IGNORED

Test drove a GW1800

frankd

Yesterday, Barbara and I test rode a full boat '08 GW 1800. It sure is a lot different than the 1200 Venture. It is the smoothest (both ride AND motor) motorcycle I've ever ridden, and also the quietest. A lot less wind noise than the Venture, and way less sound from the motor and exhaust (My Venture has stock mufflers). The GW has a little less leg room, but you are much closer to the ground than the Venture. Barbara had a bit more leg room, plus the passenger portion of the seat was bigger.

Had some things I didn't like though. First off, the motor doesn't have much personality. It didn't have the snarl the Venture does when you shift it at about 4 grand. You sit much further forward, and this puts you much closer to the windshield and gives you a lot less arm room. After about 40 miles, I could feel cramps in my arms. The dealer said that somebody makes an adapter that allows you to move the handle bars further forward, but they are not adjustable like the Ventures are in stock form (although my Venture's are still in the 'stock' position). The GW doesn't counter-steer as easy as the Venture, it resisits changing course. It's a pretty bike, but I'm not sure I'd like it.

Interesting. I drove the GL1800 and thought that it was very similar in seating position and handling to the 86 Venture that I was looking at. Nice bike, but keeping an extra $14,000 in my pocket made for a very convincing argument to be the Venture (which, by the way, is my 3rd). If mine ever dies and I can't find a decent 1st gen to replace it, the Wing would be my choice over a 2nd gen. It just seems to fit like a 1st gen.

Might make an interesting poll to see what other 1st gen owners would do in that situation.

I had a 2002 wing I bought new and it was an awsome bike for 70,000 miles, pretty much trouble free. I now have a 2007 RSV and I really like it. The wing is much peppier and I found it to handle great, especially in the twisties. My only complaint with the wing is the seating position for the driver is kinda tough on the "boys" after a few miles. Also, I like the sportier cruiser look of the RSV. You won't find a better bike than the wing and I will probably go back to it in a couple years when i retire and have it triked.

Eddie:)

FrankD i was just curious how tall you are?

My husband is 6'2" and really was not comfortable with the leg position on the wing. We know it is an excellent bike, but I agree with Eddy we like the classic look of the RSV.

And I am sure there are those who perfer the Wing. To each his own!

Peggy

Guest BillFoltz

Now that's a toughy. I do like the looks of the RSV, and I believe I will see significant improvement in handling when when I put the new Avon tires on her, at least I did when I put them on the Suzuki Cavalcade. I also enjoy the feel of the RSV, it just fits good. But it does have some annoyancies I would get rid of in a heart beat. The clutch basket it noisy, the cruise control does not hold like the Cavalcade (you push the button and it stays there, and it does not drop out.), and I would appreciate fuel injected instead of carburetors. The reason for that has to do more with economics rather than preformance. With fuel prices the way they are, I can use every bit of gas mileage I can get. I live on my bike.

You can't take anything away from a Wing, after all, they are the standard by which the big road bikes are judged and for good reason. But then the RSV and the Wing are not the same bike, so you can't compare apples and oranges. Each bike has its own character and and each bike must be appreciated for what it is, i.e. a great road bike that fills its own niche.

Do I want a Wing? Of course I do, but I don't want to spend the big $$$$ to buy one when I have a perfectly good RSV that satisfies most of my needs.

:322:

Might make an interesting poll to see what other 1st gen owners would do in that situation.

I'm pretty much sold on the RSV. I prefer it's looks to that of the Wing and I've never been one to want a "cadillac". Either next summer or the following one, I will be searching for "my" RSV, most likely I'll be bringing it up from somewhere south of the border. It will be exactly what I want and will be the last scoot I will buy.

Well here is my story. I love the second gen. I like the cruiser styling. If I had to trade right now and there was no longer a 2nd gen, I would most likely go with an Ultra Classic.

Now I've owned 3 first gens and they are just not ergonomically friendly for my build or something. But if I WERE riding a first gen and really liked it and found the time had come to replace it, the BMW K1200LT would be near the top of the list.

:confused24: Either you like them or you don't. Either they fit you or they don't. I'm 6'03" and can't stand the rider position on a Wing. If you say a guy 7' tall can ride one, okay. I can't. Some people think a sport bike is comfortable, too! I don't. I have to be honest that I haven't ridden a new Wing. But I just don't fit on any of the older models that I've tried.

I've always loved Guzzi's and always wanted one (okay so I'm a little wierd). I bought an '03 Cal. EV Touring two years ago. The rider position (to me) was very similar to a Wing. I thought that I would get used to it. :think: I tried different seats. I tried pegs vs. boards. I moved the handle bars. :bang head: I put 12k agonizing miles on the bike. Then I traded it for an '07 RSTD.

:happy34: That fixed it!!!!

Drifter

wings are beautiful but not motorcycle looking enough for me.leg position would not work with my bad legs. can't afford one.concours or fjr would be my choice for a sport tourer.i settled for a v-star 1300 to replace my rstd,and so far it's doing a great job.i can do low speed maneuvers that i could never do on my royalstar.handles so good that i have to be careful not to overdue it in the curves,even two up. i really totally enjoy riding it.only major complaint is transmission ratios and noise.i'm getting used to that. :)

I have to be honest that I haven't ridden a new Wing. But I just don't fit on any of the older models that I've tried.

