IGNORED

Fuel Shut Off?

clint_1985

Ok, I just bought (today) an 83 Ventrue. I don't want to sound retarded, but this is the first venture i've had. Does the bike have a fuel petcock to turn the fuel off like most bikes? If it does where the heck is it! I'm having trouble with the bike starting. It acts like it isn't getting fuel, so first thought, fuel is turned off. But then I can't find the petcock. SOOOOOO, any helpful hints, tips, and suggestions would be great. The bike seems to be in pretty good shape, ecspecially considering I only paid $400 for it. Thanks!

Ok, I just bought (today) an 83 Ventrue. I don't want to sound retarded, but this is the first venture i've had. Does the bike have a fuel petcock to turn the fuel off like most bikes? If it does where the heck is it! I'm having trouble with the bike starting. It acts like it isn't getting fuel, so first thought, fuel is turned off. But then I can't find the petcock. SOOOOOO, any helpful hints, tips, and suggestions would be great. The bike seems to be in pretty good shape, ecspecially considering I only paid $400 for it. Thanks!

Right side, under side cover, just above passenger foot peg.

If it is an early 83, there won't be a cutout around petcock, have to remove cover. This one only has an ON and OFF position.

Late 83 & up, there is a cutout in side cover, you can see it without removing side cover. Also has RESERVE position.

Also, see this thread.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=438576#post438576

Gary

Ok, so apparantly it's an early 83. It has off and on only and no cut out for the petcock. But I got another problem. the knob is broken off. There is just enough to grab with a pair of vice grips. But do I need to turn it all the way right for on or all the way left? If the knob were there it would be no problem. Anyway, thanks guys.

Pull the left sidecover and look above the rear footpeg there should be a round shaped electric fuel pump visible. Pull the bottom hose off of this. There should be a full flow of gas out of this hose. If not then your fuel filter could be plugged or the petcock is closed. Most people pretty much leave the petcocks open on these bikes because they are such a pain to open and close. When turning on the key do you hear the fuel pump cycle? It will generally cycle for a few seconds to fill the float bowls. If its hard to start and been sitting awhile or you don't know when the spark plugs have been changed. Do that first. Buy new plugs they are relatively cheap but make a world of difference in the starting woes of these bikes. By the way there are no dumb questions. There are alot of very knowledgeable people on this site that will go out of their way to help you. Check out the First Gen tech section on this site. AND:wel_ani4Tay:

Edited by mraf

Ok, thanks for the help guys. I took off the side plate, and I can not hear the fuel pump. I hear a buzzing at the front where the fuel pump relay is supposed to be I believe. But nothing at the pump. SOOOO, that means a new pump. I found the fuel filter there at the pump, so i'm gonna change that in the process. So, I found this in the first gen tech section about a fuel pump from advance #e8055 that someone had used on an 86. Do you guys think this would be ok for my 83? I'm gonna change the plugs, oil, coolant, drain the gas, and change the fuel filter tomorrow. So we'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Before you go out and replace a fuel pump that needs to be replaced, ensure you are getting electricity to the pump. You'll need a decent multi-meter and test the leads going to the pump when you turn it on to see if you're getting electricity.

It could just be a minor electrical issue.

Also, do you have a good repair manual? I've done a lot of repairs on other bikes before, but these Ventures are something unique... With that said, if you're in need of a repair manual, don't hesitate to ask.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forum! Be sure to get a membership before your trial membership expires (Definitely worth it!). I'm just finishing up a near total restoration on an '89 VR and the membership here has paid for itself tenfold!

Remember, the pump only runs momentarily, until you are primed. It can be hard to catch it running sometimes. I would disconnect the line at the fuel filter, run the line into a jug, and then turn the key on, and see that the pump is pumping. Since there will be no backpressure on it, it should continue to run. If it still doesn't run, then check the voltage. It could be a fuse, or (more common), the relay has failed.

Remember, the pump only runs momentarily, until you are primed. It can be hard to catch it running sometimes. I would disconnect the line at the fuel filter, run the line into a jug, and then turn the key on, and see that the pump is pumping. Since there will be no backpressure on it, it should continue to run. If it still doesn't run, then check the voltage. It could be a fuse, or (more common), the relay has failed.

The Pump will stop after 5 to 7 Seconds without a Cranking Signal. AT least that's the Way the Fuel Pump Relay should work. Turn the Key off and on again, Pump starts again for 5 to 7 Seconds. Or hit the Starter Button and create a Fireing Signal. You could put 12 Volts on the Pump Connector with flying Wires and the Pump will work.

Ok, so I changed the spark plugs first thing this morning. The front ones pissed me off. Held my breath, hit the start and bang, first click, started like a dream, purred like a kitten, till the fuel ran out. So i take off the fuel filter, and there is nothing coming out of the line from the gas tank. SOOOO, now i'm guessing that the broken off petcock is turned to off, and no gas is coming from the tank. Blah. I'm now in the process of removing the petcock. Any suggestions?

I'm gonna throw this out there for ya because I had a similar event a while back.

First of all......how much fuel you have in the tank?

Before you pull the petcock you will need to get the fuel out. But if I were you I would try this first.

Remove the seat and you will see the fuel level sending unit on top of the tank. Remove the wires at the plug and the four bolts securing the unit and lift it out. Looking into the tank you will have a good view of the pickup filter on the petcock.

I had rust problems in my tank and the pickup filters on both tubes, (run and reserve) were shot. Not a huge deal on the run pickup but the reserve filter was shot and the rust particles had filled the petcock and was cutting off the fuel supply.

With your single pickup it will be the same as the reserve pickup on a later model. Be right at the surface of the tank body. It might be plugged at that point.

But pulling the sending unit will give you a visual of the inside situation better than pulling the petcock. If it's rust you need to know now before fighting every thing else.

A pic of what you will see when you pull the unit. This is a run/reserve petcock off an '84.

Well, heres where i'm at now. Took the petcock off, not too bad. I just removed the right side muffler to get it out of my way, and used a long screwdriver to take it off. The thing was closed, so here's what I did. I took a drill to it and drilled out the closing insdie the petcock. Ran a new fuel line over to the filter. Put in a shut off valve right behind the fuel filter just in case I ever need too cut it off. Put in a new fuel filter, and hooked her up. I went ahead and checked the fuel pump, and when I turn the switch on, gas will shoot out of the pump, so it's working. SOOOOO, the thing will turn over, but still won't start. I already changed the spark plugs too. The battery is ticking me off though. It's a new battery. I charged it yesterday cause it seemed week. Went out this morning and put it in and the bike started easily till the fuel ran out, but that problem is fixed now I think. But now the battery acts like it's weak again. So I don't know if I bought a dud battery or if the bike is draining the battery somehow. i'm thinking that maybe the battery was just too weak to turn the engine and spark the plugs. I hope....:fingers-crossed-emo Anyway, how can I tell if i'm getting spark? Or if it's something else? Thanks again guys for all the help!

:thumbsup2:

Anyway, how can I tell if i'm getting spark? Or if it's something else? Thanks again guys for all the help!

:thumbsup2:

If you have a spare spark plug, unhook one of the spark plug wires on bike at plug, put in spare plug, ground tip & crank.

You should see spark.

Please note. This can bite you. Suggest having wife or one of kids hold plug and you crank engine - just joking

Gary

Cool, thanks.

Guess What??

I GOT HER RUNNIN!!!!:dancefool:

I drained all the fuel today, put in a new fuel filter, rigged the fuel petcock, put in new spark plugs, and put 2 gallons of premium gas in, charged the battery for the second time, and just went outside a few minutes ago, and got her to crank. It's sittin out there runnin now. Love that sound lol. thanks for all the help guys. looks like i'll be paying for regular membership and stickin around!

:Venture:

Ok. So i cut the bike off, and it wont start back. It's like the battery is too weak, turning over slow. Now i don't know much about how a motorcycle runs. If it's like a car and has an alternator to keep the battery charged. If so, could this be the problem? Also, I think it may have ran hot. The temp gauge is broken apparantly so I really don't know if it was actually running hot. It was'nt smoking or anything like a car usually does. Maybe the thermostat needs replacement? Also, about the battery. The guy I got it from said it had to have a gel battery? I've got a regular ol' battery. Could this be the problem? I appreciate all the help given so far, and look forward to your responses!! Also, I may not be on for a few days. I work in Law Enforcement and go back to work this evening (Sat). I have to pull a double shift Sat and Sun, so i'll be on in before I go to work some, but then it may be Mon or Tues before i'm back on. thanks for the help again!!

The motorcycle charging system is similar to an automobile's. However, the major components are separated out.

Everything you wanted to know about a motorcycle charging system is here:

http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm

Read "The Stator Papers" about halfway down the page.

I found out about these priceless write-ups when I owned a GS850. Those GS850's were/are nearly bulletproof with one exception: the charging system - which can be easily remedied.

Anyways, read those papers and they'll tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about a motorcycle's charging system.

Ok. So i cut the bike off, and it wont start back. It's like the battery is too weak, turning over slow. Now i don't know much about how a motorcycle runs. If it's like a car and has an alternator to keep the battery charged. If so, could this be the problem? Also, I think it may have ran hot. The temp gauge is broken apparantly so I really don't know if it was actually running hot. It was'nt smoking or anything like a car usually does. Maybe the thermostat needs replacement? Also, about the battery. The guy I got it from said it had to have a gel battery? I've got a regular ol' battery. Could this be the problem? I appreciate all the help given so far, and look forward to your responses!! Also, I may not be on for a few days. I work in Law Enforcement and go back to work this evening (Sat). I have to pull a double shift Sat and Sun, so i'll be on in before I go to work some, but then it may be Mon or Tues before i'm back on. thanks for the help again!!

My 83 doesn't start moving the temp gauge until I have been ont it for 15-30 minutes.

The charging system will drain the battery at an idle. It takes 1500 - 2000 rpm before it starts charging.

If it won't start hot check the spark again. Coils can break down when heated.

Other possible culprits are a loss of compression when warmed up due to various internal engine components like valve train.

CDI could be borderline on it.

See this thread for 83-85 service manual download.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43688

Gary

Ok, thanks guys. That makes sense then about the battery. I let it sit and idle for about 45 minutes. The temp gauge never moved from the very bottom way below the reading area. And i'm not sure it was running hot. The fan kicked on once that I know of, but I came inside. When I went out the fan was not running. When I turned the bike off, I could hear the water boiling. So, I don't know. Thanks again for all the help!

Well, shes starting good now. The starter is slow turning so I'm prolly gonna need a new starter soon. Question about the oil filter housing. I replaced the rubber o ring around the housing, and on the bolt. Now i'm leaking oil from the bottom of the housing. So what did I do wrong?

Thanks guys!