IGNORED

Clutch Whine-Sand in a mousehole!!

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

Hi All:

I wish to tell you the whole story and then I am going to shut up, this is my last post on the clutch whine on the Venture. I have done all that is humanly possible, and I really do think I have the answer. I know what is causing this and it is not the clutch. However to solve it would be very expensive, and without information on gear tolerance, it may very well not be a solution we as laymen can do, with normal tools and knowledge.

First for my dealer(what a joke they are!!) They are the typical dealer, nice boy salt will melt in their mouth when selling, want service, well, er........we will get back with you. Part of this is my own fault, I knew I wanted a Venture, I read all about it for six months. Thing is it was in motorcycle books, and on internet trial postings. I knew about the windshield, but there was not a word about this clutch whine business on any of them, or most likely I would not have purchased one. I like I say am partly to blame, as I purchased the bike, sight unseen, brand new from a dealer in South Carolina. We went up and my wife dropped me off and I took it home. I almost turned it around the first day half way home, then my common sense took over.......twas too late.........no faith in any dealer, always justified.....so on home we went, screaming the whole way!! Two days after bringing it home I called the dealer, the original person whom I dealt with was not there, left a message for him to call me, he never did. Next day I wrote them an email, explaining this situation and asking for advice and help, they never replied. Fellows there will not be a third time, I really do not like dealers at all and this just put the final nail in the coffin. Hey just yesterday we got the propaganda letter from the dealer, you know the one that says , Hey Kit Thanks for your purchase, we are sure you will enjoy many years with your new motorcycle!! They had my name wrong, and the letter was not signed. They will never turn a bolt on my bike, ever , this has been my dealership experience with most local dealers. I am told there is a good one in Sumter.......personally I am not going to go find out!!

Before I finish I wish to say somewhere along the line , I have fell in love with this awesome machine. It is a great one, has a lot of good points, in fact many more than the bad, so I will keep it, and if anyone wants to listen to me, I will help them fix it........if not , I will leave them on their own and hope for better luck in five , years. Yes I will buy another one........I do like the bike.

I have changed oil in this thing so much I may wear out the drain plug!! I am now running 20w50 with 10percent Lucas oil additive. This does really , really help, at high end of gearing, and at high speed. There is no noise at interstate speeds. We have also changed the clutch assembly and the clutch basket. We looked at all this stuff real close, one of us is plumber, the other is a mechanic, and both are full of sh......! But we could not see what we were going to accomplish. So we did run the engine without the assembly installed and yep.......the harmonics of the gear box travels through the gears to the main drive shaft and seems to resonate to the aluminum basket housing, hit the cover and magnify. Somehow I do not know exactly how the new assembly does move the sound to a lower rpm level. Could be the weight of the assembly, that is something we did not think to check on. The whine sound folks is not the clutch, it is a harmonic resonance from the gears, traveling out to the clutch cover and being magnified. If you want to study this on your own, look up textile machinery, hearing loss and some other things. Cut gears, high performance cars, gear mesh etc. I am also aware that to a small extent, the sound is held in by this high windshield and fairing which slightly compounds the situation also.

So running non-warranty oil and a different clutch assembly, in 4th gear at 60 mph the sound is gone now.......70 mph in fifth gear, want to putter along at 55 in fifth.........will not take long to get annoying.

So I have just ordered a set of Road House Pipes. I will mask the whine!! No I will not use earplugs, I want to hear the wheels sliding as the car behind me tries to run over me, so I can drop the clutch and get hit by the car coming across the intersection-maybe it will be clear!!.

The only way I can see to fix the whine is to build a new transmission, close the gear tolerance and polish them up, blueprint it if you will.

Nope not going to go to all that trouble. I kinda like loud pipes anyway.

Now I will shut up.........this is my final solution. Kit

Hi All:

I wish to tell you the whole story and then I am going to shut up, this is my last post on the clutch whine on the Venture.

Thank gawd!! I was having trouble keeping track of all your posts!

:sign just kidding::sign20:

just ribbin ya Kit... truthfully, you should write a book coz it would be one I'd probably not be able to put down until I finished.

One thing about you plumbers, you think everything is always connected(until the water pours out somewhere lol). Anyways, I need further explanation. If I understand it correctly, you took out the clutch, basket and all, then covered the opening to prevent oil from ending up where it shouldn't and then fired up the bike and ran it up to 2000 rpm, and still had the whine present. Now, being as I'm just a 'butcher' I may not understand all things, but this does disengage the transmission, does it not? so if the whine is still present it would not be the tranny? but something in the engine or between the engine and clutch?

One thing about you plumbers, you think everything is always connected(until the water pours out somewhere lol). Anyways, I need further explanation. If I understand it correctly, you took out the clutch, basket and all, then covered the opening to prevent oil from ending up where it shouldn't and then fired up the bike and ran it up to 2000 rpm, and still had the whine present. Now, being as I'm just a 'butcher' I may not understand all things, but this does disengage the transmission, does it not? so if the whine is still present it would not be the tranny? but something in the engine or between the engine and clutch?

If you take the complete Clutch Assembly, including the Basket out, there is nothing left between Engine and Clutch. The End of the Crankshaft is a straight cutted Gear in which the the outer Gear of the Clutch Basket meshes.

This would, as you described, end in a complete Disengagement of the Transmission.

Kit

We need to get together because I am not sure what whine or chirp everyone is talking about. Right now I am running 10/40 Mobil1 Motorcyle specific.

Also, where did you get the Roadhouse mufflers ordered from?

What type are they?

All the ones I am trying to order from are back ordered until October 30.

:mo money:

Guest KitCarson
Kit

We need to get together because I am not sure what whine or chirp everyone is talking about. Right now I am running 10/40 Mobil1 Motorcyle specific.

Also, where did you get the Roadhouse mufflers ordered from?

What type are they?

All the ones I am trying to order from are back ordered until October 30.

:mo money:

Hi George: Well maybe you are blessed with a quiet bike.......if you had it you would know it, it is pretty distinct, there is no missing it. I was ready to give it all up.....figured I had done all I could do, but Don and another member told me a couple things.........they all make sense.......seems I have solved the gear whine. or almost totally reduced it, but the chirp sound........I have to agree with them.........is the clutch basket, has improper tolerance in it........so I am going to try again. Will take me two or three weeks........I actually have to go to work this week and go do something to support my habit!!

The road house pipes are on order with Dennis Kirk. They did not say out of stock.......did it online.......they were like 351 dollars, and plus tax and shipping 370 something.....I ordered the classic style, just like on the bike. I did not order the fishtail or sharkback ones.........did not check that..ones I ordered were the classic style...........and now even when they arrive they will sit, till the basket problem is gone..........I have a new determination now. I was close to solving it......got disgusted........now I am smarter about the situation.....knowledge is a great thing......it will cheer you up. Hey you are not that far from me.....one evening or maybe this coming Saturday morning........I can meet you somewhere like Walmart on 378 or whereever......you can take Cricket for a ride and see what we are talking about.......I wish you could have heard it when it first started........it was tough........it is still there in the lower rpm........especially in 3,4.5 gears when you are just piddling along........not pushing it.

My phone is 803-240-8529 and the chirp will still be there this weekend. going to invest some time to find a proper clutch assembly this time.......hate to do things twice...... Kit

Take Care Kit.

Guest KitCarson
If you take the complete Clutch Assembly, including the Basket out, there is nothing left between Engine and Clutch. The End of the Crankshaft is a straight cutted Gear in which the the outer Gear of the Clutch Basket meshes.

This would, as you described, end in a complete Disengagement of the Transmission.

Sometimes I think people can read my mind.....I assume they know what I am thinking.........no you need the actual back part of the basket in.......so the bearing supports the shaft the big nut you have to remove.......have to have an inpact wrench.........but the whole other assembly can be left out.....engine run..........there is not much oil in there anyway untill you start to run it........and if you did not run it in gear.......it most likely would not push the main gear up........not if you did not run it hard. But we did have the back case with the bearing on. Not torqued......only snug. The back of the basket is just that.......a case with a bearing and drive for the pump........and I am not a mechanic...as you have said I am a plumber, and it does not have water in it:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:I do not think you can diss-assemble the transmission from the side.........I think you would have to remove the engine and unbolt the top from the bottom.........and split the case.........before you can have all those gears roll all over the work bench. I am not sure about that...I will have to ask........and hey if something falls out, it can be put back in......if it can get out.......it can get back in.........work on a some of these new Kholer faucets and you will find........if you have parts left over.........shhhhhhhhh.........hide them.......do not tell anyone.....they have too many parts anyway............Kit

Guest KitCarson
Thank gawd!! I was having trouble keeping track of all your posts!

:sign just kidding::sign20:

just ribbin ya Kit... truthfully, you should write a book coz it would be one I'd probably not be able to put down until I finished.

Never fear......on a new course.........did get disgusted.......ready to quit.....I am smarter now, this evening.......there is definitely two distinct sounds with this engine/transmission.........actually it is all the transmission....one is the gear whine.......the other is the clutch basket..........I did not think so......I was wrong.........yes the gear whine is solved.........at least at high speed.......and if I can ever get rid of this infernal chirp.....we will know about low speed. Will take a few days......maybe several weeks...........but we will have a quiet bike when done. Kit

Guest KitCarson
What year bike are you talking about? It sounds like a 2nd gen instead of a first.

Dick

Yes it is a 2nd gen.......but you cannot catch it :rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Guest DragonSlayer

Kit

Just trying to be clear on this, is this a picture of the part you left out while you ran the engine? And the outer part of the clutch basket was still installed?

Guest KitCarson
Kit

Just trying to be clear on this, is this a picture of the part you left out while you ran the engine? And the outer part of the clutch basket was still installed?

No actually I am learning........what was actually out was the clutch disks and the pressure plates........we had it all out, in fact a bearing rolled off the back side of the rear housing, all that was stuck back on, and what is called the inner boss? That was on too and Cayce used a stack of large washers for a spacer.......just snugged the nut down to hold it all together, had the saddle bag on one side off and had the rear axle out and the drive shaft out, wanted to check that for grease too, He used the spacers so I could hear the transmission run, and we only ran it about two notches above idle for about 20 seconds, well maybe 40, just enough to hear the gears run, does not take long when you know what to listen for. The gears do have a whine to them........but I was wrong to say it was not the clutch.......I now know the chirp.......is the outer basket and inner basket working against each other..........have just spent the last two hours looking for something other than yamaha.........and thinking about the spacer that goes between them.........shim it......really do not know what the proper tolerance would be...do not know where to start. In any event the outer and inner assembly were fitted together with the washers and nut holding them tight when Cayce was done. The actual parts that were out while running were the rings and plates...so I suppose actually what he did to acomodate me was bypass the clutch and hook it solid so there would be no movement of the basket. Cayce is sharp........I am the dummie, but learning fast. So I have mis-expained what he did technically, I suppose......I suppose ha.....that is exactly what I did. so in answer to your question yes the pressure plate in your photo was out...along with the plates and friction rings.......and yes if that was out and no tension on the clutch it would not spin the transmission. so he did what he did so we could hear it run. You would have had to been there I suppose. we had no load on the bike, drive shaft was out.........rear tire out........washers took up the space to hold the basket sections together firmly....which allowed us to hear the gears. And if they cannot move no noise out of that, fellows I am no mechanic, do not claim to be, I am just a person who is trying hard to make it work......I love the bike.....hate the chirp.......got the gear whine under control or I think so, will not be able to tell that for sure.....till I get rid of the chirp........but does sound like the gear whine is gone.

Hope that helps........I am learning.........learning fast now.........got a little disgusted with the whole thing........still have the noise........in a different rpm range........so now we have to do it again......understand there is an A basket and and I basket.......and the chirp is caused by the tolerance between the two sections of a particular basket. .......rubbing together.....or so I now think. Also know it may take even more work.......may take several changes to get one that will stay quiet. At least next time it will not take long, going to buy a hook threader to get that wire in the rear basket in easier next time, that took 20 minutes. Kit

OK, now i'm complety astonished.

When i frist read your Postings, i'd thougt that you took the Assembly out. Everything.

Ok, i thougt, that will cause the Oil Pump not working, but you know what you're doing. Next, i'd thought that you stated, the Noise comes from the Motor, not the prime Gears and not the Transmission ...

Ok, now it seems to be, that everything has changed. It's the Tranny which causes the Noise ?

Ok, forget about it, i'm out at this Point.

Guest KitCarson
OK, now i'm complety astonished.

When i frist read your Postings, i'd thougt that you took the Assembly out. Everything.

Ok, i thougt, that will cause the Oil Pump not working, but you know what you're doing. Next, i'd thought that you stated, the Noise comes from the Motor, not the prime Gears and not the Transmission ...

Ok, now it seems to be, that everything has changed. It's the Tranny which causes the Noise ?

Ok, forget about it, i'm out at this Point.

I am not so sure I really do know......and yes I listened to the motor with all of it out, for just a brief time..........a lot will disagree with me........but to temp, run a motor that has oil in the cylinders, is not bad.........I do it to my boats all the time, especially if launching in a river with a strong current....if the motor will not fire.......battery has been run down because the grandkids have turned something on........has never hurt one of them...motor not the grand kids!...I am sure it would it you let it run to the point it got hot.......but just for a few seconds....and many will jump on me for it......but I have always done this.

Yes Cayce knows what he is doing.......I am just as far as mechanics go. A parts changer....if I know something is bad......okay I can turn a socket and use a torque wrench..........but in trouble shooting something like this........it is very, very involved........I listened to the motor with a steth-a-scope.........played with oil......got a lot of the gear whine gone, before the properly serial numbered new basket came in.........I just recently learned that is how you tell them apart.....visibly could not see any difference.......a little heavier I do think.......and when the transmission kicked up its whine......I was sure this was what was making the harmonics sound and traveling out the main shaft and using the basket and clutch cover to resonate. I think it does some......in fact I was convinced of it......but bottom line there are two different sounds........My high speed ear splitting whine is gone.......but at low rpm.......and when you shift up into 5th gear.....and try to quietly putter through town.......Cricket still chirps........I was so sure it was not the basket.......saw no evil......heard no evil........hear lots of evil when installed and going home........

Okay I will shut up in a minute.........this has actually now become a little fun....I suppose a lot of people would get mad........hey I did get disgusted. I hate to spin my wheels...........but the baskets do chiirp and I understand how now.........where the outer and inner parts match......something is either too tight or too loose.........and rubs and makes the chirp.........this is why it is erratic.......the light bulb has came on!!

I spent till midnight last night looking for some kind of clutch basket for the venture not made by yamaha.........I found some........for smaller motors......some even made of aircraft stainless steel........but none for the big bike..........so I have emailed several parts places and one dealer late last night.......and will follow up with a phone call.......will ask the question again.......is this the right serial number.......and hope for the best......

would like the cover to stay shiny!!! Do not want to take it apart too many times!! So I am going to shut up till we get it resolved.......talking like this is fun......interesting to me......but also confusing if I leave stuff out.......so ...maybe we can even get a dealer to help us out.........eat a little crow.........at least maybe they will let me watch........we do have a great toyota dealer local.......they will come get your car....fix it .......run errands for you.........bring it back to you.........I need to find one of those.......with a mechanic that has changed a dozen baskets or so.......there is some little something, we do not know..........maybe the spacer between the two baskets..........Well enough , till is done. Kit

Ok, so now you admit an error and that't great, you did have me confuzulled for a bit but now I lead you down the path a little further because I tink we is getting close to an answer. The noise I assume, and I assume only at this point, and I need to assume something so that that it gives me a starting point, the noise is mainly coming from the gears, but the gears on their own would not put out the amplification that we tend to hear, so we have a clutch basket that will. In fact, the basket, if looked at a little differently is actually a whole set of tunning forks, you know the kind that muscians use? I say that the vibration from the gears is setting these tuning forks in motion and once that happens we hear the results clearly, that's why some baskets will whine and other don't. With this assumption we need to stop the tunning forks from vibrating and the way I thought to do that was to cut a small groove aroung the end of the forks and install a spring such as is installed at the base of these forks, this would dampen or, hopefully stop the vibration all together and so we might loose our familiar whine. Now I need a used whinning basket to try this with. Any help?

Guest KitCarson
Ok, so now you admit an error and that't great, you did have me confuzulled for a bit but now I lead you down the path a little further because I tink we is getting close to an answer. The noise I assume, and I assume only at this point, and I need to assume something so that that it gives me a starting point, the noise is mainly coming from the gears, but the gears on their own would not put out the amplification that we tend to hear, so we have a clutch basket that will. In fact, the basket, if looked at a little differently is actually a whole set of tunning forks, you know the kind that muscians use? I say that the vibration from the gears is setting these tuning forks in motion and once that happens we hear the results clearly, that's why some baskets will whine and other don't. With this assumption we need to stop the tunning forks from vibrating and the way I thought to do that was to cut a small groove aroung the end of the forks and install a spring such as is installed at the base of these forks, this Have lost a day, forgot all about Monday was a Holiday, so let me say that I wish to clear this clutch basket thing up.......not be stating that yep if you have some parts left over..ssshhhhhhhhhhhh hide them , do not tell anyone!!:rotf::rotf::stirthepot: Or I am still waiting for my windshield, tried to hold my breath in the river last week but had to cheat and rig up a straw for a snorkle..........Ha! This subject is very serious to some very good folks who take it a whole lot more serious than I do....I am not giving up my bike, not going to sue anyone, and I am going to just enjoy it, but am going to from right now state some facts.....keep it that way, and keep you all informed.

Fact one: There are two different kinds of whine or , chirp. Both have their own distinct sound. One is the whine from the cut gears in the transmission. This seems be an easy thing to deal with.......use 15w40 Yamaha 4 Lube. This quiets them...keeps you in compliance with your warranty and it is your choice or not to use lucas oil additive. It helps.......is a good product, used as intended.

Fact Two: The Chirp comes from the clutch baskets cut or square gears where it mates with the primary drive. This is a separate sound than the gear whine.....and this is the one that everyone gets upset about........this is the culprit, the one that makes the high pitched sound that can aggravate you to no end.

Fact Three: This high pitched chirp sound is in fact somewhat magnified by the fact the basket is round, and the sound does bounce into the clutch cover and also the fairings and tall factory windshield do tend to magnify it some.

Okay having said all this.........I am getting smart enough to talk to all of you about this. I have talked to a lot of people, so here are some more facts.

A. The clutch basket that Cayce and I installed is the wrong one...yep sure is........it moved the sound some, but no matter what someone tells you......whatever they say.....or try to tell you.......no matter what some sales person tells you at one of these so called online OEM parts warehouse.........there is only one way to get a bona-fide real, honest to goodness I-basket made by Yamaha. Yamaha has to make and release this new part to a dealer.......they do not provide them to OEM parts houses.........do not believe anyone who tells you different, they may intend well......but will lead you down the road to a whoops!!

B. The I basket has the square gears cut somewhat different.....I have not seen a real one yet.......fixing to....but I will take a photo and post it.........The gears on a real I basket are in fact different........

C. Yamaha does pay the dealership for the labor involved in the repair and replacement of the new I-basket. I asked them. And asked several dealers.....yes they get paid by Yamaha to do the work for the bike. So if a dealer tells you they do not get paid, he is blowing smoke.

D. Last but not least. The I basket will move the sound to a very low rpm level. It will not completely ever entirely remove the chirp. It will put it to a very low rpm. Yamaha and my new dealer both tell me , we wish you to understand, it will help , but it will never completely make this sound go away. Yamaha also gives you a choice, they will through a dealer only, replace an factory basket with the I-basket.....let you ride it and if you like it fine, if you like the other baskets sound better , they will re-install that for you.......take your choice and they are done. No matter what else you hear, that is the facts.

Therefore this coming Thursday, Myself and Cayce are going in to a local dealer, well not local..is like 60 miles away, but sounds like some good folks. They are going to ride Cricket and see how she sounds.........we are going to talk to this service manager and mechanic and decide, exactly what to do.........this shop has some experience under its belt......has dealt with this more than once before........will keep you posted.

Now back to MarCarl, yes you can have my old factory basket., at the moment it is like 90 miles away........and may have two of them soon!! We are going into the dealer Thursday........most likely we will opt to go the yamaha route.........make some new friends and shake a few hands and smile a lot!! Exactly how long this will take........do not know.....most likely 2 weeks to 6 weeks. but yep you can have it.

That is an interesting idea.......in fact I think worth thinking about, sure is. I am not experienced enough to remember if there is room to do this and clear everything or not........I think it would have to be on the outside edge, you would also have to consider the balance of the basket with anything added..........but when you really thing about it is is just like an upside down drum.....gears making noise......amplify the sound.....I have some ideas too.........in fact made a wrench to hold the basket still as a backup.......took a plumbers basket strainer wrench and drilled holes in it and now you can run the bolts into it.......stick them into the basket and presto you can hold backup on it.........

But let me behave for a couple weeks.........I want to present the facts, to all those who read this. To all that are quite concerned about this. This a a great machine this venture is.........it has this one problem......everyone is working on it...........once I have taken this as far as it can go......then I will maybe try to figure out a resolution if needed. I am pretty confident yamaha has invested a lot of time and effort in this thing too.......so when I hear statements like.........I do not think they try.......really they do..so let me behave.......I will act up again in a few weeks.

Respectfully

Kit

Please forgive the spelling......in a hurry.......got to go.........nother flood

Ok, so now you admit an error and that't great, you did have me confuzulled for a bit but now I lead you down the path a little further because I tink we is getting close to an answer. The noise I assume, and I assume only at this point, and I need to assume something so that that it gives me a starting point, the noise is mainly coming from the gears, but the gears on their own would not put out the amplification that we tend to hear, so we have a clutch basket that will. In fact, the basket, if looked at a little differently is actually a whole set of tunning forks, you know the kind that muscians use? I say that the vibration from the gears is setting these tuning forks in motion and once that happens we hear the results clearly, that's why some baskets will whine and other don't. With this assumption we need to stop the tunning forks from vibrating and the way I thought to do that was to cut a small groove aroung the end of the forks and install a spring such as is installed at the base of these forks, this Have lost a day, forgot all about Monday was a Holiday, so let me say that I wish to clear this clutch basket thing up.......not be stating that yep if you have some parts left over..ssshhhhhhhhhhhh hide them , do not tell anyone!!:rotf::rotf::stirthepot: Or I am still waiting for my windshield, tried to hold my breath in the river last week but had to cheat and rig up a straw for a snorkle..........Ha! This subject is very serious to some very good folks who take it a whole lot more serious than I do....I am not giving up my bike, not going to sue anyone, and I am going to just enjoy it, but am going to from right now state some facts.....keep it that way, and keep you all informed.

Fact one: There are two different kinds of whine or , chirp. Both have their own distinct sound. One is the whine from the cut gears in the transmission. This seems be an easy thing to deal with.......use 15w40 Yamaha 4 Lube. This quiets them...keeps you in compliance with your warranty and it is your choice or not to use lucas oil additive. It helps.......is a good product, used as intended.

Fact Two: The Chirp comes from the clutch baskets cut or square gears where it mates with the primary drive. This is a separate sound than the gear whine.....and this is the one that everyone gets upset about........this is the culprit, the one that makes the high pitched sound that can aggravate you to no end.

Fact Three: This high pitched chirp sound is in fact somewhat magnified by the fact the basket is round, and the sound does bounce into the clutch cover and also the fairings and tall factory windshield do tend to magnify it some.

Okay having said all this.........I am getting smart enough to talk to all of you about this. I have talked to a lot of people, so here are some more facts.

A. The clutch basket that Cayce and I installed is the wrong one...yep sure is........it moved the sound some, but no matter what someone tells you......whatever they say.....or try to tell you.......no matter what some sales person tells you at one of these so called online OEM parts warehouse.........there is only one way to get a bona-fide real, honest to goodness I-basket made by Yamaha. Yamaha has to make and release this new part to a dealer.......they do not provide them to OEM parts houses.........do not believe anyone who tells you different, they may intend well......but will lead you down the road to a whoops!!

B. The I basket has the square gears cut somewhat different.....I have not seen a real one yet.......fixing to....but I will take a photo and post it.........The gears on a real I basket are in fact different........