Drifter

I agree on the old ones. I had an 1100 and a 1500 and both were tight in the leg room, and my feet felt like they were being pinned backwards. But the 1800 seemed to fit much better.

No question that it's all a matter of taste. Some like the cruiser look; I like the full tour look. That BMW would have to be in the running too. I even tried on the new Concours 1400 the other day. Much more comfortable for me than the old one, but the wife still didn't like her positioning, so you know that one wouldn't stand a chance of making the list!

No question that it's all a matter of taste. Some like the cruiser look; I like the full tour look. That BMW would have to be in the running too. . .

I have to say that I test rode an '06 Beamer before I bought my RSTD and to me I felt all cramped up and bent forward just like the Wings I've ridden. But I guess if that's what you like, go for it! I know there are always Beamers in the top finishers in the Iron Butt runs every year so they must be comfortable to somebody. Then again, I chose the RSTD over the Venture because I like the better visibility of a windshield vs. a full fairing. There's not that much difference in price. I do wish I had the trunk though. I even considered buying a new rack and trunk when I bought the bike. Everyone has their preferences!

Ride Safe and Happy Trails!

Drifter

This weekend I rode my bike to Panama City Florida which is about 170 miles. I wore my shorty helmet so I used ear plugs. Even with the ear plugs all I could hear was the screaming whine of the transmission. I was so disgusted with the whine that I went by the Honda dealer saturday to see about trading for a gold wing. They had a beautiful pearl white wing. I like the styling, the storage space, and the lights on the rear but I just don't feel comfortable. Oh how I wish yamaha could do something to stop the screaming whine. If it wasn't for the whine I would be compeletly happy with the venture. It's a shame to have something like the whine spoil the enjoyment of the venture.

Hey frankd,

I took a wing out for a test drive on Wed after getting a little ticked off by a Yamaha dealer. I was on the wing for about 30 minutes and here is what I noticed.

1) the wing is a much different seating position then the RSV, I'm only 5'6'' so I did not have any issues with my knees being to far foward. I do like the cruising position of the RSV, but a set of highway peg on the wing will make a big difference.

2) I could really feel to road thru the handle bars on the wing, it seemed like a little more of a ridged ride then the RSV.

3) POWER! oooh my god, the power of that 1800 was incredible. I loved how quick and smoooooth it was.

4) instrument panel. It was nice seeing a full set a gages.

5) No CB, the wing does not come standard with a CB like the RSV

6) the 1800 is said to be good for 300,00 mile. The RSV ?

7) the reverse on the wing is kinda cool and I sure I cound get some use out of it.

I'm looking to by right now and can get a new wing for around 17,000. and a new RSV for 15,000 or so. I'm pretty much a mess trying to make my choice. One minute I want the wing and the next minute I want the RSV. Ooooh, what to do, what to do.

Hey frankd,

I took a wing out for a test drive on Wed after getting a little ticked off by a Yamaha dealer. I was on the wing for about 30 minutes and here is what I noticed.

1) the wing is a much different seating position then the RSV, I'm only 5'6'' so I did not have any issues with my knees being to far foward. I do like the cruising position of the RSV, but a set of highway peg on the wing will make a big difference.

2) I could really feel to road thru the handle bars on the wing, it seemed like a little more of a ridged ride then the RSV.

3) POWER! oooh my god, the power of that 1800 was incredible. I loved how quick and smoooooth it was.

4) instrument panel. It was nice seeing a full set a gages.

5) No CB, the wing does not come standard with a CB like the RSV

6) the 1800 is said to be good for 300,00 mile. The RSV ?

7) the reverse on the wing is kinda cool and I sure I cound get some use out of it.

I'm looking to by right now and can get a new wing for around 17,000. and a new RSV for 15,000 or so. I'm pretty much a mess trying to make my choice. One minute I want the wing and the next minute I want the RSV. Ooooh, what to do, what to do.

I can't tell you what to do, but I'll say this: if you do buy an RSV, pray pray pray that you don't get one with that infernal CHIRP. It'll make you sick to your stomach....

I can't tell you what to do, but I'll say this: if you do buy an RSV, pray pray pray that you don't get one with that infernal CHIRP. It'll make you sick to your stomach....

I had an 05 without the Chirp, and like a fool I sold it.

Peggy, I'm 6'2", but I'm long in the torso, and only have a 32" inseam. The legroom was a bit less than my 1st Gen. but I could live with it. However, the seat put you so far forward that I didn't have room for my arms to feel comfortable. I also noticed that the 'boyz' didn't have enough room.

I've thought back to the test ride I took on a Venture before I bought mine in '83. Both my wife and I agreed, we loved it. The only thing we didn't like was the color (of the test bike---black). I walked in handed the dealer the keys and told him I'd take the first red one he got in. I think that means that the 'Wing isn't for us.

Ken, I wouldn't be surprised if you find some 2nd gen VRs with 300K. There used to be a couple of 1st Gens with a lot of miles on them on one of the earlier forums. One of them was up in Canada and had about 400,000 kilometers, or 250,000 miles. The owner parked it outside a mall and an old lady backed into it, totaling it.