IGNORED

speedometer question

does anyone know about the difference in gearing between a kph vs mph speedometer.

i have a kilometers per hour unit that the odometer went belly up and Bongobob was kind enough to give me a unit that is miles per hour. the gears inside both units look identicle, is the front wheel gearing different or is the gearing in the speedos different?:think:

Could it be the same internally, but with different graphics on the front of the speedo.

Gary

Scott - While I don't know for sure, I think the same as Gary. In fact, I have seen vehicles with both miles and kms on the speedo dial, so you could read whatever scale you preferred and, for example, 100km/hr was at the same point on the speedo scale as 62 mph.

Could it be the same internally, but with different graphics on the front of the speedo.

There was a link to a picture on here at one time of a Kilo unit but it is gone now.

Gary

Of course the main, trip counters would be in miles & not Km + reversed graphics. :2cents:

but the odometer counts differently. 100 kilometers equals 60 miles.

can one of our USA members check something for me. unscrew the speedo cable, rotate the front tire and count how many times the speedo gear turns for one rotation of the front tire.

thanks

One rotation of front tire is almost exactly 3 revolutions of the speedometer cable at top. This is American format bike (MPH)

How did he do this so quickly you ask?

Picture below is of my once nice looking 1st gen all decked out for its winter rework.

Gary

One rotation of front tire is almost exactly 3 revolutions of the speedometer cable at top. This is American format bike (MPH)

Picture below is of my once nice looking 1st gen all decked out for its winter rework.

Gary

You find what you were looking for in there yet?? Be a good time to change the plug wires.:confused24:

Gary, you didnt have to do that just for me:rotfl:, but thank you:thumbsup2:

Gary

The speed is the same... just switch out the faces (quite easy actually!) Be sure to remove both screws holding the speedo mechanism in place and then pull it out, minding the cutout in the face to guide the temp needle stem through. As for the odometer, I'm sure you could remove the good working one and install it on the new "good" speedometer.

does anyone know about the difference in gearing between a kph vs mph speedometer.

i have a kilometers per hour unit that the odometer went belly up and Bongobob was kind enough to give me a unit that is miles per hour. the gears inside both units look identicle, is the front wheel gearing different or is the gearing in the speedos different?:think:

Thats a darn good question, I hadnt thought about that. I have issues with the gear on the front wheel acting up once in a while so i got a different one shipped up here to replace mine. I guess i had better do some counting and checking before i do the swap. Thanks for the heads up!!

Brian