C. Yamaha does pay the dealership for the labor involved in the repair and replacement of the new I-basket. I asked them. And asked several dealers.....yes they get paid by Yamaha to do the work for the bike. So if a dealer tells you they do not get paid, he is blowing smoke.

D. Last but not least. The I basket will move the sound to a very low rpm level. It will not completely ever entirely remove the chirp. It will put it to a very low rpm. Yamaha and my new dealer both tell me , we wish you to understand, it will help , but it will never completely make this sound go away. Yamaha also gives you a choice, they will through a dealer only, replace an factory basket with the I-basket.....let you ride it and if you like it fine, if you like the other baskets sound better , they will re-install that for you.......take your choice and they are done. No matter what else you hear, that is the facts.

Therefore this coming Thursday, Myself and Cayce are going in to a local dealer, well not local..is like 60 miles away, but sounds like some good folks. They are going to ride Cricket and see how she sounds.........we are going to talk to this service manager and mechanic and decide, exactly what to do.........this shop has some experience under its belt......has dealt with this more than once before........will keep you posted.

Now back to MarCarl, yes you can have my old factory basket., at the moment it is like 90 miles away........and may have two of them soon!! We are going into the dealer Thursday........most likely we will opt to go the yamaha route.........make some new friends and shake a few hands and smile a lot!! Exactly how long this will take........do not know.....most likely 2 weeks to 6 weeks. but yep you can have it.

That is an interesting idea.......in fact I think worth thinking about, sure is. I am not experienced enough to remember if there is room to do this and clear everything or not........I think it would have to be on the outside edge, you would also have to consider the balance of the basket with anything added..........but when you really thing about it is is just like an upside down drum.....gears making noise......amplify the sound.....I have some ideas too.........in fact made a wrench to hold the basket still as a backup.......took a plumbers basket strainer wrench and drilled holes in it and now you can run the bolts into it.......stick them into the basket and presto you can hold backup on it.........

But let me behave for a couple weeks.........I want to present the facts, to all those who read this. To all that are quite concerned about this. This a a great machine this venture is.........it has this one problem......everyone is working on it...........once I have taken this as far as it can go......then I will maybe try to figure out a resolution if needed. I am pretty confident yamaha has invested a lot of time and effort in this thing too.......so when I hear statements like.........I do not think they try.......really they do..so let me behave.......I will act up again in a few weeks.

Respectfully

Kit

Please forgive the spelling......in a hurry.......got to go.........nother flood

So who is the Yamaha dealer?

If it is in Sumter, then I would like to ride along. What time would you be leaving?

:)

Guest KitCarson

So who is the Yamaha dealer?

If it is in Sumter, then I would like to ride along. What time would you be leaving?

:)

I take Thursdays off.......Work Saturdays.......I suppose I would leave about 9, get to the dealer from 10 to little after. You are quite welcome to go. Cayce may or may not go......not sure just yet.......he rides a Harley:stirthepot::stirthepot: . I will be traveling right down 378, but did not say that just yet! But you have guessed correctly.

Kit

I take Thursdays off.......Work Saturdays.......I suppose I would leave about 9, get to the dealer from 10 to little after. You are quite welcome to go. Cayce may or may not go......not sure just yet.......he rides a Harley:stirthepot::stirthepot: . I will be traveling right down 378, but did not say that just yet! But you have guessed correctly.

Kit

Thursday I cannot go. Way to much work to do for the production upgrade coming this weekend. I did have a few hours Saturday morning, but that was it.

I definitly wanted to hear the noises you are speaking about. Keep us informed. :080402gudl_prv:

Guest KitCarson

Thursday I cannot go. Way to much work to do for the production upgrade coming this weekend. I did have a few hours Saturday morning, but that was it.

I definitly wanted to hear the noises you are speaking about. Keep us informed. :080402gudl_prv:

I am pretty sure you will be able to hear this particular bike........do not you all have a meet and eat on the 27th of this month? I think it is this coming weekend for College fall break.......not sure about my wife......but I can play hookey for a few hours.......come meet some of you.......I do not even imagine the bike shop will get around to replacing the I basket before that.....does take awhile just to get the part. Might surprise me , but I bet it takes awhile. Kit