IGNORED

'99 RSV Tire Size Discrepancy

I got a quote today on new Metzlers for my '99 RSV. $140 for the front and $165 for the rear. Interestingly enough, the width of the rear is a 15, and the front is a 16. I've read quite a bit about many RSV riders switching to a more narrow front tire and wheel, but both my mechanic and my tire guy strongly advised against this due to the way the RSV is engineered compared to a similar size V-twin bike. Any comments about this from those who have made the move to a skinnier front wheel? I'd be interested in some feedback on this before I get the new rubber. Thanks!

Consider Avons or Michellins. The avon cobra is excellent on the frount, it is a little smaller than stock physically but is the same number size, 150/80/16.

Read the darkside forum on here there is a lot of tire info there.

There are also many threads about tires in other areas of this site.

Gregg

I got a quote today on new Metzlers for my '99 RSV. $140 for the front and $165 for the rear. Interestingly enough, the width of the rear is a 15, and the front is a 16. I've read quite a bit about many RSV riders switching to a more narrow front tire and wheel, but both my mechanic and my tire guy strongly advised against this due to the way the RSV is engineered compared to a similar size V-twin bike. Any comments about this from those who have made the move to a skinnier front wheel? I'd be interested in some feedback on this before I get the new rubber. Thanks!
The 15 and 16 are wheel diameter. The 150 part is the tire width. The other number is sidewall height. You don't need the V speed rating.

FWIW I have leveling links so I didn't go to the narrower front. I'm under that impression that if you don't have links the narrower tire can help handling, but tends to follow snakes and grooves more. I also prefer Avon Venoms.

The 15 and 16 are wheel diameter. The 150 part is the tire width. The other number is sidewall height. You don't need the V speed rating.

FWIW I have leveling links so I didn't go to the narrower front. I'm under that impression that if you don't have links the narrower tire can help handling, but tends to follow snakes and grooves more. I also prefer Avon Venoms.

I'm with Steve 100%, as others mentioned LOTS of problems with Metzlers, you may want to go with a different tire. As far as your tire guys, I have used the 130 size front tire on my '99 RSV and had zero issues with it. It steers quicker and gives the bike a more neutral steering feeling. It also has a tendency to drift on the Exway at higher speeds, but no real issues. I use the stock size and have leveling links like Bummer

:2cents:

I'm with Steve 100%, as others mentioned LOTS of problems with Metzlers, you may want to go with a different tire. As far as your tire guys, I have used the 130 size front tire on my '99 RSV and had zero issues with it. It steers quicker and gives the bike a more neutral steering feeling. It also has a tendency to drift on the Exway at higher speeds, but no real issues. I use the stock size and have leveling links like Bummer

:2cents:

Higher speeds??? You must be talking about your 1st Gen!!!!:sign bring it on:

I put a 130 front tire on a few years ago and was amazed at how much lighter the front end felt, felt like I took 100 lbs. off the forks. Like Squidley said, it steers much quicker. Haven't tried the leveling links, but have heard some good reports on them.

Dave

The Dunlop Elite III is the other popular tire here.

I recently went with the Avon Venom rear, but don't have many miles on it yet.

I put the Avon Venom rear just before doing Cody in September. I had been runing an Elite II, and didn't really notice any difference in handling. Basically forgot it was there. The big handling improvement came with the front tire.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I had always run Dunlops on my previous bikes (VTX and Shadow ACE), but I bought this RSV from a retired Yami engineer who had it since new ('99), and he always ran Metzlers. When I got the bike last March, the tires had 18K on them, and since then I've run it almost 25K, and while they are getting a little thin on the center strip, they STILL have usable tread, especially in the front. The milage has been amazing on these tires, and I have experienced zero handling problems. I also get outstanding gas milage - - usually in the mid to upper 40's in all conditions. So while I appreciate the personal preferences toward Avon and Dunlop, I can't see fixing what isn't broke. I guess we'll see how this new set holds up. Thanks again! :banana::banana:

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I had always run Dunlops on my previous bikes (VTX and Shadow ACE), but I bought this RSV from a retired Yami engineer who had it since new ('99), and he always ran Metzlers. When I got the bike last March, the tires had 18K on them, and since then I've run it almost 25K, and while they are getting a little thin on the center strip, they STILL have usable tread, especially in the front. The milage has been amazing on these tires, and I have experienced zero handling problems. I also get outstanding gas milage - - usually in the mid to upper 40's in all conditions. So while I appreciate the personal preferences toward Avon and Dunlop, I can't see fixing what isn't broke. I guess we'll see how this new set holds up. Thanks again! :banana::banana:

Did you just say you got 43k (43,000) on a rear tire.:confused07: WOW

I even have the purchase and maintenance records from the previous owner to prove it. I check my tires all the time because I always expected that at any time the threads would start busting through, but it never happened. But I'm not going to tempt fate. I'm getting new rubber pretty soon, certainly before the nice weather shows up (hopefully soon!)

:draming:

My guess is that Bobby has a speedohealer that's programmed wrong. Or maybe his bike reads in KM's.

:innocent:

:happy65: Maybe! LOL....

Actually, I did think that for awhile the odo's were way off, but we track them to the clicks ridden with the other bikes we ride with, including my wife's Softail, and they are all within .5 to 1 mile of each other on both the odo and the tripmeters. I think I just lucked out with a phenominal set of tires and a very well tuned bike. No other real explanation for it.

The scoot goes in today for it's new rubber change out, and all of the fluids/filters get swapped out next week. The bank account is going to take a nice hit, but the bike will be ready for some serious riding in the beautiful mountains of GA, TN and NC!

Let's go!

:thumbsup:

If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it either. I've ridden with Bobby on almost all of those miles and it is true. Thought I could keep up with that but we took a trip from GA to PA last year. My rear Avon shreaded by the time we got to VA (tread was getting low when we left but had no idea it would go that quickly).