from sun to shade.

It has some wind noise, but I have no choise.

The helmet make is CKX modular.

Ride safe Bob

We switched from HJC to Nolan full face modular flip up and are very happy!! They seem a lot more comfortable to me. Either helmet was just as much a pain to wear glasses with as far as putting the helmet on and then putting the glases on, but not that much of a problem. I guess it is part personal preference and part head sahape...

How dark is the sunshade on the Scorpion? The review implies the Scorpion is not dark enough. Except for looking directly into the sun I find the Hawk sunvisor to be dark enough for most needs. I wonder if it is the only one that is?

The sun shield is a bit light. I would prefer it darker. I still wear sun glasses most of the time but it does provide some shading.

I have two helmets, an Arai Quantum II fullface and a Hawk flip-up. The Arai is a very good helmet but I prefer the Hawk which is definitley not as good a quality but the Arai was $600 and the Hawk was $110. The flip-up and the sunvisor make the difference for me. The fit of a medium size seems very similar for both helmets.

thats what i wear now the scorpion half helmet its... ok just dont feel the protection is enough

I've got an Arai Corsair (full face) and a Nolan Modular. Love 'em both. The Modular gets the nod when I'm riding with the wife (intercom), but I definitely like the feel of the Arai better. The sun shield on the Nolan's is pretty neat and the latching system is top notch. Also, I like the buckle on the strap of the Nolan, it's a LOT handier than the traditional double D rings....

WHATEVER you do, CHECK the size carefully....In my experience no two makes (or even models) "fit" exactly the same, so a guy who wears an "M" in one will often wear an "L" in another....If at all possible, try one on before ya order it!

Take a look at the HJC IS-MAX. I wear glasses and it works well with them. It is a FF with a flip up chin bar and has a built in sun shade. I really like it, but it is a bit noisy. I got it from New Enough. I've had it almost a year and best I remember, at that time, it was in the $160.00 price range. I also have a CL-33, but don't wear it much as it does not have the ventilation the IS-Max has, IMHO.

I picked up a Nolan N-something (42, I think) on sale at the local CycleGear. It was a $210 helmet on sale for 80 bucks because it hadn't sold. I love it! It is a 3/4 with w flip down face shield and separate sun shield. What I love about it is that it takes about a minute to remove or replace the face shield, I only use that when the weather is way cold or raining,

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/images/helmets/n422.jpg

We switched from HJC to Nolan full face modular flip up and are very happy!! ...

Dittos on the Noloan modular. We love ours. We had tried both Fulmer and HJC before trying the Nolan. I wear glasses and never have to take them off to put the helmet on.

That's important for me as I can't see them when they're off and I'm too dumb to remember where a put them down. :doh:

Also we are using J&M hookup made special for the Ncom and that is really nice. I must have adjusted or remounted the headseats on our other helmest 5 dozen times as they kept coming off. It does'nt help that my wife likes to dismount while still connected to the audio.

Price is the only drawback to using the Nolan and setting it up with the ncom headset, but to me it's worth it.

I just bought a XXL flip front Nolan NCOM103 and a Large NCOM103 with J&M Elite 584 headsets in it..I had to scrape out some of the foam in the chinbar for the mic to fit in to be more comfortable..My heads too big and still dont feel good so going back to my HJC 3/4 and will buy Elite 584s for them. Now I have a XXL Nolan and L Nolan flip front Modulars both with J&M Elite 584 headsets in them for sale cheap..The XXL wore one time and the L never worn..will be going in the classifieds soon. I dont like them but alot of folks do.