IGNORED

Dual Sport Bikes

bendtdj

Greetings all,

My soon to be 16 year old son has gottin bit by the bike bug. He wants to save for a dual purpose bike. Didn't we call them enduros back when? Any way, I thought I would seek the advice of the brain trust here and ask what is a good model for a starter bike? I like his thinking that he could learn in the pasture before hitting the streets.

Thanks

Dave

I bought a Suzuki DR200 last summer. It would be a good choice. Its a 2006. I bought it off Craigs List for $2300 with 2,000 miles on it in near-new condition.

It's good on the gravel roads and dirt trails, as well as being able to run on the 55mph local highways if needed for short distances. I've seen several of these around the area ridden by teenagers.

http://randyrick.us/motorcycles/Suzuki/2009_0724Dr200inMud0004sm.JPG

it would be easier to answer the question properly, if we know the size of the young man?

i have taught many a student with the tried and true yamaha xt225

the one that i have at the moment is nothing different from a new one that is still produced today, other than the color.

you want a bike thats not too short and not too tall, along with good clearances to go off into the pasture, yet hold a respectable speed on the highway.

If your son has long legs

This 2009 Kawasaki Klr 650 is the Ultimate I feel, I travelled from Sudbury to Michigan and back When thru Mudhole and surviverd, Get over 60 mpg CDN IMP Cruise 75 allday I love It Mine has the full touring package:thumbsup2:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan is about 5" 10" or so and weighs around 150 lbs. I think his inseam is about 34 to 36 inches if tis help as to size.

Would it be easier for him to learn on a 200 or so cc bike? The only motorized two wheeler he has ridden is a 49cc scooter. He handled that quite well. He had been driving that to school before he got a car. Yes, in South Dakota kids can drive at 14 with a learners permit and a restricted license at 15. The restricted license is only good to 10:00 P.M. unless with a licensed driver at least 18. Dad's Law is of course more strict! Only parents or big brother (22).

Thanks for the help

Dave

A 200-250cc class machine will be easier to learn and more forgiving of mistakes.

A 350cc and up machine will have a heavier chassis and better top end if you think he would tire of a machine with a 65mph top end too quickly to make it worthwhile.

My 200cc Suzuki does everything I want it to do, handles ok on dirt and gravel, and can get me home quickly on the asphalt if needed. I wouldn't want to get over 100 miles from home on it (although when I was a teenager I rode a 90cc Honda 125 miles back and forth to school several times a year).

There's an online travellog of a guy who rode a Yamaha TW200 from the mid west all the way to Alaska and back carrying camping and fishing gear.

I would vote for one of the 200's. The 600/650's are just too much machine for a kid starting out. Also, be sure and check if there is a CC limit related to young riders (there was in Illinois when I got started-125 cc or under for those under 18 yrs.). Hate to see the boy get a bike and then not be able to ride it legally.

Remember guys, just a "few" years ago the "Big" Japanese bikes were 350cc, and the BIG britbikes were 650's, and THEY were the bikes for the "experts".

A Suzuki DR200 or Yamaha XT225 or TW200 can be had cheap and are great starter bikes. Take care of it and sell for the same money when time to trade up. DR 350,400 are great bikes for starters and can be lowered easy. The Kaw 650 and Suzuki 650 are good but a bit much for a starter bike. Have him take the MFS class. Good luck Rod

man those bikes in the back ground bring back memories...all good too!!!

Very nice

it would be easier to answer the question properly, if we know the size of the young man?

i have taught many a student with the tried and true yamaha xt225

the one that i have at the moment is nothing different from a new one that is still produced today, other than the color.

you want a bike thats not too short and not too tall, along with good clearances to go off into the pasture, yet hold a respectable speed on the highway.

From a kid's perspective, damn near any bike is cool. The Enduros (Dual Sports) are not true "DUAL SPORTS". They are like the game Grand Theft Auto. They're fun. But they do many things decently, but none very well..

In my eyes, I'd rather start him off with a 600cc street bike like the shadow or vulcan or something. If he wants to go to the trails, get him a 125 or 250cc dirt bike. But, from the 2 or 3 I've experienced, Dualsports lacked majorly to me. They sucked on the road, because they were just a little bit or torque in the midrange, they are a lot of gear shifting... And on the trail, they weren't any fun. They were too heavy to jump, and not a real off-road bike..

Get him a cheap little 500-600cc street bike, and put some exhaust on it. He'll have more fun with that.

:mo money:just my $.02. You guys can keep the change:mo money:

man those bikes in the back ground bring back memories...all good too!!!

Very nice

this might be a better picture of some of my bikes, nothing of great value, but we have alot of fun!

as for the remarks about the dual sports not doing anything well?? bring out the best you can find, and the old fat man will show ya how it's done!! i do have a few different choices.:witch_brew::cool10:

cleaning out the garage 2007.jpg

1972 yamaha  at1 125.jpg

1972 suzuki ts 50.jpg

1978 yamaha gt80.jpg

Personally I think the new Kawasaki 250 dual sport is about the best one out there. Better on and off road suspension and better engine than the Suzuki or Yamaha 200s, and less racy of an engine than the new Yamaha 250.

those xt500's and tt 500's are not that hard to find don, they were hard for the younger kids to start, so they were left to the adults to sit in the corner of the garage. i love the old stainless fuel tank, thats the only part of the old thumper that i have...the tank

Yea, they could be a pain to start, especially after getting hot. They WOULD kick you back and it sprained my ankle more than once but it sure was fun to ride. I've about half way looked for another one off and on but have no luck finding one in decent condition at a decent price. Heck...I don't need one anyway. I'm pretty sure that I would just hurt myself on it at this point in life.

Don,

thats why i purchased the xt600e the "e" is for electric start, and kickin is for those that want to kick, i want to ride!

the xt 225 and the at1 125 are both electric start also, and the smaller bikes are so easy to start that the kids can start them with 1 kick.

mike

Mine is a DR650. It is one of the most fun bikes I have ever owned. Feels like a toy after the Venture. It will handle curves like a sport bike and with a top speed of 90 will pass that slow cruiser that you catch up with ease. Does not pull wheelies easily so it is very controllable.

Edited by midnightventure
picture

Hey Don, if you're ever in the neighborhood and wanna re-live your youth a bit, I still have my 77 IT400 out in the shed, the boy won't let me get rid of it............

Of course tht pic with him was taken a few years ago, he's now big nuff to start and ride it himself, he did that last fall when I wasn't around....

That would be fun. I don't blame him for not letting you sell it. :)

Here is one that I would like to have. First of all though, I don't need to buy another bike and even if I did, this one is in California.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-yamaha-xt-500-enduro-great-condition_W0QQitemZ110499941102QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item19ba4f4aee

Here is a 600e not far from me but though I would love the electric start, I really like the old single jug better I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-XT-600-XT600E-Great-Commuter-Bike-60-MPG_W0QQitemZ130370238933QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item1e5aabf9d5

very good looking xt600e single cylinder air cooled yamaha thumper your looking at there don.:whistling:

don't be fooled by the twin header pipe, it has two exhaust valves.

Edited by eusa1

I wasn't sure if the 600 was a single or a twin. I noticed that it had dual pipes coming out of the head. I'm not really LOOKING at it though. :) Just playing around...day dreaming or something. I'm STILL partial to that '79. :) IF somebody will start it for me.