IGNORED

THE BIG GAME...play by play

Guest Swifty

Have your 15 minutes of fame in a sport that means little here in the States.

means little? I wonder how many millions more American's were glued to their TV sets than Canadians!!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

O CANADA

http://splitter.lbbhost.com/canada/anflagcan.gifhttp://splitter.lbbhost.com/canada/anflagcan.gif

O Canada! Our home and native land

True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise

The true north, strong and free

From far and wide, O Canada

We stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free

O Canada! We stand on guard for thee

O Canada! We stand on guard for thee.

http://splitter.lbbhost.com/canada/anflagcan.gif http://splitter.lbbhost.com/canada/anflagcan.gif

O Canada! Terre de nos aieux

Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!

Car ton bras sait porter l'épée

Il sait porter la croix!

Ton histoire est une épopée

Des plus brilliants exploix.

Et ta valeur, de foi trempée

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

The first Ice Hockey game in the Olympics was in 1920. However the birth of Hockey came during a professional boxing match in 1898 when Gentleman Jim Corbett fought Iron Face Max Dunavin in Carthage, NY.

As legend has it, Corbett busted Dunavin's jaw in the 23rd round and knocked his dentures out of his mouth...they hit the canvas and the managers ran out into the ring and began trying to sweep the dentures out of the ring with a broom...

And this is where the quotation, "I went to a fight, and a hockey game broke out" came from...

It's all in the history books...just check wikipedia. :rotfl:

Great game. The USA wasn't such a push over as many thought it would be before the tournaments started. And certainly wasn't no landslide win by Canada either in the final for Gold.

How ironic Crosby shot the winning goal after being next to useless during the entire tournament.

Congratulations to Canada's team and a tip of the hat to the US players too.

Larry

USA played an amazing game against the Canadians! The US showed they were playing for the gold and nothing less and they almost accomplished it.

This one will be remembered for a long time on both sides of the border.

In the next Olympics, the pro's of the NHL may not be attending if the owners get their way. Too bad. :confused24:

Guest Swifty
Again, congrats to the Canadians on their win, the comment about the women's team just set me off a bit. I'm going for a ride...what are ya'll up in hockey country going to do?:witch_brew:

:hihi: Come on up here and find out.

:stickpoke:Americans will see us doing many strange things...(to you) :rotfl:

:cold:this time of year we'll be shovelling snow,

:witch_brew:going to work,

:witch_brew:depositing our pay cheques in the bank,

:doh:submitting our income taxes,

:witch_brew:speaking the King's english,

:cool17: and looking forward to cruisin through Texas again this summer

...just another day in the great white north.

Have a great ride, please and thank you. :)

I for one will give Canada it's due, son and I watched the game while working on his car. Didn't understand a thing about it (kinda like soccer!) but it was fun to watch.

Besides, it'll be awhile before they can gloat about anything else!!!!!! :hurts:

Guest Swifty
Hmmmm, now just how many teams in the NHL are in the states??

At least the Buffalo Sabres do better than the Buffalo Bills...

6 NHL teams in Canada... Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal.

The rest are all in the US of A.

See how we share with you guys?

Swifty, I am betting when you were a kid you were the guy that enjoyed poking the stick in the eye of the big dog in the neighbourhood.:rotfl::rotfl:

It was a great game on both sides of the ice, and with all that excitement its too bad that there has to be a winner and loser. I did enjoy this Olympics a lot and hope everyone else did too!

Come on up and visit sometime, now that you know us Canadians better!!!

brian

Again, congrats to the Canadians on their win, the comment about the women's team just set me off a bit. I'm going for a ride...what are ya'll up in hockey country going to do?:witch_brew:

We are going to celebrate being the host country with the most gold medals.....

We are going to celebrate gold in both women's and men's hockey.......

We are going to celebrate the best closing ceremonies in the Olympics history......

We are going to celebrate participating in our most memorable winter Olympics......

Then, tomorrow, we will resume being CANADIANS, we won't shove our accomplishments into our American neighbours faces, (even though some may like to)

We will continue being the BEST hockey nation in the world, for the time being......

And we will continue enjoying having the 2010 Winter Olympics in Canada, the land of true patriot love, the TRUE north strong and free......Yes, we are just as proud of our land, as our American neighbours are of theirs.

And we will continue to enjoy having the U.S.A. as our neighbour, and our FRIENDS, no matter what the sporting event or occasion.

It was an awesome Olympics, one that neither of us will soon forget. Even in death, and triumphant wins, this will be an Olympics that Canadians will NOT soon forget, and we hope, all competitors from around the world. We have set the record of 14 gold medals this Olympics. a mark to be strived for by the many athletes to come in the 2014 Winter Olympics, not matter where they are played out. (Go Russia!)

Will Bill DeMong remember these Olympics? Will his new fiancee? I think so. And so will millions of people around the world. Let's not allow a few simple hockey games to drive a wedge into our relationship,...let's build on the relationship that we have developed over the last few hundred years, and keep it growing as it has in the past.

So....here's to FRIENDLY rivalry, and maintaining and growing relationships developed over the years and in the future to come.

Well done...to our neighbours the U.S.A., and all of the other participating countries!!!!!

gunk:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: