IGNORED

does warranty cover groaning shock?

Ebabe

I would suggest that it does ... don't wait, get it in and have the dealer make a committment to cover it.

At least get a WO started before the warranty ends and have the dealer advise you if warranty does or doesn't cover it.

its the sound of the shock. Hop up and down on if a few times, and see if it stops....

If you have a decent dealer he can replace it under warranty. Some of the dealers up here were changing them and I am sure they tell Yamaha it was bad.

With the number of them that go bad, I doubt Yamaha wants to see them back at the factory.

Brad

A tad of WD-40 on that shock made the groan go away on my scoot. Didn't do much for the inherent "whine" tho.........:yikes:

Boomer.....who says don't blame me...I didn't design these scoots and neither did Willie G.:innocent:

But surely the "whine" goes away once you get off the bike Boomer :stirthepot::stirthepot::confused24::confused24::duck::duck::duck:

I would suggest that it does ... don't wait, get it in and have the dealer make a committment to cover it.

At least get a WO started before the warranty ends and have the dealer advise you if warranty does or doesn't cover it.

This is the best advice. Take it in and complain about it; specifically request a warranty repair. They might do it, but unlikely. Just make sure to get the paperwork from them that clearly states your complaint and denial of warranty repair. Then if the shock fails within a reasonable time after warranty expires, you have solid ground for demanding warranty fix. In the US the law requires a manufacturer to stand behind any fault that was identified prior to the expiration of the warranty - this includes both a failed repair as well as a problem that was not repaired. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I have the groaning shock issue on my 2007 RSV. It started at about 18,000 kms and still does it now at 42,000 kms. I asked my dealer to check into it EVERY time I had it in for an oil change at the regular intervals. They checked and lubed swingarm bushings a couple of times but that did not help. I asked them if they had any concerns if I put some fork oil in through the Shraeder valve as suggested on one of the posts here. That also did not help even after a few tries.

I continued to ask my dealer to do something about it every time I had it in. They eventually told me that it was "normal" to make this sound. I then asked them if the brand new 2009 RSV sitting on their showroom floor did it, and they replied "no". SO... I said to them that if the new bike does not do it, then my bike, which according to them is all "normal" should also not do it. If the correct and intended (normal) operation is quiet, then there must be something wrong with mine. Eventually, after several emails to Yamaha Canada they have agreed to change my shock. I will be taking it in first thing in the spring. I am getting the clutch I basket changed at the same time.

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's the current scoop: The groaning stopped, but after changing oil, I looked at bottom of shock and thought it looked clean, but when I touched it I discovered the leaking oil! My dealer said no problem. To replace next week under warranty. :hurts:

Ebabe

I have the groaning shock issue on my 2007 RSV. It started at about 18,000 kms and still does it now at 42,000 kms. I asked my dealer to check into it EVERY time I had it in for an oil change at the regular intervals. They checked and lubed swingarm bushings a couple of times but that did not help. I asked them if they had any concerns if I put some fork oil in through the Shraeder valve as suggested on one of the posts here. That also did not help even after a few tries.

I continued to ask my dealer to do something about it every time I had it in. They eventually told me that it was "normal" to make this sound. I then asked them if the brand new 2009 RSV sitting on their showroom floor did it, and they replied "no". SO... I said to them that if the new bike does not do it, then my bike, which according to them is all "normal" should also not do it. If the correct and intended (normal) operation is quiet, then there must be something wrong with mine. Eventually, after several emails to Yamaha Canada they have agreed to change my shock. I will be taking it in first thing in the spring. I am getting the clutch I basket changed at the same time.

As with my " I " basket ... it seems you have to "badger" Yamaha sometimes to get satisfaction. Point being, don't take "NO" for the first (or even third) answer.

They tried to pull that "normal" & "characteristic" B/S on me too.

My dealer said no problem. To replace next week under warranty. :hurts:

Ebabe

That is exactly what happened with my shock last year (Nov 08). The dealer checked all the likely reasons it would groan especially when it was cold. They replaced the shock (Nov 08) without hesitation under warranty and has been fine since. If your rear shock is groaning or has oil residue and your in warranty get it fixed while you can. If the dealer does not know what to do check with a different dealer or contact Yamaha directly. The rear shock is replaceable under warranty when it makes noise or has an oil residue. :080402gudl_prv: