IGNORED

Front and rear tire pressure

Good Morning All,

On Tuesday of next week I'm going to have new Dunlop Elite 3 put on front and rear. On the Dunlop web site it says to run 36# in the front and 40# in the rear. Is this what all you Elite 3 runners are putting in? This seems a bit low to me as I've been running 40# front and 43# rear in the stock stones. Want to get the best life out of these tires as possible!

Thanks!

That sounds too low to me also.

I have the Michelin Commanders and run 38#'s Front and Rear and the results are nothing short of excellent for handling,cornering,braking,and riding in heavy rain.

Boomer.....who never could remember the different pressures for each tire anyhow.:crackup:

The Yamaha Manual will say otherwise in terms of psi...and we all know that the spec. is too low even for me. I think Yamaha Manual recommends 36 psi Front and Rear.

On my current Bridgestones aka rockstones:crackup:and currently 11K + miles on the rear, I've been running 37 Front and 40 Rear. IMO, as long as you do not exceed the tire manufacturer's maximum psi rating and take into account the load rating of the tire...you should not have any problems. Of course, the more pressure you put on the tire, the longer your tires may last as long as you can take a little bit of harshness on the bumps.

E3s are widely accepted in this forum. Ride Safe.

Run what is wrote on the sidewall for an E3...anything over that you are over inflated.

36 front and 40 rear.

These are not Avons that are designed to run close to 50 PSI.

Over inflation cause tire failure (Plus premature wear)...something that can ruin a good riding day with trips to the hospital or if you are lucky...just put you on the side of the road till help arrives.

Good Morning All,

On Tuesday of next week I'm going to have new Dunlop Elite 3 put on front and rear. On the Dunlop web site it says to run 36# in the front and 40# in the rear. Is this what all you Elite 3 runners are putting in? This seems a bit low to me as I've been running 40# front and 43# rear in the stock stones. Want to get the best life out of these tires as possible!

Thanks!

Remember, the quoted pressures are meant for a 160 lbs rider and his / her 160 lbs passenger.. When you look around, how many wee people do you see in an average day?

Being of a, ahem, bigger size, I run my E3s at 40 psi front and 42 rear.. I got excellent miles off the last set and even nicer miles off the 2nd set..

Remember, the quoted pressures are meant for a 160 lbs rider and his / her 160 lbs passenger.. When you look around, how many wee people do you see in an average day?

Being of a, ahem, bigger size, I run my E3s at 40 psi front and 42 rear.. I got excellent miles off the last set and even nicer miles off the 2nd set..

I hope no one decides to follow your example here, as 42 lbs exceeds the max pressure rating for that rear tire, and it is potentially dangerous (E3 front is 41 lbs max, E3 rear is 40 lbs max).

Two pounds over may not be overly dangerous itself, as many tire gauges are off by more than that, but consider the potential if your gauge is already reading 5 lbs low, and then you put an extra 2 lbs in on top of that? The best advice is to always make sure you use a gauge you KNOW is accurate, and then never exceed the max pressure stamped on the tire sidewall. And be sure to check EACH tire you have; it is easy to be mistaken! For example, the usual Avon Venom is rated for 50 lbs on the sidewall, but if you make a mistake and buy the V rated Venom in the same size, it has a much lower max rating.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Run what is wrote on the sidewall for an E3...anything over that you are over inflated.

36 front and 40 rear.

These are not Avons that are designed to run close to 50 PSI.

Over inflation cause tire failure (Plus premature wear)...something that can ruin a good riding day with trips to the hospital or if you are lucky...just put you on the side of the road till help arrives.

38-39 up front & 40 to 42 in the rear, (42 while pulling the trailer)

I hope no one decides to follow your example here, as 42 lbs exceeds the max pressure rating for that rear tire, and it is potentially dangerous (E3 front is 41 lbs max, E3 rear is 40 lbs max).

Two pounds over may not be overly dangerous itself, as many tire gauges are off by more than that, but consider the potential if your gauge is already reading 5 lbs low, and then you put an extra 2 lbs in on top of that? The best advice is to always make sure you use a gauge you KNOW is accurate, and then never exceed the max pressure stamped on the tire sidewall. And be sure to check EACH tire you have; it is easy to be mistaken! For example, the usual Avon Venom is rated for 50 lbs on the sidewall, but if you make a mistake and buy the V rated Venom in the same size, it has a much lower max rating.

Goose

Not doubting your word on what the tire label says, I always thought it WAS 42 on the rear.. ouch.. I take my tire gauges in to the base and have them calibrated at the pneumatics shop once in a while and they are holding up well..

Thanks for the heads up.

I guess this goes in the same catagory as "Acceptable Risk" that folks are willing to take.

If you are running more than the side wall says as MAX pressure...you are assuming un-neccessary risk.

Why take the chance...we want all of you to be as safe a possible so we can meet and eat and have a jolly old time.

I guess this goes in the same catagory as "Acceptable Risk" that folks are willing to take.

If you are running more than the side wall says as MAX pressure...you are assuming un-neccessary risk.

Why take the chance...we want all of you to be as safe a possible so we can meet and eat and have a jolly old time.

Well all of this did put a chill in my spine.. I'd been running 40 front and 42 rear for the longest of time but now I'm remembering the Goldwinger who came off his bike at 60 mph because he said his front tire blew and it was an E3 and he was quite the large fellah.. I'm wondering if he might have over inflated his tire to cause a premature failure..

Acceptable risk on a bike is dangerous considerations..

I'll have to relook my pressure situation in the spring.. HMMMMMM

One mans unnecessary risk is another mans standard operating procedure and I would never presume to tell some one else how to run.

That being said, side wall max inflation numbers at max weight are just that. Maximum x maximum. If I'm not running max weight I don't run max air.

That and I like a soft ride. My E3's generally carry 38 and 35, aft and fore respectively. With only 1K miles on them it's too soon to see what that's going to do to longevity.

:2cents::2cents::2cents:

The recommended maximum pressure is there for a reason, but there is a pretty good safety margin. The manufacturer has to list a max pressure that will not result in a significant rate of failure when...

1) a tire pressure gauge (or pump) is slightly out of calibration

2) a tire may be in the low-acceptable range of production quality

3) a tire may be substantially worn, but still above the wear bars

4) a heavier-than-normal load is being carried

5) changing ambient temperature or significant changes in altitude

6) measuring cold tire pressure (as directed) and driving on HOT asphalt at high speeds (this makes a huge pressure difference)

Having said all of this, I usually stay at or slightly below the maximum sidewall rating and check pressure frequently, especially on trips. I don't attempt to push the safety cushion that the manufacturer has built-in in order to minimize the liklihood of failures which result in expen$ive lawsuits.

Ross

For the last 6 months I've been using the TIRE GUARD PRESSURING MONITORS. It really amazes me how fast the pressure goes up when under way! Like I said in my previous post, I've been running 40# front and 43# rear. In a matter of 3-4 miles the pressure goes up to about 44# front and 48# rear. That's in moderate ambient temps. If it's real warm out, those pressures go up faster and I have seen it as high as 46# front and 51# rear. You can also see the tire temps, and that's also very interesting. I've seen the tire temps as high as 95 degrees in the front and 109 degrees in the rear on a real hot day. What I really like about the monitor system is on those occasions that things just don't feel right, (usually due to road surface), it's nice to look down and know you don't have a tire going down. And if it is, you can catch it before it gets hot and causes a blow out!

Just food for thought...